» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 549

0 members and 549 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Post Week of May 10th WTA Rankings

This is your current Top Ten WTA Players

#1 - SAFINA, DINARA
    #2 - WILLIAMS, SERENA
    #3 - DEMENTIEVA, ELENA
    #4 - JANKOVIC, JELENA
    #5 - WILLIAMS, VENUS
    #6 - ZVONAREVA, VERA
    #7 - IVANOVIC, ANA
    #8 - AZARENKA, VICTORIA
    #9 - KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA
    #10 - PETROVA, NADIA

I think it would be not only great but necessary if Jelena Jankovic won the French Open this year given she's the only one left of the Serbian Three that hasn't and has enjoyed (although short lived) the number one spot in Female Tennis. And if that were not enough, Jelena plays extremely hard, very consistent off the ground and is one of the Women's power hitters that truly is a pleasure to watch at times.

I say at times only because on the WTA side, there is a tendency for the women who hit with serious power off the ground, to be void of tactics while in battle. Most seem to approach the game in a "I'm going to win by blasting you off the Court". Jelena is known for her Down-the-Line Backhand which she does a very good job of opening up the Court in order to produce this signature shot of hers and her Opponents know going in that's what to expect but can't seem to avoid seeing those BH winners over & over again. So I will give her credit in being able to execute her Money Maker Shot even when they know it's coming and can't do anything about it.

Jelena Jankovic
    - Here's to a successful 2009 French Open
    Last edited by Coach; 05-16-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Safina.

I know Safina is now the number one female player in the world according to the rankings but does anyone seriously believe that she is in reality the best player in the world?

I don't and I can't imagine too many players on the Tour would rather face Serena for instance than Dinara.

Quote Originally Posted by ilendl View Post
    I know Safina is now the number one female player in the world according to the rankings but does anyone seriously believe that she is in reality the best player in the world?

I don't and I can't imagine too many players on the Tour would rather face Serena for instance than Dinara.
    i think there are men in the top 100 atp ranks that wouldnt want to face Serena

Yeah you are 100% correct. We've had many occurrences through history where the #1 Player didn't win a Major. But it corrects itself rather quickly. For those who became #1 void of a Major, their reign at the Top was short lived.

There's a lot of points & prize money available to those who play all these smaller tournaments that none of the Top Contenders even think about. You can make a very nice living doing that and if you're ambitious enough, before you realize it, you're #1 because of all the points.

Last week when the best in the World played Monte Carlo, Lleyton Hewitt was in Las Vegas defending his Championship against a field of "What's His Names".
    Talk about cheap shot ! Good Ole Lleyton felt it was much better for his ego I guess.

LT ~ Do you think Serena is as good as she once was or her Prime is behind her?
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    LT ~ Do you think Serena is as good as she once was or her Prime is behind her?
    She could be 'over the hill', but I wonder if that matters. She's just that talented and potentially dominant.

Couldn't agree more Lawn Tennis!

And by the way Coach I think Hewitt was in Houston for the Clay Championships and I'm fairly sure he wasn't defending his title.
    Actually it made sense to play there - his chances to go deep at Monte Carlo were slim and you could tell by his reaction to the win that it meant a lot to him to finally win a title for the first time in a few years.

No, She may be ranked number 1 but that doesn't mean she is the best in the world...

Couldn't agree more Lawn Tennis!

And by the way Coach I think Hewitt was in Houston for the Clay Championships and I'm fairly sure he wasn't defending his title.
    Actually it made sense to play there - his chances to go deep at Monte Carlo were slim and you could tell by his reaction to the win that it meant a lot to him to finally win a title for the first time in a few years.

Well I understand why he (Hewitt) played there but it's like when Andre Agassi was playing the Challenger Circuit, how can you serious think winning a Title against Players ranked miles below you is respectable? I mean if all Hewitt wants are Titles & Money, then that's all he needs to do is play tournaments where's assured to win over guys ranked 20 to 30 spots below him.

As I see it, there's very little respect in beating up people that are compared to beginners against you. I think they call it Sandbagging. Yeah the Tournament is Open which means anyone can enter but that's like Roger Federer needing to break Sampras' Alltime Title record so he plays Challenger Tourneys to assure that he doesn't run into anyone who can stop him.

Just doesn't seem right ..

right now these rankings are shoken up every couple of weeks, so i dont think there is a real "#1" but there are many fighting for it. personally i find it exciting when so many players all are this good. Nadal and federer make it a little boring( not anymore, but the last to years it was always nadal vs. federer in finals) anyway, i dont think serena is consistent enogh to get, or hold, the #1 spot

Quote Originally Posted by ty17383 View Post
    i dont think serena is consistent enogh to get, or hold, the #1 spot
    she is a little inconsistent, but she seems to have control of her consistency. what i'm saying is she seems to turn it on and off at will. perhaps sometimes she's just not into the game like she once was.

Week of May 10th Madrid - Current Rankings

This is the latest WTA Rankings for the Week of May 10th. 2009
    In the order of their posting. Can You Name Them?