» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 592

0 members and 592 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: Identity crisis

Identity crisis

Hi,

I've recently started playing tennis again at the ripe old age of 24. I used to play a lot as a kid and had a few lessons, but gave up for whatever reason. Anyway my problem is that apart from forgetting most of what I already knew I have a problem switching between one handed and two handed shots. I do most things left handed, however as far as I can remember I've always played tennis right handed. For one handed shots I'm better right handed, but for two handed shots it feels more natural to play left handed. I imagine this isn't a good idea as I'd need to keep switching between shots. I think I might be able to play this way if I use a 'continental' grip, but I've heard that's just a beginners grip. Should I stick with playing this way, or teach myself to play one handed or two handed with the other hand (if that makes sense)?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir T. Fireball View Post
    Hi,

I've recently started playing tennis again at the ripe old age of 24. I used to play a lot as a kid and had a few lessons, but gave up for whatever reason. Anyway my problem is that apart from forgetting most of what I already knew I have a problem switching between one handed and two handed shots. I do most things left handed, however as far as I can remember I've always played tennis right handed. For one handed shots I'm better right handed, but for two handed shots it feels more natural to play left handed. I imagine this isn't a good idea as I'd need to keep switching between shots. I think I might be able to play this way if I use a 'continental' grip, but I've heard that's just a beginners grip. Should I stick with playing this way, or teach myself to play one handed or two handed with the other hand (if that makes sense)?
    So let me try to under your situation, you are saying that when a ball is coming to your Backhand, which for me is my right hand (forehand) you place your stick in your right hand and hit a one-handed backhand and when the ball is coming to your forehand, you place your stick in your left hand and hit a one-handed forehand shot? Is this what you are suggesting?

If it is, indeed that will get you in major jams during intense moments. You will need to decide which hand you are most comfortable with and which generates the most power & control. It would seem to me that your left hand would be the answer however there are many Players that train their opposite hand for tennis, Rafa Nadal is one of them.

The easiest solution is to adopt a two-handed backhand therefore when the ball is coming to your right wing, all you need to do is bring the racquet across your body applying a supporting grip with your right hand and hitting your backhand shot.

I'll wait to read if you've tried this approach ..

Coach

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

i believe this is a common problem among many new players. sometimes people make the mistake of sticking with it.