» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 522

0 members and 522 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

help with a tie-breaker question

I am a hoping someone can help settle a dispute regarding tiebreakers in 8-game & 10-game pro-sets.

One person says a tie breaker occurs at 8-8 & 10-10 (8 game & 10 game respectively)
    Another says it occurs at 7-7 & 9-9

The former says that an 8-game set = 8 games. So until at least one player has 8 wins, the match continues. In theory, an 8-game match could end with the score 9-7 (having gone to 8-7, then 9-7 to win by two) without ever going to tiebreaker.

The later agrees 8 games is the goal, but argues that since you have to win by two, a 7-7 score insures that neither player can have 8 and win by two. At this point the tie-breaker is played to win the final deciding game 8-7 (with tie-breaker score). A 9-7 final under this scenario would be impossible.

Which is correct? Does it depend on the tournament?

Can anyone shed light on this situation?
    Last edited by mrhbelvis; 03-24-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Wow my friend - It appears you guys are making life far to hard for yourselves. When you really think about it, the Rules of Tennis amongst friends can be anything you want it to be as long as you establish the criteria before you begin play and don't change in mid-stream.

Regarding the Official Ruling of a Pro Set is what you've already laid out. You & I are tired after a long day at the office. We need to get some hitting in but we decide to keep it short & sweet so instead of playing the best of 3-Sets like we normally do, we decide to play a 8 Game Pro-Set.

Nothing hard about it, the winner is the person that reaches 8 games by a margin of two games, therefore we have the following options:

If I am serving at 7 games to 8 (You) and I hold, meaning we are now 8 games all, then we play a 12 point Tie Breaker. If you break my serve then you win 9-7.

Easy as that .. of course you can create any variations to it as you like but that is essentially all there is to it. You can play the 8 Game Pro Set or 10 Game Pro Set but winning by a margin of two games is the important part.

Whomever has reached the required mark of 8 or 10 games must either break their opponent's serve or play a Tie Breaker. The Tie Breaker is a 12 point breaker or you can make it the typical 7 point tie breaker if you'd like.

And even the tie breaker requires winning by a two point margin.
    Last edited by Coach; 03-24-2009 at 12:20 AM.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Thanks for the reply coach. I should have mentioned this is AA high school tennis in VA. I thought the scenario was as you explained, however my opponent swears you go to tiebreak at 7-7 in an 8-game set. When I researched online, I found conflicting info such as this:

"Usually in a pro set, you play the tiebreaker at 7-7 for a 8 game pro set. (9-9 for a 10 game pro set)"

also

"8 Game Pro-Set
    An 8 Game pro-set is a race to 8 games. The first player to win 8 games wins the match. If the score reaches 7-7, a 7-point tiebreaker is played to determine the winner."

http://www.tenniscoachdave.com/pages/tournaments.aspx

So if it was between friends, I agree there is no-harm, no-foul...I just want to make sure we are handling tiebreakers in the correct manner.

hmmmm i always did 8-8 10-10, i hate pro sets anyway though i usually means ure in consilation

Quote Originally Posted by mrhbelvis View Post
    Thanks for the reply coach. I should have mentioned this is AA high school tennis in VA. I thought the scenario was as you explained, however my opponent swears you go to tiebreak at 7-7 in an 8-game set. When I researched online, I found conflicting info such as this:

"Usually in a pro set, you play the tiebreaker at 7-7 for a 8 game pro set. (9-9 for a 10 game pro set)"

also

"8 Game Pro-Set
    An 8 Game pro-set is a race to 8 games. The first player to win 8 games wins the match. If the score reaches 7-7, a 7-point tiebreaker is played to determine the winner."

http://www.tenniscoachdave.com/pages/tournaments.aspx

So if it was between friends, I agree there is no-harm, no-foul...I just want to make sure we are handling tiebreakers in the correct manner.
    I haven't seen anyone play a ProSet in a very long time. Those are correct instructions but it's been years since I or anyone I know has used them.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.