Tennis

» Site Navigation

 > FAQ

» Stats

Members: 14,965
Threads: 146,614
Posts: 158,379
Top Poster: antoni (129,054)
Welcome to our newest member, JFifield

» Online Users: 83

5 members and 78 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 601, 08-31-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109

    How fast do you serve?

    I'm just curious how much pace the TW members can put behind their tennis serve. Now I know not many people have access to a radar gun. What one can do is have their tennis partner use a stop watch to count the time that goes by from impact with the racquet to impact on the first bounce. At this point, one will measure the distance from the serve impact to the first bounce. Then you need to convert feet per second to miles per hour. I did it, and came up with approximately 98 mph. Very happy with that! If you don't feel like going through all the trouble, just guess what you believe your serve to be.

  2. #2
    That's going to be a fairly inaccurate method. Most people are going to push the start button after the contact and again hit it late after the bounce. If you're really interested you should get a speed gun. I picked up one called a Bushnell 2 about 2 years ago or so for only $70.
    The Tennis Wiki
    Information on everything tennis, you review and rate it all!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTennisWiki View Post
    That's going to be a fairly inaccurate method. Most people are going to push the start button after the contact and again hit it late after the bounce. If you're really interested you should get a speed gun. I picked up one called a Bushnell 2 about 2 years ago or so for only $70.
    i actually took it a step further. i recorded a ten minute session of my serves. i then chose a serve i felt was fastest. moreover, i went back and measured the distance as mentioned above. finally i played and replayed the video 23 times until i came up with a consistent duration. ill have to look into one of those radar guns, as that would be much easier, but i believe the measurement is accurate +/- 5 mph.

    so how fast do you serve?
    Last edited by Lawn Tennis; 04-30-2009 at 02:27 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    240
    I was at Rod Laver Arena, something like last year, and the machine recorded my highest to be: 156 KPH.
    I think I've done higher, once, but not sure what the accurate number is. Something
    like 170 MPH.
    Last edited by Robyna; 07-23-2009 at 06:39 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post
    I was at Rod Laver Arena, something like last year, and the machine recorded my highest to be: 156 MPH.
    I think I've done higher, once, but not sure what the accurate number is. Something
    like 170 MPH.
    Are you sure you have not mistaken 'miles per hour' for 'kilometers per hour'?

  6. #6

    Talking Fence test

    I just look to get my serve to hit the fence after one bounce as my test for doing OK.
    I can hit bullets but i have to change my motion and it plays hell on my shoulder. So i only do that on ocassion.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by haretrigger View Post
    I just look to get my serve to hit the fence after one bounce as my test for doing OK.
    I can hit bullets but i have to change my motion and it plays hell on my shoulder. So i only do that on ocassion.
    not a bad idea.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    240
    Are you sure you have not mistaken 'miles per hour' for 'kilometers per hour'?
    Well, really you ought to ask the Rod Laver Arena directors that, haven't you?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post
    Well, really you ought to ask the Rod Laver Arena directors that, haven't you?
    haven't i asked them if they record in kph or mph?

    off-topic: you were able to play at the Rod Laver Arena! that is incredible.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    240
    I'm quite sure it was KPH.
    And, I don't know, have you asked them?

    Yes, it was quite incredible. But also very nerve racking as their was a crowd of over 2000+ due to it being the finals..
    Last edited by Robyna; 07-23-2009 at 06:40 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post
    Yes, it was quite incredible. But also very nerve racking as their was a crowd of over 2000+ due to it being the finals.

    sweet! when was this... and how did the match play out?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post

    Yes, it was quite incredible. But also very nerve racking as their was a crowd of over 2000+ due to it being the finals.
    Why were u playing there? jw like a junior tourney final or what jw

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    240
    It was at the end of last year, I think November or October.
    It was the Victorian: State Champion Ships.
    Well, the final scores were 6-2 / 3-6, my way.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post
    It was at the end of last year, I think November or October.
    It was the Victorian: State Champion Ships.
    Well, the final scores were 6-2 / 3-6, my way.
    i'm jealous

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post
    It was at the end of last year, I think November or October.
    It was the Victorian: State Champion Ships.
    Well, the final scores were 6-2 / 3-6, my way.
    Tight

Similar Threads

  1. Any tips at throwing off a fast opponent?
    By clock- in forum Tennis Tips and Instruction
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 06:17 PM
  2. Sampras' second serve
    By Lawn Tennis in forum Pro Players Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 09:32 PM
  3. help me with my return of serve
    By Lawn Tennis in forum General Tennis Discussion Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-16-2009, 05:07 AM
  4. Plz Help Me With My Second Serve!!!
    By goodynotion in forum General Tennis Discussion Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 07:52 AM
  5. Regarding Serve
    By tennisguru in forum Tennis Tips and Instruction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 04:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.0.1