» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 726

0 members and 726 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: protein shakes

protein shakes

Im looking in to buying some to help repair muscles after really long matches and just to generally help my muscles.

Im finding when i play in tournaments, if i play for like 3 hours, the next day im in quite a lot of pain and find it hard to play in the next round.

Anyone use a protein shake for tennis that they would recommend?

i just consume plenty of carbs before and after the match. sometimes i eat a small booster like a snickers bar during the match.

Besides my regular job I am playing like 5 - 8 hrs weekly, during the outside season,plus some Tennis-specific workouts.
    I use Body Attack.
    http://www.body-attack.com/

I also just try to eat a lot of carbs before, i eat a lot of protein bars and bananas though too. ive never had a protein shake before though

Smile

I used to get those morning after aches and I found that having a protein shake before going to bed made alot of difference in my recovery time. When I was looking for a protein supplement I found there are a lot of supplements out there, in places like Holland & Barrett which are full of extras like creatine, bulking agents, fillers and sweeteners. Which is great of you're on a mission to become the next Mr. Universe in the gym but not great if you're taking it for any other reason.

I'd recommend that you steer clear of the high street and wellbeing shops as they are full of overpriced, poor quality protein supplements. Don't be fooled by the fake H&B sales. Over the last few years I've tried various suppliers and supplements and the best place i've found by far is an online store called myprotein.co.uk

I buy the Ultimate Whey Supplement 5lb. At over 2.2kg it lasts me 2 months and actually tastes great. Like a nice bedtime treat, lol. Btw, you can also save 5% off your first order by using this discount code MP70935 at the checkout.

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/protein-supplements/true-whey-(5lb)/

Hope it helps,

Rik
    Last edited by Ryder; 06-01-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Carbs are what will keep you going for extended periods of time and avoid glycogen depletion.
    If you want a 'protein' supplement, there's nothing like milk.
    The no. 1 All-Time best protein 'shake'.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie65 View Post
    Carbs are what will keep you going for extended periods of time and avoid glycogen depletion.
    what food/drink should we avoid that cause glycogen depletion?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie65 View Post
    I used to be an avid fan of the white stuff but then I realised i'd have to drink a lot of milk, over a litre, to match the same amount of protein which I'd get from just one whey protein shake. I also started getting alot of stomach cramps during matches when I was drinking milk, my doctor told me that most people are actually sensitive to cow's milk because our bodies don't have the necessary enzymes to digest it properly and my massive intake of milk was aggravating this.

I'd say a good whey protein shake mixed with some honey and water/fruit juice is the perfect way keep your energy levels up and stop those after match aches!

HTH,

Rik

Glycogen depletion happens during long periods of physical activity.
    Having a good amount of it stored up - meaning having consumed enough carbohydrates - lets you last longer.

If cow milk bothers you, try goat milk, tastes good and is ok for most people who are lactose intolerant.
    If you're getting nauseous, that's a sure sign you ate/drank too much and too close to match time, allow at least an hour or so between meals and the start of your workout/match.
    The amount of protein the average person actually needs is actually quite small and consuming protein drinks during matches is kind of a waste, save them for after.
    Stick to water during a match, that's what you need to replenish.

chocolate milk is supposed to do wonders for recovery..maybe try that

Most protein shakes will do just fine. Find one that you actually can stand the taste of. #2. Stretch after each match. Heavily. #3. Drink a ton of water after your matches. #4. The big one. Do some sort of physical exercise (I used to jump rope) after your matches to get the lactic acid out of your muscles. Do it for a few minutes every couple of hours after your match. This will get your body to flush some of the lactic acid out of your muscles and keep you from being sore. Stretch after each session.
    Hope it helps...........

Quote Originally Posted by aliciasace View Post
    Im looking in to buying some to help repair muscles after really long matches and just to generally help my muscles.

Im finding when i play in tournaments, if i play for like 3 hours, the next day im in quite a lot of pain and find it hard to play in the next round.

Anyone use a protein shake for tennis that they would recommend?