» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 512

0 members and 512 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    no doubt. we won't give anything way, but we will tell you that you are in for some good tennis.

Dbls Tour ??? I'm quite certain with the level of Tennis I've seen lately, Steffi Graf could still compete on the Tour and beat a lot of people. I would not bet against her grabbing at least one more Slam Title.

Maybe not at the USO nor Australia but on Clay & Grass, I'd easily give her Contender Status. How about you guys, do you think she would be a serious contender for the French and/or Wimbledon?

After having 3 kids, she's still in good shape and a smacking the ball very clean. Problem is, she's still slicing her backhand as always, even though it a tough shot to deal with, Steffi's only weapon is really her forehand & serve which many of the girls today have. The one advantage she has is her experience in Majors. Let's face it, she knows how to win matches.
    You can't accuse Steffi Graf of chocking at the finish line. She knows how to close and you'd be surprised to know how many don't know how to close, which is why there are so many 3 Set matches after a Player has beaten the crap out of their Opponent in the 1st Set. They tend to slack off, which Steffi doesn't do. When she's ahead, she likes to stay that way.

I was a professional musician for most of my life and played on many stages and I could tell from the expression on her face that she really enjoyed being back on Center Court Wimbledon with the Crowd yelling her name. It was like old times .

Interest how Steffi is so uncomfortable talking in front of crowds. I can tell she's constantly struggling to find the words to say. It actually appears as though, Steffi wants to say something funny but she isn't a natural public speaker so it's difficult for her. Steffi is one of those people who felt her racquet did the talking for her. All this lady ever wanted to do was just play Tennis and she never appreciated the interviews that went with the territory. Andre on the other hand is very comfortable with a Mic in his hand. By the way, as I said, I was always a Clijster's Fan and found myself impressed bby her performance. Unfortunately she's going to need to bring her level much higher in order to compete on the Tour these days with players like Safina, Jankovic, Williams Sisters and others. This is going to be a very hard test for our Darling Kim and I hope she doesn't get too frustrated if her early results aren't what she hopes for.
    Last edited by Coach; 05-20-2009 at 02:40 AM.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

All this old school talk makes me jealous that i didn't experience the history the rest of you take for granted. seriously though, it would've been nice to have lived the sport in any form.. i missed out on so much. Steffi is amazing! And three kids! now Kim, my question is "why did you retire?" i really could see her having trouble getting back into the groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    now Kim, my question is "why did you retire?" i really could see her having trouble getting back into the groove.

She met a guy and decided it was her best opportunity to have a kid so she took the shot. But like most who love what they do, it's hard to stay away. Lyndsay Davenport couldn't stay away until it became too hard to manage family will being on the Tour even with all the money she has.

A. Myskina left the tour during her most promising moment to have a baby as well but I don't think you'll see her back anytime soon.

It is equally great to see Dokic return to the Tour but I didn't see her in any of the French Warmup Tournaments so I'm thinking she'll not play the French.

Comebacks are very difficult because you are hoping to be a factor based upon your last results however the game doesn't wait for you. Look at the William's Sisters. Only Serena has proven to be a factor on the Tour. Even with Venus banging the ball the way she does, she's being met with equal opposition to her surprise and cementing the notion that pound for pound, Serena was & is the better player of the two.

The type of training Steffi would have to endure to become a part of the Tour again is way beyond her capability with three children. I don't think Andre is going to be a House Husband while watching her have fun on the Tour and neither of them seem the type that would simply allow an Nanny take care of their kids while they play tennis. So we can count Steffi out.

An occasional exhibition Match she might do but that's about it. The woman Commentator asked her if she still played Tennis and she replied "No". However everyone on the Planet knows that's just a damn lie. They have two different surface courts in their backyard and Andre Agassi as a husband and she doesn't hit the ball? I don't believe it for a minute.

Plus, if you watched any of the Match, she struck the ball for too clean and I personally believe She nor Andre were into winning those matches. To them they had nothing to prove by winning. For them it was merely fun. For Kim, it was necessary in showing how she may fair on the Tour again. It once again demonstrates Steffi's Class by allowing Kim to win because she knows Kim will need all the confidence she can get.
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.