» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 529

0 members and 529 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Smile Yonex R22 and a new racquet

Apart from the merits of lendl (my favourite player) and mcenroe, (very much not my favourite) i'm also wondering on whether anyone out there used (or still uses) the Yonex R22.
    I had an R22 back in the 80s and it's still my favourite racquet. I bought an R27 a little later and found it to be difficult to use and control and not a patch on its less expensive sibling.
    Does anyone have a view on the R22?
    Secondly, as I'm looking to buy a new racquet (I've still got the R27 as I haven't been playing much in the past 10 years or so) could anyone recommend something with the same general characteristics as the R22 (i.e light, versatile, easy to use)??? All comments/suggestions welcomed. Thanks

Thumbs up Welcome...........

Quote Originally Posted by ilendl View Post
    Does anyone have a view on the R22?
    Secondly, as I'm looking to buy a new racquet (I've still got the R27 as I haven't been playing much in the past 10 years or so) could anyone recommend something with the same general characteristics as the R22 (i.e light, versatile, easy to use)??? All comments/suggestions welcomed. Thanks
    First welcome to the board iLendl, I see we have the appreciation of Ivan in common; great player and father of the modern game.

Regarding the R22, the entire Yonex R line was a revolution in racquet making made popular by Martina N. and other pros. I still have a R7 hanging in my Pro Shop. I still use Yonex racquets today as I cannot find anything that matches the wonderful feel (and I get to test nearly everything). It will be difficult to exactly match the feel and play of a R22 today, as the materials and composition of racquets has changed so drastically. However, you should try some of the new Yonex racquets like the RQiS and the RDS series as I believe that they are the closest thing to the feel of the yonex of old. Best of luck in your search and most of all have fun.

Cheers, TennezSport
    USRSA-MRT; USPTA; USTA
    Yonex RDS002 Tour w/ Tecnifibre X1 Biphase 17 @ 60/57

TennezSport: Thanks for your reply. I think we clearly have excellent taste - Lendl and the R22. Those were the days! I'll definately try those racquets you suggested. Many thanks and thanks too for the welcome. Cheers.