» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 412

0 members and 412 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

*** Word of the Day ***

Hi Members ~

I will try to add a new word each day BUT I gotta tell you that there may be a day or two that I miss. By all means anyone else wish to Post a Word for the Day, no one says we can't have multiple Words of the Day ... The Words I post will be randomly selected with no relationship to each other.

Today's Word :
    pa·thos ( p³“th¼s”, -thôs ”) n.

1. A quality, as of an experience or a work of art, that arouses feelings of pity, sympathy, tenderness, or sorrow. 2. The feeling, as of sympathy or pity, so aroused. [Greek suffering; See k w ent(h)- in Indo-European Roots.] k w ent(h)-. Important derivatives are: pathetic pathos sympathy To suffer. I 1. Suffixed form *k w enth-es-. NEPENTHE , from Greek penthos , grief. 2. Zero-grade form *k w öth-.PATHETIC , PATHO- , PATHOS , -PATHY ; APATHY , ( PATHOGNOMONIC ), SYMPATHY , from Greek pathos , suffering, passion, emotion, feelings. [ Pokorny k ø enth- 641. ]

mis·no·mer ( m¹s-n½“m…r) n.

1. An error in naming a person or place. 2. a. Application of a wrong name. b. A name wrongly or unsuitably applied to a person or an object. [Middle English misnoumer from Old French mesnomer to misname mes- wrongly; See mis- 1 nommer to name( from Latin n½min³re)(from n½men name) ;See n Ò-men- in Indo-European Roots.] mis·no “mered adj. n Ò-men-. Important derivatives are: name nominal nominate noun ignominy misnomer pronoun renown anonymous eponym homonymous metonymy pseudonym synonymous Name. I. Earlier form *( …)no…-mö, zero-grade form *( …)n…-men-. 1. NAME , from Old English nama , name, from Germanic

great words guys...I am pretty sure you just expanded my vocabulary. I will definitely be trying to use those words today!

im·pu·ni·ty ( ¹m-py›“n¹-t¶) n. pl. im·pu·ni·ties

1. Exemption from punishment, penalty, or harm. [Latin imp¿nit³s from imp¿ne without punishment in- not; See in- 1 poena penalty (from Greek poin¶);See k w ei- 1 in Indo-European Roots.] k w ei- 1 .
    Important derivatives are: pain penalty punish impunity subpoena To pay, atone, compensate. I. Suffixed o- grade form *k w oi-n³. PAIN , PENAL , ( PENALTY ), PINE 2 , PUNISH ; IMPUNITY ,

Incurred

in·cur
    ( ¹n-kûr“) v. tr. in·curred in·cur·ring in·curs 1. To acquire or come into (something usually undesirable); sustain: incurred substantial losses during the stock market crash. 2. To become liable or subject to as a result of one's actions; bring upon oneself: incur the anger of a friend.

April 2nd

ex·on·er·ate v. tr.

ex·on·er·at·ed ex·on·er·at·ing ex·on·er·ates 1. To free from blame. 2. To free from a responsibility, obligation, or task.
    [Middle English exoneraten from Latinexoner³re exoner³t-to free from a burden ex- ex- onus oner-burden] ex·on ”er·a“tion n. ex·on “er·a”tive adj.

April 3rd - Rhapsody

rhap·so·dy n. pl.

rhap·so·dies 1. Exalted or excessively enthusiastic expression of feeling in speech or writing. 2. A literary work written in an impassioned or exalted style. 3. A state of elated bliss; ecstasy. 4. Music A composition of irregular form and often improvisatory character. 5. An ancient Greek epic poem or a portion of one suitable for uninterrupted recitation. [Latin rhaps½dia section of an epic poem from Greek rhaps½idia from rhaps½idein to recite poems rhaptein rhaps-to sew; See wer- 2 in Indo-European Roots. ½id¶ song; See wed- 2 in Indo-European Roots.]
    wed-

Changing the Format of ** Word of the Day **

Members -

I am closing this Thread and starting another that will be Tennis Words & Terms only. So each day I will try to provide something that relates to Tennis and once again, by all means, this is not exclusive to me only. If you wish to include a Word or Phrase related to Tennis, do it.

Coach