» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 511

0 members and 511 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    you almost had me going ;-)

let's see here. you're about 38 years old and American. your highest ATP rank was about 450. you beat Sebastien Grosjean some time ago. you were Martina Hingis' hitting partner for a bit. you work in an office, and sometimes you consider jumping out the window to end the boredom. i really dont know...
    Yikes, okay, I'm making you do homework. My highest end of year ranking was 403 in 1994. My highest ranking period was 328 which lasted for 2 weeks. I only look at end of year rankings. Sorry, I should have specified that earlier. My first name is Brett. Maybe that is why they had me down as Australian on the ATP site. There are quite a few Australians with my first name. And yes, since I work on the first floor, the jump would do nothing but look stupid, so.................This site is making me really have the urge to start coaching again.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Robyna my special member ~ I must echo our friend TK's Post and if you've read any of mine regarding return of serve, you will see a consistent message that standing back is not something I teach my kids. Granted, the technique for hitting on the rise is not one that comes instantly. You have to work at it. There are no short cuts, although some get it faster than others. But at the end of the day, standing back is not a wise tactic. If I were playing you and noticed that you are standing back, I would have a field day with all the points I'd earn from my serve alone. You can bet I would not go down the T as often however I would slice it out wide and simply hit cross court should you get your racquet on the ball. Plus I would follow it in.

Thank about your options when you're standing out wide? You can either return DTL or CC so my approach to the Net would be what? Yes of course, directly to either the Ad-Court corner or the Deuce-Court corner, cutting away your chance of passing me and you would have given me plenty of time because of the distance you are standing.

My friend, you need to abandon that game plan and start standing on the baseline. Our Moderator buddy (LT) has problems with high bouncing balls up around his shoulders and everybody has problems with that as well.

If you stand back waiting for the ball to come back down to a reasonable height so you can deal with it, oh my you're going to see nothing but your opponent standing at the net with a big old smile of their face just a waiting for your shot to smack down. And how effective of a lob can you produce from way back yonder?

HIT ON THE RISE
    has and will always be my shot of choice.

Advantages of hitting on the rise:
    * Your opponent has less time to react.
    * You cut off your opponent's angles earlier so that you have less court to cover.
    * Being closer to the net, you can hit sharper angles.
    * You prevent your opponent from kicking the ball above your comfort zone.
    * The ball has slightly more incoming speed when it hits your strings and thus slightly more rebound speed.

*Please watch this video that I find is fairly close to how I teach my kids. If you recall, I mentioned using the wall in one of my earlier post on this topic.

I wish you guys were closer to me, I'd give all of you a few lessons for free well except TK that is. But it ticks me off that TK dropped from the Tour because I have a feeling had he stuck it out, good things were just around the corner for him. Btw gang - I know who he is, have any of you figured it out yet?

Coach

Good reasons I never thought of there..
    Thanks Coach,
    I used that tactic often because most of them ended up winners in my favor.
    Why am I fighting to live, if I'm just living to fight
    Why am I trying to see, when there aint nothing in sight
    Why am I trying to give, when no one gives me a try
    Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die?
    -Tupac Shakur

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Yikes, okay, I'm making you do homework. My highest end of year ranking was 403 in 1994. My highest ranking period was 328 which lasted for 2 weeks. I only look at end of year rankings. Sorry, I should have specified that earlier. My first name is Brett. Maybe that is why they had me down as Australian on the ATP site. There are quite a few Australians with my first name. And yes, since I work on the first floor, the jump would do nothing but look stupid, so.................This site is making me really have the urge to start coaching again.
    i'm still clueless. wow, 403/328 is far from a failure. of the billions of people in this world, you were 328th!