» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 521

0 members and 521 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Top 5 Ranking Predictions For ‘09

Interested to hear what everyone thinks who will be the top 5 mens players by the end of the year. My pics are at the link.
    http://theatpblog.com/home/?p=379

Federer Murray Nadal Roddick Monfils

I'm not quite ready to believe Federer is washed up. I think Federer knows there are still some records he's able to break and God Bless the Rest if he should decide to go after them. Consecutive Wins is off the table, which is a pity because it would have been great to witness. However sheer numbers is still there for the taking as well as winning on all four surfaces.

Roger is still the 2nd best Clay Court Player and still capable of pulling it off against Nadal. It's bound to happen that Nadal fall at the French, I'm just hoping it's against Federer instead of someone else.

I don't know who's gonna end the year as Number One, I just think we have short memories. Keep in mind gentleman, Andre Agassi fell to #144 B4 he woke up and sprinted to #1.

Federer is a more refined Player granted against a more refined field but NTL don't make the mistake of thinking Federer is washed up or you'll find yourself back-pedaling.

Guys, the Slams didn't hurt Federer as much as the USA Master's Series did last Summer. Had Federer won a majority of those Tournaments, he would have still compiled enough points to cushion him during the Slams and Year-Ending Masters. He won't make that mistake this year. Federer got too complacent and as a result, one slip did him in. You can't have the level of talent chasing you like Roger does and go into these Events on a half tank.

There's a saying that we're all familiar with, "The best teacher for anyone's game is losing"

My Predictions:

Federer is bound to remember who he is and
    recover quite nicely. Don't be surprised to see a Federer win in Australia.
    Roger will end the year as Numero Uno.
    Nadal will fall early in Australia and get a jump on the Clay Season with hopes of serving notice that on the dirt, you haven't seen nothing yet.
    Unfortunately, that becomes his single moment of glory should he once again repeat.
    Don't expect Nadal to repeat at Wimbledon however.
    I'm sending Rafa to #2 at the end of the year.
    Djokovic will end the year at between 3 - 5
    Murray Got his 15mins and took full advantage of it but reality
    catches up to him this year and that reality is, he's not as good as
    Federer or Nadal when all things are equal. I'm going to place between 4 - 6
    Davydenko Just plain old gets tired of chasing the dream and with a
    dismal finish in Australia, he limps through the year beating who he should
    and not beating who he shouldn't. I feel will fall to the 6-8 range
    Roddick Gets a reality check that his bread & butter serve isn't going to win him
    anymore Majors until he learns to back it up which ain't gonna happen
    this year so ending at #7 is what he'll have to settle for.
    Simon is gonna wake up and realize he's truly not ready for Prime Time
    and drops out of the Top 10 against popular opinion.
    Last edited by Coach; 01-10-2009 at 02:36 AM.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Murray or Nadal, Feder, Djokovic, Davdenko.

Quote Originally Posted by ilendl View Post
    Murray or Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Davydenko.
    Just curious, what do you base your concept of an Andy Murray #1 in the World on ? His performance throughout the Master's ? Keep in mind, although Andy has set upon in getting himself in better shape, he has various flaws in his style that are attackable which I haven't seen much change.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.

Hi Coach,

Well for a start I'm not sure where Federer is going to get his next victory from against Murray. He really has Fed's number as underlined again over the past two weeks and most particularly in Doha.
    Secondly I think Rafa's poorest surface is hardcourt, so Murray has a chance to pick up two slams this year, with Wimbledon a possibility. He has a lot to make up in points but right now I think he's the best player in the world and has been in my opinion for a few months now.
    That may change but Djokovic I feel will be a little off the pace, although he could repeat his Aus Open victory, Federer is in decline and Rafa has some limitations (though he does a pretty good job of hiding them!). The odds are still in favour of Rafa being No1 but Murray is the top guy of the future I feel.
    His serve has improved. In Doha Federer couldn't break him and Murray was that good that Fed's game began to fall away as the match wore on. If that continues then Murray is a good chance to take No2 and from there anything is possible.

Good answer and certainly Murray's recent performance would indicate that he will enjoy a very successful 2009 Season. Based solely upon their technical approach to the game, Roger Federer is still the more efficient and if I stand alone on this concept, I'll gladly accept criticism for my decision but I feel the only variable standing in Mr. Federer's way at this time, is not the insurgence of Andy Murray's improved performance.

When did it begin for Federer? Well I believe the beginning of his current problems was in the Roland Garros 2008 Finals. It wasn't that Roger lost once again, it was the way he lost which I'm convinced carried over to Wimbledon. Even one of the best Tennis Players in the World sometimes forget the basics.

I find myself chuckling when reading that this Player or that Player who has been dropping games against people they shouldn't be losing to, all of a sudden brings on these High Profile Coaches to jump start their game again. Many of the greatest wins I've witnessed my kids get have come from a psychological fine tuning.

Let's consider something for a moment, you get a call that Roger Federer wants to talk to you about coaching him because of his recent decline. So you accept the offer and begin putting together a game plan for getting him back to where he belongs. What do you do? We're talking about a Player who was up to last Summer, considered going down in History as the best player of all times in the Open Tennis Era. What can you provide a person of that caliber that they don't already have?

If I were to receive such a call, all I would request are the following:

1. A Workout Trainer for strength, endurance, balance and flexibility.
    2. Two Hitting Trainers to work on two basic areas of Federer's game,
    his return of serve and net game only. All other aspects of his game, are as sound as one could possibly hope for. There's nothing I could offer him in these areas.
    3. Psychological Counseling to discuss the Demons in his head. Federer imo, was so emotionally effected by his loss in France and subsequently England against Nadal, that it translated to the rest of his season regardless of his US Open win.

Roger Federer at this moment has forgotten who he is and what he's capable of. Federer is a better Player than Andy Murray. There was a time that David Nalbandian, had his number until Roger realized he was a much better player than Nalbandian and set out to show it which became bad news for David.

All Roger Federer needs is to remember who he is and what he's capable of and a win against Rafael Nadal in a Major will go very far in helping him accomplish this. Look it doesn't matter who ends up #1, all I ask is both combatants bring their A-Game.

Thumbs up Pleasure..........

Coach,

It was a real pleasure reading your post on the mighty Fed. I could not agree more with every point you made. I have been saying Fed should get Gil Reyes to work with him since Gil seperated with Agassi. I believe that would give Fed the confidence to know he can stay with anyone physically, which will only bring the magic back once again.

Cheers, TennezSport
    USRSA-MRT; USPTA; USTA
    Yonex RDS002 Tour w/ Tecnifibre X1 Biphase 17 @ 60/57