» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 515

0 members and 515 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mal-j View Post
    All scientific advances have to start out as theories. You come up with a theory and then go about looking for evidence to prove it - and not just you proving it, but other scientists being able to replicate your experiments and come up with the same answers. A theory is first proposed and then peer reviewed. Not every theory turns out to be correct and some are altered on the discoivery of new evidence. But it is a mistake to think of every scientific fact as "just a theory" just because they were originally theories. Once they have been accepted by the whole scientific community they become considered as fact based on the evidence available. Evolution was a theory but now it is without doubt a fact. Just one example of this we can see quite clearly is in rats that are evolving in a way that they can withstand certain chemicals that previously poisoned them.

Just wish I could evolve into a brilliant tennnis player.
    it's funny you say that cause it seems more often than not they come back with evidence to prove themselves wrong. the question is are they really right this time.

You are absolutely right Lawn Tennis. They do keep coming back with evidence to disprove theories. That is why I would choose science over religion every time. Anyone who constantly questions themselves and strives for the truth has got to be better than someone clinging on to ancient mythology and superstition and claiming that they know all the answers. We should all question things and not just believe everything we read or hear.

I still think to dismiss the possibility of a God is illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    But i'll bet you think it's illogical to believe in Baal, Horus, Wotan and a number of other gods. In fact, quite coincedentally, you are an atheist in respect to all but one of the gods out there. "Atheists" simply take it a God further, so to speak. Besides, i don't entirely dismiss the possibility of a God. I just think there's so little evidence that his existence is ridiculously implausible. There is, in fact, a lot more evidence for the Big Bang, just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusEffect View Post
    But i'll bet you think it's illogical to believe in Baal, Horus, Wotan and a number of other gods. In fact, quite coincedentally, you are an atheist in respect to all but one of the gods out there. "Atheists" simply take it a God further, so to speak. Besides, i don't entirely dismiss the possibility of a God. I just think there's so little evidence that his existence is ridiculously implausible. There is, in fact, a lot more evidence for the Big Bang, just FYI.
    Actually, that's a negative. To me God is the creator.. it doesn't matter what you call Him, be it Baal, Horus, or whatever.. it's just how the general public in the United States know Him.

I'm glad you're not entirely dismissing the possibility. I don't dismiss the possiblity of the Big Bang. I think it's highly unlikely just as you feel about a creator. Though there is always the chance that God created the universe via the Big Bang.. so everyone's kinda right in that case. Ultimately, it's funny how naive we as humans really are. We could be everything or nothing and never know it. We are just a mere sparkle of light in this fireworks display.
    Last edited by Lawn Tennis; 01-12-2010 at 04:11 PM.

My only real problem with faith is the eternal problem of atrocities commited in it's name.
    No wars have ever been started in the name of atheism - but religion has attributed to it's fair share. In fact, the can of worms with faith is that it breeds blind belief and irrationality - the more, the better. I'm not implying that you are a blind believer and irrational, but i am convinced that religion is the root of quite a deal of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    I also believe that to dismiss the possibility of a God is illogical. Nobody could ever be that certain. Yes there could be something out there, some greater power or presence that started the whole ball rolling. But then that raises other questions like: "where did God come from?" "Who created him?" And other questions like: "Why are some people born with physical or mental disabilities?" "Did God mess up when he created them?" "Why did he create parasites and viruses and earthquakes etc.?"
    I suffer with shoulder impingement. Talking to a physio the other day he told me that it is a weakness in the design of the body that causes it. How can a God creat everything and not get the human shoulder right? And there is no evidence of an interventionist God. If there was then why does God leave millions of people starving in Africa?
    I couldn't dismiss the possibility of there being a God. But equally you have to admit that the evidence is pretty slim. If we really want to know answers, then science is the best thing we have got.
    If it wasn't for science then we wouldn't all be on the internet riight now.

I think there is indubitable proof that God didn't create man in his perfect image: when you accidentally bite your tongue. Why would God be so short-sighted as to give humans a muscle that is too big for its orafice
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall."

"Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost."

ha... AlexLogan has a point... I mean after all, look at what God has done. It would be very difficult to make every living creature perfect ! but remember, stay away from Wicka ! i.e dark arts as when you use wicka you worship the Devil ! As they said in "The Field" dont fear those who can destroy body, but he who can destroy both body and soul ! i.e the Devil..!And please go to confession ! God forbide anything happens to you and you never went to confession !!!

Or what, God will condemn me to an eternity of being prodded insistently in the bum by a guy with horns? He sounds like a really nice guy, this God person...

Satan was an angel (Just to let people know). One of gods highest but then he wanted to be as powerfull as God ! So Satan(the Devil) got other angels to create Hell ! (These angels are known as the Fallen Angels) Some people actually believe that God banished these angels and this why they started Hell... Don't believe in Hell ?? then why believe in heaven ?? You wont get into heaven if you don't believe in God and Heaven!!! Dont believe any of this ?? Try google it... This all I know off the top of me head sorry I can't explain it any better!
    Remember to always be happy ! and Smile !

No. I don't believe any of it. The fact that you seem utterly incoherent and slightly desperate does not help. Believing in God is no less, and no more, absurd than believing you can divine the future from sheeps' guts.

who said anything bout sheeps guts? Your comparing God to sheeps guts ? I know where your going !!

Oooh! I know, i know, i know! You're gonna say hell, aren't you! Too bad for me, i guess.
    And no, i am not comparing God to sheep's guts. I'm just insinuating that belief in him is just as absurd as the things you deem crazy.

ok... but somepeople think the big bang theory is is a load of you know what... I mpersonally believe in both! as a wise man once said (Albert Einstein I think) "religeon without science is stupid and science without religeon is boring", or is it the other way round ?? anyway. My point is, earth needs both to make sense!!!