» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 665

0 members and 665 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Catching Ball with Racquet"

A year ago, I found Oscar's site and after purchasing the DVDs, started unlearning many of the things that I was taught with expensive formal tennis lessons back in the 70's, and so far I am having more fun playing better tennis than ever.

A few weeks ago, my tennis partner injured his shoulder (not playing tennis) and a friend asked me to teach him to play. I thought this would be a great time to test Oscar's methods on a person who has played very little.

Last night which was our 4th session, he was doing pretty good, and occasionally, I would stop our playing to bring him back to the basics of "Find, Feel, Finish. I reminded him to "catch the ball with the racquet and throw it back" and then he said, "like this?"..and picked the ball up, turned toward the fence, placed the ball on the string bed, and with a short take back threw the ball toward the fence and followed though beautifully. I said yes, that's the idea, and we both practiced that technique for a few minutes. We then started a test rally, and lo and behold, this became our longest rally since the beginning and I lost count at 10! These were not patty cake strokes, as I was hitting the ball with lots of pace. I was having a hard time because I was laughing almost hysterically with joy, because I was watching a newbie in his 4th lesson consistently returning the ball to me...LIKE A PRO!! Honestly, that part of his tennis looked just like a pro with a short take back and beautiful follow though. Here is a 40 year guy who only played a couple times in high school, never played any ball sports (he liked wrestling, weight lifting, etc.) hitting like a pro with a beautiful follow though, and this 61 year old (that's me) who played for a number of years in the 70's and now have been playing the last 3 years, jumping up and down and shouting on the court after a long rally with glee!! I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!! He said he does not even have to think about his follow though anymore.

Any of you out there that are hesitating in getting Oscar's DVDS and either learning or relearning tennis, DON'T HESITATE ANY LONGER...YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME!!

Have Fun!!

P.S. My friend is now hooked and getting new racquets for himself, his wife (who played on her high school tennis team) and his two teen sons, plus Oscar's DVDs.

Happiness

Dear Chips 2000,

I loved your success story and it makes me very happy that you are having such fun with tennis and the method. I get tons of e mails of players and coaches with a renewed interest in the game and the increased awarenes of the incredible ease and potential of improvement. Please keep passing on the word and letting me know and posting your wins your wins in any forum you can reach.

Thank you, Oscar
    Oscar Wegner
    www.TennisTeacher.com
    THE LEADER in modern tennis teaching methodology.

I'm getting my twin girls who are 11 started playing using Wegner's DVDs. I love how easy it is to get them to hit the ball. They have take group lessons a few times but didn't really progress as much as they have with me helping them using the techniques I learned from watching these DVDs. This is 2 years earlier than both of their brothers who both started playing when they were 13. One's in college playing and the other is a High School playing No. 1s singles this year. Hopefully the girls will take to the sport and maybe they'll be the next Williams sisters! LOL.

just to let you know. my 9 year old watches the video with me. it surprises me how much he picks up with we go on the court.

Talking Coaching the Coach

I just received Oscars dvds. Great stuff!!.
    I had tennisteacher.com and, liked what i saw and spoke to my wife about it.
    She played professional tennis for a while and afterwards coached tennis in the 70,s.

She had a lot of resistance to what i was talking about until she wached the dvds. She could see the value in what Oscar was saying and, will bring these teachings to her game.
    So it just goes to show that these dvds will help all levels.
    Watching the advice on pulling the arm across the body i was wondering if can start the action with your hips going towards the ball forcing your arm across or must you start the action with your arm to start the rest of the body?

