» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 730

0 members and 730 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

High school Tennis

does anyone know the classification of the different Divisions (from I to V) in high school tennis, particularly in CIF (California Interscholastic Federation)? Are they rankings, which means Division 1 school is better than Division 2 school?

Quote Originally Posted by KellyL View Post
    does anyone know the classification of the different Divisions (from I to V) in high school tennis, particularly in CIF (California Interscholastic Federation)? Are they rankings, which means Division 1 school is better than Division 2 school?
    Greetings Kelly L ~

Welcome to TennisW's Community. I see you have a couple of Post and I missed your first which I try not to do. Anyway, I'm a High School Coach currently. Our School actually has two Coaches however we don't refer to ourselves as Head and Assistant. We are both involved in other situations that prevent us from being able to manage on a Fulltime basis however in our circumstance, Ron and I get along better than anyone could have imagined.

Anyway, I'm currently in New England but I'm from California so that part of the Country is where my heart still hangs out. You are correct that CIF stands for the Ca. Interscholastic Fed. huge title that means very little.

The Division are nothing more than what they are entitled. Divisions of regions within the State. Depending on where you hail from, would be the Division you are in. The various Divisions are not based upon ranking. However the Schools within the Divisions do have rankings.

I don't remember how the State is split up unless I dig out my Book, which I really don't wish to do right now because I don't know exactly which box it's in but let's say for example you live in Walnut Creek, Ca. which ever division that is, within that Division you'll have Concord High ranked let's say #3 and Pleasant Valley High, ranked say #5 and subsequently Walnut Creek High ranked #1, whereas Pacheco, Martinez and Pittsburg respectfully are still within that same Division are ranked say #2 - 4 - 6 all the way down to every High School in that Division of the State.

So then all of those High Schools plays the Divisional Tournaments that contain Qts. Semis and Finals. The Winning High School of each Division then plays regional Tournaments and so on until one High School emerges as the State Champions.

I hope that helped /// Personally, I'm partial to Concord & Santa Cruz.

Welcome to TennisW .. Please tell us about yourself,

Coach
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

in answer to your question. the higher the no. the bigger the school. the divisions are based on school population. every division has their own playoffs and state championships. in tennis, as far as i know if a school doesn't have a tennis program, the players may cross over and play for another school while attending their own school. but you will have to work your way through the team ladder to be in position to play varsity. some players might not like it but it is what it is.

Thanks for the explanation. I am new here and started to get more involved in tennis because of my son. He's played for 4 years and he is in 8th grade now. His school has intramural tennis in 7th and 8th, and he is doing really well. The problem is I feel the school doesn't have a strong team nor good coach. He has been winning in all games (Rank#1) but not the school as a team. I am debating if I should transfer him to a more challenging school, but would that drive down his confidence?

he will probably get beat the first few times but if he practices on a consistent basis, he should be able to beat those who are giving him an ass whopping in no time. before you transfer your son to a bigger school, find out who the coach is and get his track record as a tennis coach. most tennis coaches (not all) are glorified baby sitters and really don't have a clue about teaching tennis strategy, conditioning and drills. if you're son is being coach by a certified teaching pro, then you're better off with the pro rather than transferring him to a bigger school with a coach who doesn't know what they are doing. besides most colleges coaches will look at your son's ranking in his current age group if you are looking to get him to make his way through college via tennis.
    this is my personal observation. i know my buddy coach can add on to this.

USTA Jr. Tennis

Quote Originally Posted by KellyL View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I am new here and started to get more involved in tennis because of my son. He's played for 4 years and he is in 8th grade now. His school has intramural tennis in 7th and 8th, and he is doing really well. The problem is I feel the school doesn't have a strong team nor good coach. He has been winning in all games (Rank#1) but not the school as a team. I am debating if I should transfer him to a more challenging school, but would that drive down his confidence?
    Does your son play in USTA Jr. Tennis? If you let me know where you live I can direct you to some tennis competition opportunities outside of his school participation.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

thank you angel for adding on to this. i forgot about that

I am high school tennis player. It pretty cool