» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 539

0 members and 539 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

View Poll Results: Who will meet Rafael Nadal in the French Open Finals?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roger Federer

4 36.36%
  • Novak Djokovic

0 0%
  • Andy Murray

3 27.27%
  • Juan Martin del Potro

1 9.09%
  • Andy Roddick

1 9.09%
  • Gilles Simon

1 9.09%
  • Fernando Verdasco

1 9.09%
  • Nikolay Davydenko

0 0%
  • Gael Monfils

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by WiltonGuy View Post
    who voted for Roddick? you must be kidding right? I pick Roger as my first pick , second would be A. Murray. I still think Federer still a atleast a slam in him, and the French is on top of his list.
    lol, i think A-Rod will attend and maybe win a few more slams, but not on the clay where his serve is compromised. i was more or less curious who picked him. i picked Simon for crying out loud

go murray and uhhhhh is roddick still in these big tourneys, cause i havnt seen him anywhere near the finals latley

omg i havent posted in tennisw in like at least 4 years, so bear with me lol

ok i voted for federer, since ive always been his fan since he first won his first wimbledon, as for my reason, tell me if this reason is out of date

as for now, i do see that he has to completely change his game to beat nadal, for the last 3 finals with nadal in roland garros he has repeatedly made the exact same stupid error, although we know that nadal heavy top spin forehand is not match for federer, federer has to find a way to completely change his tactic with nadal, the chip and charge to the net doesnt work anymore, so either he has to change his game completely in my opinion (e.g. change his forehand so its as heavy as nadal, but i do think this is impossible since it comes from the extreme grip and power) or he has to play extremely well and hope for the best, and hope nadal has a bad day, lol! but i still believe he has the edge over the other players to meet nadal in final due to his years of experience
    Last edited by Valentino; 05-03-2009 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
    omg i havent posted in tennisw in like at least 4 years, so bear with me lol

ok i voted for federer, since ive always been his fan since he first won his first wimbledon, as for my reason, tell me if this reason is out of date

as for now, i do see that he has to completely change his game to beat nadal, for the last 3 finals with nadal in roland garros he has repeatedly made the exact same stupid error, although we know that nadal heavy top spin forehand is not match for federer, federer has to find a way to completely change his tactic with nadal, the chip and charge to the net doesnt work anymore, so either he has to change his game completely in my opinion (e.g. change his forehand so its as heavy as nadal, but i do think this is impossible since it comes from the extreme grip and power) or he has to play extremely well and hope for the best, and hope nadal has a bad day, lol! but i still believe he has the edge over the other players to meet nadal in final due to his years of experience
    Excellent Post Valentino !

I too feel if Federer gets his head together, he should be the best candidate however his match against DJokovic yesterday convinced me that Federer will most likely disappoint us. Now I can't imagine him making any substantial change between now and Day one of the Open. He doesn't have the necessary fire he needs to pull off a French Open win.

And still what I don't get is when I see things Nadal losing to guys that have never beaten Roger Federer and yet Fed can't touch Nadal on Clay. Makes you wonder if Roger ever takes a look at Nadal's Matches against other people? I believe he would learn a lot. Juan Carlos Ferrero kicked Rafa's butt a couple of weeks ago in Rome although Roger loss in the same Tourney. However does Roger take a peek at what tactics were used to take Rafa out? Sadly, it would appear not. When Roger goes up against Rafa, he does what he has always done, that doesn't work anymore and will not work anymore and somebody needs to tell Roger because I don't think he gets it.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

And how about Juan Martin Del Potro in Miami knocking Rafa out in the second round. there is plenty of material out there for Federer to learn from. honestly though, if Roger could just cut back on his unforced errors, he would be a threat to Nadal. sometimes i feel that Roger is pushing his luck... going for shots he's not comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    And how about Juan Martin Del Potro in Miami knocking Rafa out in the second round. there is plenty of material out there for Federer to learn from. honestly though, if Roger could just cut back on his unforced errors, he would be a threat to Nadal. sometimes i feel that Roger is pushing his luck... going for shots he's not comfortable with.

Roger Federer is falling prey to one of the oldest problems in Tennis competition. When you are facing an opponent that gets everything back, it is a natural tendency to press above & beyond what you are comfortable in doing. When Roger plays within himself, he's better than almost everyone on the Tour. That is when Federer is at his best but when he plays Nadal, he tends to feel like he has to go for more. Thus when you are pushing beyond your capabilities, you will generate more unforced errors.

Granted Federer is so good that he has plenty of room before his number of unforced errors become a liability against most Players but he can't afford to be generous with Players like Nadal, Djokovic and other Top Five Players.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.

federer also get very emotional and like he feels he has so much too loose when playing nadal,imagine having one match away from becoming the greater player in history. it is as if he thinks he already achieved it or something, even though he hasn't obviously.

the acceptance speech of 09 australian open, that was embarassing, roger needs to get this mentality, he gets very intimated by nadal, you can notice it in his body language in court, etc.

its a loose loose situation for federer, first he doesnt have the best groundstroke in the player anymore, he doesnt have the same consistency as he used to, thus he makes more stupid error, like so stupid even i make it lol :P secondly he has this loosing mentality against nadal, even when the crowd is behind him, i guess its the effect of time creeping in, newer player dominate the older one and if you can't keep up, then its bad news for you

Yes.I did ! give Nadal the trophy now. What is "shoe-in" new to me !

Quote Originally Posted by Harwin View Post
    Yes.I did ! give Nadal the trophy now. What is "shoe-in" new to me !
    Harwin my friend - The question is not asking who will win the French Open, it is asking who Nadal will play in the Finals.

now that Novak Djokovic has shown us he has what it takes to win on clay, does anyone want to vote for him? i already voted Gilles Simon. i'm sure somebody will vote for him before next week. Coach, you should close this poll before the Open is under way. We don't want any late votes. And i almost forgot, how about Fernando Verdasco? he's got to be a favorite to some degree.

so much for this thread. XD

Lets wait until after the men's final is over, cos I don't think anyone will be playing Nadal in it !!!