» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 730

0 members and 730 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

View Poll Results: What Motivates a Professional Tennis Player

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Money

2 33.33%
  • Fame

0 0%
  • Rankings

1 16.67%
  • Competition

1 16.67%
  • Love for the Game

2 33.33%
  • Ego

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%

Motivation in the Tennis World

I must give credit for this writing to our Member Kid Carlos who posted an article in his Thread, "Getting Over the Hump".

My question is, what motivates a Professional Tennis Player to work so damn hard at being the best?
    Last edited by Coach; 04-22-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

im saying 'love of the game'. now obviously the other rewards support their cause. however, i believe that every tennis professional that has played well loves the game. the amount of practice required to play at the level of Nadal, Federer, Williams, (or any tennis pro) would dispose of any and all greedy or boastful athletes in my opinion.

I'm voting on 'Rankings'. I think when you have a good ranking and you know you're good at something it motivates you to keep going and just getting better and better.

But, I think that for players like William and Sharapova they enjoy the money & fame of it. Sharapova seems more focused on her fashion career then on tennis lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    I'm voting on 'Rankings'. I think when you have a good ranking and you know you're good at something it motivates you to keep going and just getting better and better.

But, I think that for players like William and Sharapova they enjoy the money & fame of it. Sharapova seems more focused on her fashion career then on tennis lately.
    You know as a guy who's beginning to get a much slower on the Court (which should indicate that I'm getting older now) I feel ok with making statements about how much I appreciate Maria Sharapova and if you saw my Photo Galley, the first impression you would probably get is that I'm obsessed with her.

Actually I am -- no really I'm not but I do think she's one hot looking lady and some years back Maria said it best when she was asked why did she think she was adored so much and her answer was, she didn't think she was adored by all, probably more guys than women because of the Blonde Hair and Long Legs thing while she giggled.

Well Maria, I guess you pegged me but I do appreciate Win or Lose how this lady fights for every point much the same as our beloved Monica Seles did when she was on top of the game. So I get two for the price of one when I'm watching a Sharapova Match, (1) A Player willing to give it 100% regardless of whether she's down Match Point serving at 2-5 / 15-40 she will hit the ball as hard as she can and (2) The long legs blond thing.

But your point is well taken because when you're a Sharapova or Williams, etc. You now have all the money you need for a very comfortable life without having to endure the rigors of the Tour and possible injuries and we both know Maria more so than the William Sisters pretty much has topped off.

I just can't see that many more Slam titles coming her way in the future. Far too many in the Field have progressed to where she has a much harder time getting to the 2nd week less more winning the Title. It is stated that Grass is Maria's best chance of getting another Major but really when you look at the complete field, there's no way that Maria is going to win another Wimbledon unless she has the luckiest Draw ever and both William Sisters bowed out of the Tournament or lost early for some reason.

Dinera Safina has to be the most unlucky #1 Player I've ever saw. How did she become #1 with the nerve level she has? She literally beats herself in big matches. She just gets too scared because she's so focused on not losing that it over-whelms her.

If I were Sharapova, personally I'd call it a day. She can easily challenge Ana Kournikova for 'Look how gorgeous I am' glamor spots. Or Mags that highlight the hot women in Sports.

Maria invested serious money into her companies with her perfume and clothing line, She doesn't need Tennis anymore
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

kinda off topic

hey this is kinnda off topic (but kinnda on cuz it has to do with motivation and love for the game) but i just learned to play tennis 3 months ago and im 17...next year i will be a senior and iv already started beating players that have been playing on the team (but not in the top 5 singles) that have 3 or more years of experince on me....i seriusly love this game alot and play about 6 hours a day...rain or no rain...and even when im not im so addicted i come to sites like these...i want to know relisticaly has anyone ever been able to start at such a late age and play at the least in college?

I actually completely agree with you 100%,
    I think that she may be losing interest in tennis and having plans to retire after all she has been through;
    but I just don't get why she competed in Wimbeldon 2009 at all?
    What was the point?
    For me she was just coming back to still have a little bit of fame and any cash she can rack up from tennis.
    I get it that she doesn't need tennis anymore; but then why does she come back?