» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 523

0 members and 523 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

tuition reimbursement

Hi. i know this is very off topic, but i figured it was worth a shot. recently i was terminated by my employer whom i was with for over 3 years. i was attending college at my employer's expense. the only guideline was that i needed to stay with them for one year upon completion of each course which i did. moreover, the company owed me approximately $1500 toward tuition reimbursement before they fired me. i live in PA; does anyone know if i have the legal ability to go after them for that money?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Hi. i know this is very off topic, but i figured it was worth a shot. recently i was terminated by my employer whom i was with for over 3 years. i was attending college at my employer's expense. the only guideline was that i needed to stay with them for one year upon completion of each course which i did. moreover, the company owed me approximately $1500 toward tuition reimbursement before they fired me. i live in PA; does anyone know if i have the legal ability to go after them for that money?

Sorry LT but I am not an authority on this issue however I wanted to know if

1. Did you happen to call them and simply ask for the money?
    If not, you may wish to try that because it might work in your favor.

2. Do you know the Company's policy on this issue across the Board?

3. Were you by chance a member of a Union at this Company?
    If so, did you contact your Union Headquarters and ask them to look into it for you?

My thinking is, apparently your company told you they would reimburse you providing you followed the guidelines, which according to what you wrote, you apparently did, so if you have this documented, does it stipulate anything about what happens if you are terminated for whatever reason, does it make any mention of tuition money?

Good Luck LT

yes, i have talked to them numerous times, and they won't give me a direct answer. they tell me "they are looking into it", but it's been over a month now.

the pamphlet they provided states what i said and not much more.

no union either

thank you for the response.

how frustrating! I would double check your employment contract and see if you can find more there, otherwise talk to them again and let them know you are considering talking to a lawyer about the matter if it doesn't get resolved in a timely manner

Hi LT ~

I'm a little confused about something. You are saying you attended studies at your employer's expense and yet now that you are terminated from that employ, you claim they owe you money for tuition. My question is from everything I've read and asked my wife about, if you were paying for your education with the agreement that your employer would reimburse you, then that's one issue but if your employer was paying for your education and stopped at the moment of your termination, then it doesn't seem like your employer would be responsible any longer.

Therefore, we both want to know how is it that they owe monies when they footed the Bill in the first place?

I can see how you find this confusing; because I left out some of the story so as not to bore the members anymore than I have to. Initially, I have to pay for the tuition, books, and other costs. Once I obtain a score of 'C' or better, I submit that information and wait for reimbursement. Apparently there was a delay in the process -- the woman who was handling my paperwork passed away (rest in peace). So, i had to resubmit. Since that time, they have been telling me to have patience because it will soon arive. It's been over a year, and now that I'm fired it's even more complicated. There are more details, but that's it in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    I can see how you find this confusing; because I left out some of the story so as not to bore the members anymore than I have to. Initially, I have to pay for the tuition, books, and other costs. Once I obtain a score of 'C' or better, I submit that information and wait for reimbursement. Apparently there was a delay in the process -- the woman who was handling my paperwork passed away (rest in peace). So, i had to resubmit. Since that time, they have been telling me to have patience because it will soon arive. It's been over a year, and now that I'm fired it's even more complicated. There are more details, but that's it in a nutshell.
    OIC that makes all the sense in the World to me. In my opinion (and you might want to ask others) you have a legitimate claim. I would not waiting one more minute for this. What I would do is send them a Formal letter Notarized telling them that if you do not hear from them within one weeks time, you will file a Law Suit and (very important) include charges for your inconvenience as well plus Filing Charges and any other associated charges. In other words, make it sound as if, this is going to cost them a helluva lot more than what they owe plus the Bad PR from the Better Business Bureau as well. Do It LT don't delay. Get that letter out to them and make sure you have it Notarized. I'm a Notary and I'll tell you it sends a message that you're serious.

Good Luck (By the way, you do have a Legal Right to this Money) I suppose you don't have any paperwork that documents your agreement with them do you? If you did, that would be all you need in Court. If not, the Court's going to have decide who's telling the truth based upon how you present yourself.

You know I wish you the best.
    Oh yeah one more thing, get your Transcripts together from school. Any paperwork you have to build your case.

Coach
    Last edited by Coach; 05-22-2009 at 11:40 AM.