» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 726

0 members and 726 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thumbs down Guillermo Coria.....what has happened?

In 2004 Guillermo Coria was the best clay court player in the world. Then came that disastrous and inexplicable loss to Gaudio in the French Open final, and it's been downhill ever since.

It has been agonising to watch him struggle this week in Monte Carlo. In the first set against Mathieu he served 20 double faults. His serve has gone, his confidence has gone, his movement about the court has gone. I hear that a shoulder injury is at the root of the problem......does anybody have any information on this? I'm desperate for the little genius to return to his former greatness, but I fear the worst.

Yes his form has dropped alot since then. I mainly think this is because he was out for a long time with drugs allegations. When he was playing very well.. he could play for hours and never sweat or anything.. i think that was a bit suspicious..... i personally think he was on something.. and now he is clean... so drop in form

Coria reached No. 2 in ATP tour more than a year after his drug problem, so I don't think it his perfomance in 2004 were related to banned drugs.
    I saw him at the Nasdaq 100 open and he looked without confidence in his shots. All tour players have bad moments (or bad years), remember Agassi....

i think he'll get back to his old form. he's bulked up a bit (bulging chest, superhero look!?!) for more power... he has married the most beautiful tennis chaperone and spectator on tour so he ought not be distracted anymore. the only thing that needs working on probably is his on-court gamesmanship attitude... think less of distracting his opponents and more on simply letting them self-destruct with his relentlessness & patience to hit one more shot up and over. i think he's well worth following at the French.

Talking

henin can easily beat him