» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 609

0 members and 609 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Nope, aside from the cold the weather was perfect today.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    Nope, aside from the cold the weather was perfect today.
    And why let a sunny calm day go to waste? BTW, after a month or so of practicing the cobra serve, you will no longer need to consciously serve that way. Not only will it become second nature, but also you will find that the cobra hanging arm will look relatively subtle, yet the power will remain. If you begin to notice your serve slowing down or feel like you're bending over backwards to slap an ace, begin to emphasize the cobra preperation for a set or two.

Lucky I live in California, where it rains 6 days a month, the rest being sunny and 65 degrees.
    Tennis is great, but nothing like motocross for it's starts and big wave surfing for it's adrenaline rush. Both for the younger set, as pure aerobics and sprint speeds are needed.
    In the 1978 Fast Serve Contest linked with the TransAmericaProTournament, I was timed 4 out of 7 (I'd swear the 3 long were my fastest), at over 128 mph, with the fastest at 129.4 for second amateur. Most everyone thought my serves were faster than LowellBarnhardt's, but he got fastest.....he hit with topspin on his first serves.
    My speeds were mid pros, with Dibley at 149 for his one fastest.
    YonnexOPSGreens and VS gut at 62 lbs.
    Fastest WilsonProStaff speed was 125, but two other's barely high 19's. Brand new WPS's with VS.
    I was a stringer at the TransAmerica tournament for 3 years.
    Stringers can hit fast serves, they just can't play tennis very well.
    Now at 60, closer to 100, but most players who actually can return my first serves stand around 5' behind the baseline, then try to move forward is they stroke.
    And first try, no warmup, early in the morning, can still throw a football 55 yards in the air easily.
    But I can't cover alley to alley, so it's a longterm downward trend.

My first serve % is only around 50 but when I am serving well, i think I can reach 120 mph occasionally. Like other people, I judge whether I'm serving well by how hard it hits the back fence without bouncing after leaving the court

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLogan View Post
    My first serve % is only around 50 but when I am serving well, i think I can reach 120 mph occasionally. Like other people, I judge whether I'm serving well by how hard it hits the back fence without bouncing after leaving the court
    And if it's still rising when it hits the fence when regulation size behind the baseline, you know you've hit a bomb.

I'd assume air temperatures and elevation has something to do with service speeds.
    Nowadays, I only play at sea level, or +300', and temps below 65 degrees. Anything hotter, I can't breathe, but my serve goes really fast and bounces really high.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    I'd assume air temperatures and elevation has something to do with service speeds.
    Nowadays, I only play at sea level, or +300', and temps below 65 degrees. Anything hotter, I can't breathe, but my serve goes really fast and bounces really high.
    How's your placement?

Placement, something you can do when you play lots, something you lose if you only play once a month.
    Lately, first flat serves deuce court at the body about 100%, but I can only get my fast ones in 30% of the time.
    Duece court top/slice right up the middle, me LEFTY, about 60% within 6" of the center line, returner hits the return from about 5' inside the AD court.
    Ad court, wide swinger, short of the intersect, maybe 50%. I don't practice ever.
    Ad court, first flat up the middle, I can hit within 6" of the centerline maybe 70% of the time, but some go long, other's go into the netcord, about 30% if I"m pounding it.
    Second serves, mostly top but some duece court twists, full 100% swing speeds, directed wide, at the body, or up the middle, easily 95% with normal bounces around upper chest heights. Twists up around lower head heights.
    This in winter tennis, 60 degrees or colder, concrete courts.
    I claim to be 4.0 singlesnowadaze, but have played over 10 Open tourneys always going more than a few rounds, and 2 ProQ's, going 4 rounds once, 5 rounds the following year. Those were in the late '70's. I've gotten 40 years older since.

I've done around 180-190 km/h:P (kilometers)