» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 768

0 members and 768 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Should i buy a stringing machine

ok, i break my strings about every 10 days or so, i do own to prince speedport black rackets but when i take my rackets in 2 get restung, somtimes they dont give me them back until my other is almost broken( i have another racket 2 but it is a junior racket). I am NOT good at most assembly things and stufff like that but because costs are adding up, may want to buy a stringing machine. do you guys think i should buy one if so what is a good kind ( preferably a tabletop kind) and those who have them how hard is it to sting rackets?

you must generate a lot of power. what kind of string are you using?

The first thing you should be aware of is that the speedport racquets are a bit different to string compared to other racquets. If you are using the string port insert you will need either a boomerang tool from prince, a large sharpie cap, a stringer with a turntable lock, or a setup where you can use your hip as a turntable lock (not fun!). If you are using the string hole inserts then they are about the same as any other racquet.

If you have the time and want to save some money, getting a stringing machine is a good idea especially considering you break strings every 10 days. A machine like a klippermate which is a good entry level machine with a lifetime warranty will run you about $130 http://www.klipperusa.com. Average markup on strings (the cost to have it strung) at most places is $10-15, so you'd have made you money back after several months.

I'll be honest, your first few stringjobs especially with the annoyance of a speedport racquet will probably take you between 2 1/2 - 3 hours. After just a few racquets though you should have it down to an hour or so. There are youtube videos that show how to string racquets. Search for the videos of yulittle.

For your reference, the machine I have is the Alpha Pioneer DC+. I chose this over the klippermate because my strings don't make it to 10 days . It has a 6 point mounting system, which protects the racquet a bit more, and has sliding clamps rather than floating which in my opinion saves some time. I have used a klippermate before, and will say that for the money it is hard to beat it as an entry level stringer if you will be stringing less than 1 racquet a week.
    The Tennis Wiki
    Information on everything tennis, you review and rate it all!

wow, you're really living up to your name "TheTennisWiki".

Talking Tension

Quote Originally Posted by TheTennisWiki View Post
    The first thing you should be aware of is that the speedport racquets are a bit different to string compared to other racquets. If you are using the string port insert you will need either a boomerang tool from prince, a large sharpie cap, a stringer with a turntable lock, or a setup where you can use your hip as a turntable lock (not fun!). If you are using the string hole inserts then they are about the same as any other racquet.

If you have the time and want to save some money, getting a stringing machine is a good idea especially considering you break strings every 10 days. A machine like a klippermate which is a good entry level machine with a lifetime warranty will run you about $130 http://www.klipperusa.com. Average markup on strings (the cost to have it strung) at most places is $10-15, so you'd have made you money back after several months.

I'll be honest, your first few stringjobs especially with the annoyance of a speedport racquet will probably take you between 2 1/2 - 3 hours. After just a few racquets though you should have it down to an hour or so. There are youtube videos that show how to string racquets. Search for the videos of yulittle.

For your reference, the machine I have is the Alpha Pioneer DC+. I chose this over the klippermate because my strings don't make it to 10 days . It has a 6 point mounting system, which protects the racquet a bit more, and has sliding clamps rather than floating which in my opinion saves some time. I have used a klippermate before, and will say that for the money it is hard to beat it as an entry level stringer if you will be stringing less than 1 racquet a week.
    The one thing i will add is how important is uniform string tension to you?
    The Klippermate comes with clamps that are not connected to the machine(FLYING CLAMPS) These by nature are inaccurate. A machine with good quality fixed clamps are important to equal string tension. You can set levels and markers to make sure your machine is level when you pull each string.
    At first it will seem like you are doing something over your head but it will come.
    Alpha has a good reputation so its worth a look. The most common advice i hear and belive is buy the best machine you can afford. Not only for your own enjoyment but, if you ever deside to sell it there is always a market for good equipment. The other side of this is if you buy cheap nobody wants used junk. Hope this helps

1.right now, pro hurricane
    2.string tension is pretty important
    3. can u explain the speedport thing a little better, you did a good job but i still dont quite get it

Quote Originally Posted by ty17383 View Post
    1.right now, pro hurricane
    2.string tension is pretty important
    3. can u explain the speedport thing a little better, you did a good job but i still dont quite get it
    Take a look at the sides of your racquets. Literally the holes are offset a bit. I believe on the black there is a grommet that says starting knot. Start from that side of the racquet at the top cross string and trace with your finger the string going back and forth. You will notice that after you reach the holes that the string runs from the top of one hole to the bottom on the other side. The problem is the way the strings will pull when tensioned is from top of one hole to the top of the other, so you have to force the string to be at the bottom on the other side. Prince makes a tool specifically for this called a boomerang tool, but a large sharpie cap can be used if you don't have one. What it is used for is to shove into the hole and separate the strings. It will make the string run from top to bottom like it is supposed to instead of top to top like it tries to do when tensioned. The other part I mentioned about a turntable lock will actually prevent the turntable from turning to make sure the string is pulled correctly, and the alternative to this is to use your hip to keep the turntable from moving.

I will also mention one more thing about having your own machine and that is the quality of the stringjob. Alot of places in my area at least, the stringers will double pull the mains to save time. This means they tension 2 mains at the same time which causes a large loss in tension as each main should be tensioned individually. Most of these guys are paid just a few dollars a stringjob, so they use lots of shortcuts so they can string as many racquets as they can in an hour.
    The Tennis Wiki
    Information on everything tennis, you review and rate it all!