» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 515

0 members and 515 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: Drop Shot

Drop Shot

I suppose this is more a question to Oscar and the moderators but I have been playing mostly on clay and was thinking about whether I should try to incorporate the drop shot in to my game more.

I referred to my MTM library and could only find one very small clip where Oscar talks about the drop shot (in the "Quick Tips" section of the "Advanced Tennis Techniques" DVD). Is this because Oscar believes the drop shot is a niche, specialty shot that is not so important? Or is it a shot that everyone should try to master? Interestingly whenever I watch Andy Murray play, there is always a discussion about whether he overuses the drop shot...

Ed

The Dropper

Thanks, Ed. I'll ask Oscar and get back to you here!
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

I think a drop shot is a great strategy, but not if you're going to hit every time.

Yes, the drop shot is a move you should have in your arsenal. During the course of a set you will have numerous times to incorporate a drop shot to win the point or even just change the pace of a point. When done correctly you can easily score winners with it.
    Sincerely,
    David Patterson

The best deals on tennis racquets are at Tennis Plaza in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by elite_lefty_ACE View Post
    I think a drop shot is a great strategy, but not if you're going to hit every time.
    agreed, this is a really good point

Oscar's Reply

I believe the drop shot is a great tool, a favorite of mine in my playing era, some decades ago. Most power players today don't have much feel for it, but Murray does and disguises it very well, breaking the rhythm of the other player as well. Sometimes he does it nonchalant, and he misses it badly. But when the chips are down he focuses keenly and executes some marvelous drop shots that are either winners or make for stressful gets. Remember, from the baseline to the net it is about twice as much distance as from the center of the court to the singles sidelines. If the player is well behind the baseline it is even more stressful to get to Murray's drop shot and make a forceful shot.
    Oscar Wegner
    www.TennisTeacher.com
    THE LEADER in modern tennis teaching methodology.

I agree, also a drop shot really helps against Walls/Pushers. Get them out of their comfort zone at the baseline with a drop and lob over their heads - easy winner.

Drop shot is one of the special shots as opposed to forehand and backhand groundstrokes, volley, smash, and serve which are basic shots.As the name says basic shots are much more in use, and when shot is more in use during the game becomes more important because it hurts more when you do not have it.

I tell you an episode from my coaching life.At one point in my coaching career I coached 4 children from the same family.Two of them were extremly talented.I was really devoted to my coaching because I saw opportunity that two of them have real chance for professional tennis.To cut long story short parents as always wanted immediate results so they demandes that I teach them drop shot, but I did not want because I told them that it would be good in short term (especially for younger players drop shot is very effective weapon), but bad in long run.I said I will teach them eventually but not now because there are more important things to do.The result was that their father fired me, and hired someone who right away started to teach all of them drop shot.That was useful in short run, but very detrimental in long run, and the children never came even close to their actual capabilities.

Through this case I wanted to explain my position.Sure one has to have drop shot in his arsenal, but according to priorities.
    Drop shot is very effective in children tennis, and in recreatinol tennis.

In professional tennis is used very rarely, and one can earn very few points using drop shot (if drop shot is not perfect it is usually the point for opponent).On the other hand, every professional would have to have drop shot in his arsenal for two reasons:

- with drop shot he can mess up the rhytm of the opponent even if he does not win a point

- drop shot is offensive shot and add to variety of ways how one can attack.The more ways the more guess work on opponent part

Drop shot is offensive shot, and as such to be effective it should be hit on easier ball (shorter hard ball), and it should be executed from the court (inside the baseline).This is especially true for professional tennis.
    Last edited by Bubo; 04-23-2009 at 03:52 AM.

Talking Good foundation

I think you need a good foundation in tennis before you have a chance at having a good drop shot. You need to have balance and be able to fake a drop shot and chage to hitting deep as well as the drop. I also think it is very important to move to cover were you hit the drop so your opponent has to think about you as well as the ball.
    If i were coaching i would probably have taught the kids the drop shot but make them do it properly. Golden rule (HE WHO HAS THE GOLD MAKES THE RULES)
    Trick shots spins and all that are HERO shots and when you dont make them they are ZERO shops

For children, and recreational players is enough to play relatively short drop shot.This is not the case in professional tennis.There, even the best played drop shot (length wise) will be opponent¨s point.In professional tennis besides perfect execution, drop shot needs to be disguised (to shorten opponent¨s time to react), and hit at the right moment (when opponent is at furthest from the place where the ball is intented to play).So drop shot in professional tennis almost does not have any margin of error.It has to be perfect in every way to win a point.This is reason why it is not recommended to use it on "big" points (game,set, match ball).

There is one more thing about drop shot.In professional tennis when you win point with drop shot, usually you do not win it directly, but with follow up shot.As HARTRIGGER says a player after hiiting drop shot has to move in the best possible position on the court (as is the case with every shot).After drop shot this movement is mostly forward.This coverage of the court has twofold advantages:
    - it distracts opponent, and makes him to hit even better shot than possible which leads to errors
    - it enables player that he is at the site where opponent played his shot.In that way player is able to put it away and win a point

www.mytennistory.com

In Depth Description of Bringing a Child Up a Competitive Ladder with Advices and Recommendations
    Last edited by Bubo; 06-29-2009 at 06:24 PM.

The Dropper

Too bad Djoko blew 2 points against Nadal with dropshots today. He didn't hit those droppers with the same intensity (commitment) as his groundstrokes. But, he did perform a great impression of Rafa during the awards ceremony!
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubo View Post
    There is one more thing about drop shot.In professional tennis when you win point with drop shot, usually you do not win it directly, but with follow up shot.As HARTRIGGER says a player after hiiting drop shot has to move in the best possible position on the court (as is the case with every shot).After drop shot this movement is mostly forward.This coverage of the court has twofold advantages:
    - it distracts opponent, and makes him to hit even better shot than possible which leads to errors
    - it enables player that he is at the site where opponent played his shot.In that way player is able to put it away and win a point

good point. i often wonder why, after a drop shot, one doesn't back up to about the serve line. it seems all to often that the opponent is able to win the point if he/she does make it to the ball in time.