» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 532

0 members and 532 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: MTM tennis camp

MTM tennis camp

I have posted this thread in the NEW Member section and apologize if you have already seen it.

I have a 10 yr old who loves tennis and is a natural athlete. He has been learning from a local pro (he likes his coach a lot) for a year and a half. He is doing very well except that despite all the emphasis on follow through, footwork, closed stance etc he just prefers open stance and topspin. Having read a lot of comments on MTM I bot the dvds and book yesterday and decided to let him try it. Since his spring break is coming in March and the family is planning a vacation at a warm place (we live in NJ), I wonder whether we can send him to a tennis camp while we vacation. Does anyone know of such a camp that teaches MTM?

I checked the florida camps and it looks like they all know about the modern tennis differences and can/will teach/emphasize them on individual basis. I am not sure what they really mean but decided to give it a try. Will send my son to the Evert program for a week.

If you are going to the Sunshine state you could call Oscar himself and see if he is around. If not one of his key pro's, Randy, is at Long Boat Key. Check out Oscar's web site for the phone numbers and locations.

Hope this helps you.

That sound great. Thanks a lot.

MTM Coach

Quote Originally Posted by rchen83 View Post
    I have posted this thread in the NEW Member section and apologize if you have already seen it.

I have a 10 yr old who loves tennis and is a natural athlete. He has been learning from a local pro (he likes his coach a lot) for a year and a half. He is doing very well except that despite all the emphasis on follow through, footwork, closed stance etc he just prefers open stance and topspin. Having read a lot of comments on MTM I bot the dvds and book yesterday and decided to let him try it. Since his spring break is coming in March and the family is planning a vacation at a warm place (we live in NJ), I wonder whether we can send him to a tennis camp while we vacation. Does anyone know of such a camp that teaches MTM?
    You are in luck living in NJ as one of Oscar's most highly regarded coaches lives and teaches in NJ. He can be reached through his website www.moderntennisconnect.com. Anyone looking for a certified MTM coach can go onto the Coaches Page on Oscar's website at www.tennisteacher.com for a listing of MTM certified coaches worldwide. Beware of copycats claiming to teach "modern" tennis. Only individuals certified by Oscar himself are true MTM coaches who thoroughly understand his method and do not mix conventional and modern techniques.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

I'm probably wrong and sorry if i am but, is the open stance not better than the closed stance ??

Don't be sorry, FedererFan2, you are correct, even Federer loves the open stance forehand. On the one handed backhand of course he closes his stance. Both are totally natural. Sometimes this gets violated when on the run, but even there the position of the body is natural.
    Oscar Wegner
    www.TennisTeacher.com
    THE LEADER in modern tennis teaching methodology.

There is a time and place for the open and closed stance.

I think a player limits himself if he just learns how to play the one. All the top players are able to do both.

It depends on the type of ball one gets. I will not say that the one is better than the other. They both have their uses.

Piet Faasen
    onlinetennisforums@gmail.com

I disagree that teaching a student both open and closed is a good thing, most if they learn naturally, the MTM way! will hit with an open stance, forcing them to also learn the closed stance will hinder their development, because it won't be natural to them. I don't believe the type of ball one gets should determine the stance, however the players own instinct should take over!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2much View Post
    I disagree that teaching a student both open and closed is a good thing, most if they learn naturally, the MTM way! will hit with an open stance, forcing them to also learn the closed stance will hinder their development, because it won't be natural to them. I don't believe the type of ball one gets should determine the stance, however the players own instinct should take over!!
    my introduction to tennis 11 months ago by a college tennis coach was to use the closed stance. i actually got a really good forehand that way, but now (the past 4 months) i've been using the open to semi-open stance. i find that this stance is better in most situations. one case where the close stance really worked for me was on approach shots. if the ball dropped any bit short to my closed stance forehand, i was going to hit a clean shot where i wanted no problem. i dont know why, but getting around the ball kept my concentration and net clearance in check.

as for teaching both.. it has worked for me. but i was taught vice-versa.

There are various summer camps available which are found to be of great help in getting your kid's talent shown to the world and enhancing it so as to improve the confidence in the long run. These camps help children to improve stamina and so if you are planning to opt for these camps for your child then do look for the great deals available online.

For a list of MTM Certified Coaches in your area go to: www.mtmca.com

If you don't find anyone close to you please send me an e-mail and I will see who I can find for you

tennisteacher@me.com
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

MTM TENNIS CAMP WITH OSCAR WEGNER AT CLUB MED!!!

For complete details visit: http://www.tennisteacher.org/MTMCA/Club_Med.html