» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 543

0 members and 543 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Coaching Your Kid

On another forum Bubo states that to become a coach one should get certified by the USPTA or PTR. Well, if you wanted results (as he suggests is the mark of a good coach) I would recommend MTM Certification! As Oscar indicates, coaches from other certification organizations are welcome to become MTM certified, AND he encourages involved parents to get certified as well.

Here is an excerpt from my website regarding tennis coaching:

"Many parents with or without a tennis background are eager for their children to begin lessons but have reservations about becoming involved in the teaching process. MTM encourages parents to educate themselves in the basic techniques in order to help their children learn to love and master this wonderful sport. With...OSCAR WEGNER’s Book and DVDs parents can develop the skills necessary to assist their children; there is even a MTM certification category especially for those amateur “coaches” such as parents who wish to demonstrate and certify their knowledge of Modern Tennis Methodology."

To expand on this here is Oscar's statement about MTM certification:

"Over the years I have received requests from coaches who teach using my techniques to have certification procedures. I am authorizing, for that purpose, a coaching organization called MODERN TENNIS METHODOLOGY (MTM) to be administered under the direction of John Carpenter, the current Director of Certification and Testing. This coaching organization will fill a void at the grassroots level for simple and easy “Play Like The Pros” tennis instruction."

This goes for parents from any ability and knowledge level of tennis.

If you are not convinced about a particular technique in your child's game (say, the western forehand grip) or the way tennis teaching is being delivered to your child (say, at the Evert Academy), why not find out for yourself what's best for your child by studying Oscar's method and getting certified? Meet Oscar and see for yourself how he and his coaches apply his tech. Compare other styles of teaching and other methods with MTM and ask the question (as Dr. Phil would say) "How's it working for ya?"

Buying Oscar's book and DVDs and educating yourself on how to teach your child to play like the pros is the best investment in your child's tennis future you could possible make. It will empower you to determine what is going on with your child's coaching and help you be proactively informed.

This is not intended as an "ad" - it is truly the best tennis advice I, as a teaching professional, a tennis parent and a player can give. Instead of finding yourself somewhere down the line saying "woulda, coulda shoulda" with regards to your child's tennis coaching and his tennis career, exercise your influence now to give your child the opportunity to try MTM, then ask yourselves "How's it workin for us?" I know you will be amazed and thrilled with the results.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

Thanks a lot, Tennis Angel. I'll probably try to go down that route.

It worked pretty well for Richard Williams with his 2 girls...Of course, he didn't get MTM certified (LOL), but he DID study Oscar's videos and insisted on Venus and Serena using Oscar's techniques rigorously, even when they were with other coaches. Years later he thanked Oscar for the method which helped him take his girls to the pinnacle of success in tennis.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.