» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 543

0 members and 543 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Hot Looks = Easy Life [Yes or No]

Advocates For
    (yes)

Well for anyone wanting to make the argument in the affirmative, all you have to do is point to Anna Kournikova and say here's a girl who did/does nothing significant but banks millions solely on her appearance and the fact that she's overly willing to show her body as often as possible for almost anyone with a camera, while at times holding a Tennis Racquet, merely for the controversial reference. This is a young lady who is actually a good tennis player that unfortunately turned pro at a time when the top tier of Women's Tennis when Anna turned Pro, had powerhouse Players like Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport, Venus & Serena Williams, Kim Clijsters, Mary Pierce and even Monica Seles all battling for the Titles that Kournikova was never able to secure for herself. The closes she came was having 2 Championship points before losing to Serena Williams in Miami, Fl. Yet with all her effort and obvious talent, Kournikova walked away from Professional Tennis without a Single's Title.

Advocates Against
    (no)

They would point to Ms Kournikova and proclaim that persons in her situation live in a Glass Bowl and tend to straddle the line of never knowing who your friends really are. Plus in talking about Kournikova, she undoubtedly lives each day with an enormous amount of regret that she didn't at least stay in the game a little longer because sooner or later, she would have most likely won a title with a little more work in the gym and on the Court rather than in front of the cameras. Now all she has are people who only admire her legs rather than admiring her ability. Money provides certain advantages that most people don't have but at the end of the day, you still have to look in the mirror and ask yourself, what have I done(?) And what happens when the looks begin to fade and you find yourself having to result to surgery to maintain a certain status & lifestyle? To live each day knowing what she has to say is far less important than what she's wearing. I'm sure that makes a person feel great about themselves.

Summary

Going through life as someone's Toy is not a rewarding position to be in. Walking down the street holding someone's hand because all they want is to show you off, truly demoralizes one's self-esteem. But maybe some of you don't think it matters

I'd say no.
    Also, I think the same story goes around for Sharpova and Venus Williams.
    They've been trying to promote their name in the fashion industry using tennis as an excuse.

no. imo, a person can choose the level of difficulty of their life regardless of looks and/or other properties.
    Last edited by Lawn Tennis; 04-15-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Talking Royal pines

I remember watching her practice at a lead up to the OZ open some years ago. There were only about 50 of us mostly male. I belive she was joking with Conchita Martinez about lifting up a t-shirt at a tournement to wipe sweat off .She then procided to demonstrate that. Sports bra so no big deal but she knows how to play to the men.
    I have watched her and i feel she is a quality player and i still see her playing WORLD TEAM TENNIS.
    I think she is a woman who trades on her looks and wants to do that. If that is the role she wants its ok. She will always have a bank roll with any kind of management.
    Really ther are many women who do this just not on such a grand scale

I think hot looks can help, but that's not all there is to it. Even with Kournikova, without doing all the work to succeed in tennis she would have probably never gotten to where she is in terms of being able to make all that money simply because of her looks.
    TennisW.com Network Administrator
    www.TennisW.com

I'll second that.
    There's lots of very nice looking ladies who are not highly paid tennis players (or highly paid anything else), so Anna Kournikova didn't earn a spot on the WT just by being hot.
    However, looks certainly do help making you welcome just about everywhere you go and open many doors that are otherwise very much closed.

You see the difference with Sharapova & Serena Williams is, they're both Grand Slam Winners which means they've proven themselves on the Court. I think Kournikova had bad management especially with her mother. I believe her mother pushed her towards the Sex Image maybe a little too early. I saw her play a night match at the USO against Mary Pierce and it was amazing the outfit she was wearing,

I went with a friend of mine and we both noticed that the Camera Guys followed her every move. It was like no one else was on the Court with her that night. Every single movement she made was followed by a mass of clicking sounds. She actually played a pretty good match that went to 3 sets although losing in the 3rd.

There's an old saying, "Men use money & power to get sex and women use sex to get money & power" Now I didn't make that up but in a lot of cases that's the way it is until society starts taking women more seriously and stops seeing women as merely sexual objects.