» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 499

0 members and 499 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

How do I beat a backboard player?

I have a friend. He just recently got into tennis, and is playing JV on our high school team. About a few days ago, he got a lot better, and actually beat our captain. I was watching their match, and he hit a lot of easy shots, shot that should have been easy to return, but the captain just made a ton of mistakes.
    I took notice of his style of play (deep lobs with a little bit of topspin), and I'm wondering how I should play to beat him?

Stay to the baseline, but play aggressively. Pressure him. If there's an opening or a shallow lob, run up to the net. Don't ease up.
    Or, if he attacks, you just lob it or "easily hit it back" until there's an opening.
    Also, you could do this, which is a common high school strategy; just keep the ball in play. Eventually he'll be forced to attack and probably mess up. If not, keep defending. It's cheap, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by elite_lefty_ACE View Post
    Stay to the baseline, but play aggressively. Pressure him. If there's an opening or a shallow lob, run up to the net. Don't ease up.
    Or, if he attacks, you just lob it or "easily hit it back" until there's an opening.
    Also, you could do this, which is a common high school strategy; just keep the ball in play. Eventually he'll be forced to attack and probably mess up. If not, keep defending. It's cheap, but it works.
    i can see why you think playing just defense is cheap. i have a friend who really does nothing else. i love to play with him cause we have such long rallies; though sometimes he will catch me off gaurd with a change up.

This kind of player is very consistent from baseline, and tough to defeat him if you use his medicine;that is to rally from baseline.There are two ways that player of about same skill can beat him:

1.Get him out of his favored style of playing
    This kind of player loves when he just returns balls, and his opponent does everything else (makes more errors than winners).Give him such a ball that makes him to be aggressive.He will make a lot of mistakes because this is not his favored style of playing.

2.Get him out of his favored position on the court.
    This player feels usually comfortable only on the baseline.If you pull him forward he is easy pray because he does not have the skills for this part of court.The one thing you have realistically asses is if you have tennis skills tu pull him forward;that you do not make too many errors by doing it.
    If you have this kind of skill to pull him forward;once when you do you have to stay concentrated while using passing shot or lob to win a point.

Good luck
    Last edited by Bubo; 04-21-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Well, defense can be a good strategy but I hate it when it's played (except when I'm playing it, haha) so I decide to stalemate and force them to attack by defending as well. Always pisses them off .

Quote Originally Posted by elite_lefty_ACE View Post
    Well, defense can be a good strategy but I hate it when it's played (except when I'm playing it, haha) so I decide to stalemate and force them to attack by defending as well. Always pisses them off .
    lol

To add one more thing.Using the strategy I already described one has to stay patient, persistent, and stick to this strategy throughout the match.If one lets up blackboard player will rebound because as he is on one hand known for lack of tennis skills , on the other hand he is known as fighter not a quitter.

www.mytennistory.com

In Depth Description of Bringing a Child Up a Competitive Ladder with Advices and Recommendations
    Last edited by Bubo; 06-29-2009 at 06:15 PM.

Talking True

Quote Originally Posted by bubo View Post
    to add one more thing.using the strategy i already described one has to stay patient, persistent, and stick to this strategy throughout the match.if one lets up blackboard player will rebound because as he is on one hand known for lack of tennis skills , on the other hand he is known as fighter not a quitter.
    very true