Haretrigger, the best is to be open stance and pull the shoulders to the left, step onto the left, the hips will go left as well, that will help your arm across as well. If you watch the top players from behind you'll notice how the do this when they have the time to stop, otherwise they hit on the run.
    Oscar Wegner
    www.TennisTeacher.com

hummmmmmmmm, no offend, but it sounds like a paid advertisement commercial to me. As a tennis player I have learned to always ask, how many top players on the tour has Mr. Oscar worked with or produced or how many top players have used his method? When we talk about some one like Robert Lansdorp and his strokes production teaching, the proof is in the pudding. he has created many players like, Tracy Austin, Maria Sharapova, Pete Samperes, Lindsay Davenport. and many other top pros, I have never heard any Pros on the tour saying they used Oscar teaching or worked with Oscar.
    BY The way, has anyone tried Lansdorp teaching CD? what is your opinion on his teaching?

Talking Who paid who

I do know that Oscar did not pay me. I paid him for the dvds and am extremely happy and would do so again.
    I have played for 30 yrs my wife played midstates professional tennis and coached at PRINCETON UNIVERSITY along with playing WORLD TEAM TENNIS. This was in the early 1970s. She didnt take what i was saying about Oscars work as very exiciting until, she viewed the dvds and is now a firm beliver in this great system.
    My sister in law who no longer plays tennis but made the round of 16 at wimbledon in 1965 stated that she wished she had had this information when she was playing.
    By the way we now live in Australia and have no connection with Oscar except through these dvds.
    If Oscars dvds have value to us, I belive they will help others.
    So if this is a paid commercial HARETRIGGER is the one that paid!!

Dear Tennisteen, I know Lansdorp has helped may players get to the top level and I am not taking away anything from him. His techniques are not as revolutionary as mine, so he is more accepted by the establishment. My techniques are so different, so revolutionary, and so simple, that not only the establishment but coaches that use it keep it to themselves. Furthermore, I so cleanly establish the basics that I open up the field for each coach, each player, to create. As long as those basics are not violated, you'll get better and better every time you play, you practice, or you teach, in this case learning every day by observing your results.
    If you want a list of accomplishments, go to my website. For people to buy my tapes and books, I had to tell some, I repeat SOME of the things that occurred as the results of my work, some of the influence that was spread across the globe. And I say some because I don't want to brag how some of the recent number ones used precisely one of my teachings, counting to five. Sorry for leaving you with a mystery here, but I don't want to brag!
    Oscar Wegner
    www.TennisTeacher.com

catching the ball with the racquet

Bragging would not be Oscars style but he is a true genious.No method or program comes close.Just try it and you will become the best player you are capable of becoming.Good Luck and I hope you give Oscars teachings a shot.

I have no doubt that Mr. Oscar is a very knowledgeable man and probably an excellent salesman , but to claim his teaching is the best method when he haven’t created one top player yet, is something that most people and most serious players won’t fall for it so easy. Ideas, writing books and making videos are great and I’m sure it’s a great help for a beginner tennis players but to learn professional tennis, you need to learn it from someone who has created a top player and his background speaks for itself. Come on let’s be serious, How could the guy know so much about teaching tennis and no top players on the tour has hired him yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisteen View Post
    I have no doubt that Mr. Oscar is a very knowledgeable man and probably an excellent salesman , but to claim his teaching is the best method when he haven’t created one top player yet, is something that most people and most serious players won’t fall for it so easy. Ideas, writing books and making videos are great and I’m sure it’s a great help for a beginner tennis players but to learn professional tennis, you need to learn it from someone who has created a top player and his background speaks for itself. Come on let’s be serious, How could the guy know so much about teaching tennis and no top players on the tour has hired him yet?
    Dear Tennisteen,

Are you actually a teenager? You need to do your homework. Would names like Venus and Serena Williams, Guga Kuerten, Bjorn Borg, Cliff Drysdale, Bud Collins, Big and Little Panchos convince you? This is all documented. Players and teachers alike follow his methodology around the world; in the USA most without even knowing it. Mr. Wegner doesn't waste time defending his position of importance in the tennis world; he spends his time helping people learn how to imporve their games at all ages and all levels. I'm sure there are other qualified members here who would be glad to enlighten you if you just ask.

