» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 512

0 members and 512 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Can Wii Tennis Improve Your Game?

Some of my kids are telling me that this new game called Wii has a Tennis Game Program and they go on to claim that playing it can increase your Hand - Eye Coordination with Tennis. I've never played nor seen this game therefore I'd like to know if any of you have this Game and do you agree with this assessment?

Thank You,
    Coach
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

hahaha if anything it would make you worse. You have to completely change your technique to be able to hit the ball on the wii, it was crazy when i did it.

Quote Originally Posted by aliciasace View Post
    hahaha if anything it would make you worse. You have to completely change your technique to be able to hit the ball on the wii, it was crazy when i did it.
    AH HA ! So you are suggesting they were playing with me huh? In other words, they are teasing me if what you say is true. Ok, I like fun and I'll figure a way to get them back. There's 13 of them now and collectively they were telling me this in a way that seemed this is the new wave of Tennis technique. One kid went as far as to say, the Wii company made this especially for that purpose and I find it amazing how good they are at lying with a straight face

I shall win in the end ...
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.

if it raises interest in tennis, then it's a good thing. i really can't see people having trouble because the wii nunchuck is too light or whatever excuse they may come up with. i have Virtua Tennis on the PS3 which has the option to use motion sensors, and it's a great party game; nothing more, nothing less.

I would say it won't do much for their technique or footwork. You actually can control where you hit the ball, which is based on timing not body positioning. You control the swing, but not the character movement. The motions can be a simple wrist flick and the mii character will return the ball.

Now as for tennis strategy, they may be able to learn a bit from playing wii sports tennis. They may learn what shots get people out of position and the advantages of being at the net.

I've got to agree with lawn tennis on this one. Anything that raises their interest in tennis and gets them thinking about it is a good thing.
    The Tennis Wiki
    Information on everything tennis, you review and rate it all!

Wii? No

This game will not improve your game but it won't really harm it either unless you stress out your arm by gripping too hard or playing too long (the golf is even worse in that regard). For little kids who do not understand the rules and vocabulary of tennis it could help them learn about scoring and the basics of how the game is played. It did heighten my grandson's interest in going out on the court as well, so in those 2 respects it is helpful. Technically, however, it really has nothing to do with real tennis, except in the sense that you still have to watch and "wait" for the ball as you should do in real tennis, but only in a simulated/artificial way.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTennisWiki View Post
    I would say it won't do much for their technique or footwork. You actually can control where you hit the ball, which is based on timing not body positioning. You control the swing, but not the character movement. The motions can be a simple wrist flick and the mii character will return the ball.

Now as for tennis strategy, they may be able to learn a bit from playing wii sports tennis. They may learn what shots get people out of position and the advantages of being at the net.

I've got to agree with lawn tennis on this one. Anything that raises their interest in tennis and gets them thinking about it is a good thing.

Well Thank You TennisWiki and a belated Welcome to TennisW.Com from me and all the Gang including Tennis Angel, Lawn Tennis & Aliciasace, who are all Members of the Management Team on the Forum. Knowing them I'm quite certain they have either already greeted you or join me in my greeting.

Yeah, as a tool for peaking one's interest, I suppose a computer game could be fun if it's interactive. It also appears I might be the only person that hasn't seen this game as yet. Tennis Angel, mentioned Golf, so I guess what, there's an assortment of games related to ball control (maybe).

Coach,
    Senior Moderator
    TennisW.Com

The Wii has an enormous library for being just a couple years old. Bowling, football, baseball, hockey, soccer, pool, golf, boxing, and of course tennis are some of the big sellers. Actually, every sports game sells well on the Wii. Nintendo has made a console that appeals to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    The Wii has an enormous library for being just a couple years old. Bowling, football, baseball, hockey, soccer, pool, golf, boxing, and of course tennis are some of the big sellers. Actually, every sports game sells well on the Wii. Nintendo has made a console that appeals to everyone.
    R U saying we should buy Stock in Nintendo?

Well for anyone interested they are trading at/or around $33.00 USD
    Nintendo Co Ltd Depository Receipt (NTDOY)
    Last edited by Coach; 05-24-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    R U saying we should buy Stock in Nintendo?

Well for anyone interested they are trading at/or around $33.00 USD
    Nintendo Co Ltd Depository Receipt (NTDOY)
    lol, definitely should have. it's too late now.