» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 649

0 members and 649 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Tennis Tip: "Hit Across The Ball"

Hi All,

I've posted mainly questions on this forum so far, so thought I would contribute with a comment about the one of the most useful tennis tip I have ever come across: "hit across the ball" (see http://www.tennisw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5977)

It sounds so simple. Instead of the oft-quoted "hit through the ball" (I'm so tired of hearing this one at my club that I have almost stopped contradicting it), just slide the racquet across the ball. When I first discovered this tip, I found it made a massive difference especially to my 2h-backhand. Before, I was alternating between pushing it long or looping it up too high. When I made a conscious effort to brush upwards ACROSS the ball, it instantly became much more reliable and consistent. Moreover, I "felt" a much better contact with the ball and therefore was more confident about directing it where I wanted.

In short, this "hitting across the ball" has become a rule I apply to all shots with success (fh, bh, volley, serve). Great stuff.

Ed

Talking It WORKS FOR ME

Yes ever since i got Oscars videos i have been working on that. It makes the ball a lot more difficult for your opponet to return.

Hitting Across - Windshield Wiper

At my coach's instruction, I recently tried a wrist bracket to help me to "feel" the windshield wiper motion on my forehand and to correct a slight forward motion of my wrist. The windshield wiper motion produces topspin and sidespin and a longer feel of the ball on the strings. According to my coach this technique is an advanced part of one's development and may occur naturally, but in my case the old habit from prior conventional teaching to hit out in front has prevented me from perfecting the windshield wiper motion on my own. With this training appliance it is impossible to flip the wrist forward to hit the ball head-on and have it bounce straight off the racquet. Instead, you begin to feel the ball on the strings longer, brush upward and sideways and finish on the left side, either over the shoulder or lower on the left side. You can feel the wrist and forearm, biceps and pectorals working naturally to move the racquet from under the ball across to the left and down on the other side, as if you were wiping the racquet face vertically across a pane of glass. This is how the pros hit, and utilizing this technique increases topspin and accuracy.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

Tennis Angel,

Can you tell a bit more about this wrist bracket? It sounds like a useful idea but I can't really picture how it works...

Ed

Wrist Brackets

Quote Originally Posted by edelgar View Post
    Tennis Angel,

Can you tell a bit more about this wrist bracket? It sounds like a useful idea but I can't really picture how it works...

Ed
    The device I used is called the Racket Bracket. There is another product available called the Wrist Assist which is similar in purpose. I do not endorse either of these products per se, I just used the one in a practice session. Also note that the purpose for which my coach had me use the device (to increase my feel for the windshield wiper forehand) is not described as an intended purpose on either web site below. You can Google compairosns of the 2 products as well.

http://www.tennisracketbracket.com/ http://www.squarehittennis.com/WristAssist.html
    Last edited by Tennis Angel; 10-26-2008 at 08:56 PM.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

My ladies today picked this up in about 5 minutes.

My recommendation to you to gain feel is to:
    1. Practice with your hand across a wind screen. You need to be very close to hit so you don't later hit the ball to far out in front.
    2. Do set #1 with the racket up against the fence.
    3. Have some one feed you balls 1/2 court (tossing the ball high to get a higher bounce)
    4. Same as #3 but feeding with the racket with a bit of topspin.
    5. Once you are comfortable then take it to the baseline.

These are the simple steps I use when I teach this to my jrs. and adults. If you need further help just come down to the beach & will do it.

If you want to win points as much as i did, to become champ of romania and belgium , you need more than that...better hit a long line backhand , but a good one and come to the net , for a short volley, and see if you have the points...only the one who attack the net , can become a champ, and his game is so spectaculous, as even his enemies enjoy it, deep their inside...so call for me , if you want to be a champ , in the next tournament you play...for only 30dollars/hour , and a place to live, you will be ready in 3 weeks to play and win...be strong
    Pavel Ilea

In case you missed it above, we were talking about one particular shot, windshield wiper and how to develop feel coming across the ball. Another option would be to slice the ball. I agree with you that if you hit a good you should follow it into the net and put pressure on your opponent. As a player you have to do what you feel like you can hit effectively in the situation. (Of course if you can attack your opponents weakness as much as you can.)

Also, a key component is to REALLY lock that wrist back and point the bottom of the racquet to the ball on the back swing. The handle of the racquet will actually lead the head on the forward motion, this helps you make contact (don't want to say "hit") with the ball more in front of you and really imparts a lot of topspin and your follow though will finish naturally (without thinking about it).

Go to YouTube and watch Federer FH in slow motion. He is catching the ball so far out front that he is looking THROUGH his racquet at the ball!

Just checked out that wrist assist...It looks like it should work real well. I am going to order one (after checking out the other brands). I was trained the old fashioned closed stance method, and I have had a hard time breaking the habit. Any time my groundstroke sails long, it is because of my wrist is not being cocked back enough. Doing much better now (thanks to Oscar!), but old habits die hard!

Its a long way to become champ, from the beging players situation youb are in...sorry, see you on TV, in this life , folks
    Pavel Ilea

Talking Better ball movement

I am getting better at hitting across the ball after a lot of practice.
    If i have a lot of time when i am playing a ball i will concentrare on going across.The rest of the time i use it in practice knowing, it will evolve in my play.I like the extra movement you get on the ball as it gives your opposition a little more to deal with

Wrist Gadgets

Quote Originally Posted by Chips2000 View Post
    Just checked out that wrist assist...It looks like it should work real well. I am going to order one (after checking out the other brands). I was trained the old fashioned closed stance method, and I have had a hard time breaking the habit. Any time my groundstroke sails long, it is because of my wrist is not being cocked back enough. Doing much better now (thanks to Oscar!), but old habits die hard!
    Dear Chips,

Before you commit to the more expensive Wrist Assist be sure to check out the other one, Racket Bracket. I do not endorse either one (as stated earlier), but I have tried Racket Bracket and liked it - I read several comparisons and many found the Wrist Assist less effective in securing the wrist position; it is also twice the price. A friend who already purchased Wrist Assist just bought the Racket Bracket for herself and her partner after trying it once and loving it. Does anyone out there hav ea one-on-one comparison to offer?

Update

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis Angel View Post
    Dear Chips,

Before you commit to the more expensive Wrist Assist be sure to check out the other one, Racket Bracket. I do not endorse either one (as stated earlier), but I have tried Racket Bracket and liked it - I read several comparisons and many found the Wrist Assist less effective in securing the wrist position; it is also twice the price. A friend who already purchased Wrist Assist just bought the Racket Bracket for herself and her partner after trying it once and loving it. Does anyone out there hav ea one-on-one comparison to offer?
    Update: Tennis Angel, I know this is an old post, but want to let you know that I finally did order the Racked Bracket with the new MTM DVD's last week. I am using it in conjunction with a Topspin Memory Board, and so far it seems to work well in conjunction with that device. My goal is to have at least a 1000 reps with it before I get back to the courts after the first of the year. I will post how both devices work out. I am DETERMINED to get rid of my old habits!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chips2000 View Post
    Update: Tennis Angel, I know this is an old post, but want to let you know that I finally did order the Racked Bracket with the new MTM DVD's last week. I am using it in conjunction with a Topspin Memory Board, and so far it seems to work well in conjunction with that device. My goal is to have at least a 1000 reps with it before I get back to the courts after the first of the year. I will post how both devices work out. I am DETERMINED to get rid of my old habits!!
    Wow, this goes back! The only thing I question is won't using a handicap mess with your game when you take it off?