» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 504

0 members and 504 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

I miss the Ladies of the 90's

When I think about how Tennis has changed over the years, I can't help from feeling the Women of the Late 90's were the very best but in terms of Style & Grace, there is no comparison between then and now. Sure it goes without saying the power and performance is most likely greater in the women players of today but there was something much more than just watching two women pounding shots at each other, it was pure pleasure seeing players like Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Jennifer Capriati, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, Grabriel Sabatini and others. They were indeed Marquee material to levels beyond what we have today.

Stadiums filled beyond capacity just to watch these women and I'd probably go out on a limb by saying none of the fore-mentioned could defeat the Top Level Players of today but if there were tickets being sold for a Steffi Graf v Monica Seles Match while at the same time another match featuring Venus Williams v Serena Williams, in my opinion, Steffi & Monica would draw the larger Audience.

Just think of the celebrity of a Jennifer Capriati returning to the Circuit and what heights the Media would soar just to show her matches as often as possible. Jennifer, Monica and even Steffi returning to any Major Event would dominate just about all available airtime as long as they remained in the tournament. Where as the Queens of the Court today like Jelena Jankovic, Dinara Safina, Ana Ivanovic even Maria Sharapova will receive a respectful show of appreciation regardless of how much the Media will attempt to generate excitement.

So in short, I miss them and I raise my glass in salute for what I refer to as the Good Ole Days. Watching these ladies of the 90s was nothing short of fun

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

I totally agree with you Sir, I go back much further, am twice your age so of course I can. I still remember, on radio then of course, the days of the 2 Helens' Dorothy Round, Chrisitine Truman, Angela Mortimer, I could go on for ever ! They were the days !

If I could I would have loved to see Little Mo Connelly play and Margaret Court in her Prime. As well as Anthea Gibson in her Prime. But especially Little Mo would have been a treat not soon forgotten.