» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 519

0 members and 519 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Why Federer Will Win the French

A look into a potential victory at this years French Open for the Mighty Roger Federer. What do you guys think?

http://tennisconnected.com/home/2009...in-the-french/

another good article. he may be on to something.

Nice article but nothing more than wishful thinking in my opinion. First of all, Federer has already beaten Nadal on Clay once before in 2007 and little good it did there. Actually last year was his best opportunity given last year, he truly had a much easier road to the Finals then he does this year.

Just because there are names that you don't know doesn't mean they aren't great Clay Court Players lurking in waiting. Djokovic is an even better player this year than he was last year and is more determined to beat Roger because he knows how close he is in points.

Personally, I would be surprised to see Federer make it to the Finals and even if he does, he still has Nadal to beat which he will not do this year or next.
    Nadal plays Roger completely different then he does others because he knows how Roger plays and so does he Uncle Tony. Roger's net approach is lacking and actually Nadal seems to have a better net game and less effective passing game than Roger.

Sorry but I don't see it, hope it were true but still I'm not buying.

Coach

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

I think it is possible, but Coach is right, he would still need to beat nadal

i really think Novak Djokovic doesn't stand a chance against Roger Federer. Roger's game is a tier or two higher than Novak's. Nadal is different. I know nobody will agree with me, but I believe Nadal has trouble producing simple winners (i.e., he can't create angles.. only react extremely well to them). Therefore I think that Nadal needs Roger to play aggresively. He thrives on the chase.
    Last edited by Lawn Tennis; 05-26-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Pay day

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Carlos View Post
    A look into a potential victory at this years French Open for the Mighty Roger Federer. What do you guys think?

http://tennisconnected.com/home/2009...in-the-french/
    I think this guy needed to get a PAY DAY to write an article. Well i hope he didn,t get too big a pay check for this one. I think he probably spent more thought on how to cook his eggs this morning than this article as he was in a hurry to get back to his computer games

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    i really think Novak Djokovic doesn't stand a chance against Roger Federer. Roger's game is a tier or two higher than Novak's. Nadal is different. I know nobody will agree with me, but I believe Nadal has trouble producing simple winners (i.e., he can't create angles.. only react extremely well to them). Therefore I think that Nadal needs Roger to play aggresively. He thrives on the chase.

It was bound to happen sooner or later my friend but are we talking about the same Rafael Nadal ? What in the World do you mean by?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis
    Nadal has trouble producing simple winners (i.e., he can't create angles.. only react extremely well to them).
    Rafa creates some mind blowing angles on Court. Time & time again, you'll hear people refer to him in the same light as Monica Seles, who was known for the angles she created from nothing?

Ok, maybe that eluded you but you must agree that Rafa is a fantastic Passing Shot Artist. Well in order to have the ability to pass someone at the Net, you must be able to go for angles that others fear. Rafa is one of the best at not only passing shots but he can thread a needle with his shots.

I'd say he's probably one of the best at it. and I would further go on to say that Rafa is probably one of the best at creating not only angle but hitting winners all over the place.

You must read the Post Match Stats that will indicate his strengths & weaknesses. These are the Stats from Rafa's 1st Rd match.

Your Pal,
    Coach

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.

Okay, maybe I left out an important detail. For the world number one, Nadal has a lousy offensive game. Nadal can create angles all over the place except when they are hit right to him (or down the middle). That's why during the semi's at Madrid the rallies went on inexhaustibly. Djokovic felt he wasn't capable of owning the court so he just put the ball back into play. And Nadal just always plays that way. Nadal plays it safe wishing that his opponent simply produces an error, and it works.
    Last edited by Lawn Tennis; 05-27-2009 at 10:50 AM.

I don't really care who wins - don't have a current 'favorite' player - I just watch for the tennis itself (trying to learn things), but I'm glad it's not going to be a Federer vs. Nadal final AGAIN!
    As good as both of them are, it gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie65 View Post
    I don't really care who wins - don't have a current 'favorite' player - I just watch for the tennis itself (trying to learn things), but I'm glad it's not going to be a Federer vs. Nadal final AGAIN!
    As good as both of them are, it gets old.
    couldn't agree with you more. the French has become ultra-interesting this time around.

SO you guys don't like Rivalries I guess. Look it's very simple, if people are tired of Nadal v Federer then they need to step up and make changes. Obviously this year that happened but I'm referring to the past and if those two guys were the best then they deserve our admiration for that achievement.

You can't blame them for beating everybody in their path and certainly Nadal nor Federer have anything to feel badly about. It's a Sport that requires dedication & determination much like Robin Soderling displayed. And for 2 Sets Tommy Haas.

The Federer / Monfils Match is not a foregone conclusion either given Monfils has a ton of belief in his abilities and Federer is still playing that Backhand Slice game that personally bothers the heck outta me. Granted it's hard to factor how hard the balls are coming off Roger's racquet but it sure doesn't appear to be the same velocity as the balls coming off Nadal & Soderling's Racquets.

Although Roger is considered cool & calm, he doesn't play with the impression of sheer brute force like Nadal does. And I believe he's beginning to leave himself open too much lately which Monfils will certainly try to take advantage of.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    SO you guys don't like Rivalries I guess. Look it's very simple, if people are tired of Nadal v Federer then they need to step up and make changes.

i enjoy rivalries. if Monfils can knock Federer out, it's anyone's guess as to who wins. that would make for some great tennis. it would be more of a hard-hitting tennis match than a psychological tennis match.

Not for nothing but with Andy Murray out of the running and Davydenko out of the running and with the fashion in which Robin Soderling dismissed Davydenko which you must understand, Davydenko is not only a seasoned Player but at his best can push the very best in the Sport around, Soderling has emerged as not only the Giant Slayer but a real Contender for this title.

It has been custom that after a huge victory over a player you were not suppose to beat, you have a let down and yet Soderling had no letdown. He was as accurate & powerful as ever against Davydenko. One would be foolish to think he doesn't have the goods to take this Title, even against Roger Federer should both squeak through to the Finals.

Robin Soderling has certainly pasted his name on History and todays match showed it was no fluke.

I believe Soderling will be defeated by Gonzalez.