OK,Teeny, let me brag. The entire new generation of Spanish players owe the unparalled success to the work I did changing the coaching system at the National School in Barcelona. Then, Brazil, call it the 1980s, a little kid, six year old got started in tennis with my techniques, and I helped him till the end of 1991, beat Sampras and Agassi to win the World Championships and was number onein 2000. Several other kids of the four hard courts court telephone company facility were on the professional tour, and 40 of the 60 kids held Brazilian National ranking. I gavemy first book in December 1989 to the Russian Jr. Davis Cup coach for the tennis federation, and Bud Collins stated that in 1990that in Moscow they already had scraped the old techniques and moved onto mine. Richard Williams learned my techniques from the New Tennis Magazine in which I was weekly from 1991 through October 1995, and he gave me a big hug in two separate occasions, thanking me. Then I did for six years the commentary for ESPN International for Latin America, hammering these new ideas in every transmission, from 80 to 120 days a year. Where do you think all these new modern south american players come from? The old techniques? Then ESPN aired out for 2 years and four months, from 5 to 20 times a day, my 30 second tennis tips, in which I obliterated conventional coaching and show themodern way. I was on all sports, including all the 1997,1998 and 1999 NBA finals with Michael Jordan, and I had two tips on each of those finals, which were viewed worldwide by an average of 150 million persons each. That translates to more than two billion impressions on the NBA alone in close to 170 countries, and I was on the Superbowl, Nasdaq, US Open Golf, all tennis transmissions, Grand Slams, International Soccer, you name it, all sports. Where do you think Paradorn Srichaphan came from, from a country with almost no tennis, but from my videos and 1992 book, which his father personally acknowledged to me were key to his success? Furthermore, the Chinese translated my book in 1999, and the Russians even earlier, and it is all over Eastern Europe, influencing the teaching. And I don't want to brag about where two recent number one players learned to count to five to hold themselves from rushing the shot, but could it be from my ESPN tips, or perhaps having seen some of my products?
    Well, my methods are for the public, for the players, not just for a priviledged few that take my lessons. Knowledge is for everyone to benefit, and I am dedicated to help coaches worlwide to change their ways, so more players, and especially kids, are not messed up by trite, damaging techniques, focussed mainly on placing the feet right while the ball hits you on the head.
    Please let me know if you need more.
    And thank you, Berty, Focused, Haretrigger, Chips2000, Shuttrbug, Junebug, and the millions more that love tennis, and you too, Tennisteen, for wanting me to brag. It felt good!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oscar Wegner
    www.TennisTeacher.com

skepticism

I understand tennisteens skepticism but it reminds me of a youngster that complained about the new tennis racquet I bought 4 years ago because there were no pros that used it! WHAT? A pro has to use my tennis racquet for it to be good for me? Nonsense. Each player is an individual and as so has his own playing style. The coach will try to mold him but it is up to the player to try the different things and decide for himself whether that technique works for him or not. I could see how it looks like sales gimmicks but the fact is if many people have tried it and it worked for them, so much the better! I probably won't buy the book and you probably won't either but that doesn't take away from the good it has done for so many who have bought the book and learned from the lessons. You don't have to have taught someone great in order to have great ideas and techniques!
    P.S. You also don't have to buy a tennis racquet a pro uses to have the right tennis racquet. Nuff said.

tennisteen,
    the coach of the HS tennis team i help out here in WA and i butt heads when i start showing the wegner method to the players. a lot of the players have quickly embraced the way i taught them because i've simplified their ground strokes which also resulted in them being faster on the court. the head coach did not bother me after that. my 9 year old has tremendously improved his ground strokes just by watching the videos with me when i was watching them myself. all i ask is that you keep an open mind. see what works for you, use it and just discard the ones that will not work. you are obviously a grown up now. so you can decide.
    Last edited by junbug; 10-19-2008 at 11:18 PM.