» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 719

0 members and 719 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

View Poll Results: Is It Possible to Define the Essence of Tennis in Comprehensive and Concise way?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

2 50.00%
  • Yes

2 50.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis Angel View Post

Tennis is NOT complicated and difficult to learn or to understand. Rather than forcing elaborate computations, explanations and justifications as most coaches, parents and players themselves do to make tennis complicated and difficult, a truly gifted coach simplifies mechanics and frees the player to act instinctively, relying on the being rather than the mind and the body to reach peak performance.
    I have been in tennis for 42 years, and not observer, but actor, and I must say that I do not understand this paragraph.It is very general, more like politician talking than tennis coach.

To me tennis is very difficult sport to teach, to learn, to perform.It may seem to tennis uneducated people that is simple when they watch it on TV, but one who knows something about tennis is aware how much quality work is behind these players on TV.How then can be simple?

Truly gifted coach who understands the essence of tennis (if is so simple why are there more of quality coaches?)can make it less difficult by applying right mechanics and proper order, but this does not mean that tennis is less difficult.

Very rarely the best trained players reach their peak performance, and how can one who learns tennis right away reach peak performance?

When one plays instictively means that he learned certain stroke mechanics, but I do not know how one could learn to play tennis instictively.Does it mean that he/she plays as she/he wishes?If so, this is very close to what my countryman says,"Coach duty is to throw balls, and a child will learn himself if he is talented?".Pretty awful.

I am very perplexed and confused with this content, and persistence to present it as the very best.

www.mytennistory.com

In Depth Description of Bringing a Child Up a Competitive Ladder with Advices and Recommendations
    Last edited by Bubo; 08-26-2009 at 03:17 AM.

Saying exactly what the essence of tennis is, is of course impossible. But it's clear as day when you watch or play a match.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Light View Post
    Saying exactly what the essence of tennis is, is of course impossible. But it's clear as day when you watch or play a match.

Here, I would not agree with you.I think that is possible to define what is tennis all about.Sure, there are very few people who can do that.They must be very knowledgeable, intelligent and experience tennis people.

You say yourself that (essence) is clear as day when you watch or play a match.If that would be like you say that means that it would only need capable tennis people who could define it I do not say that it would be easy, but is possible.
    Many times by reading books I experienced definition of thoughs which I had in my head but I could not define in words.When, I see something like that, I recognize right away that this was present inside my head, but could not see so clearly to define it in words.

I disagree with you very much with you on this statement that is clear as day when you watch or play a match.My opinion is that to 99.99 people is very unclear that is that think that see or do one thing while something completely different is going on.

The essence of tennis is defineable, and if there is essence of tennis means that there is just one right way to learn and play tennis in efficient and effective way.

www.mytennistory.com

In Depth Description of Bringing a Child Up a Competitive Ladder with Advices and Recommendations
    Last edited by Bubo; 08-27-2009 at 04:03 AM.

Is It Possible to Define the Essence of Tennis in Comprehensive and Concise Way?

No.The esence of tennis is myth produced by Bubo.There is not one the most efficient and effective way to learn and play tennis.Learning and playing tennis is stricly individual matter.

Yes.The essence of tennis is the way to learn and play tennis which enables to acquire sound basics of the game so that one can improve during his/her tennis fifetime.

Tennis is a sport usually played between two players (singles) or between two teams of two players each (doubles).

Tennis ranks as one of the most popular spectator and participation sports in the world, with fans and competitors in more than 100 countries. Millions of people, most of them amateurs, play the game worldwide, either as recreation or in amateur tournaments.
    Favorite sports, Tennis

I think that tennis should first and foremost been seen as a fun, interactive social sport, which helps keep you fit and gets you t meet othe like-minded individuals.

Competitive tennis is another thing entirely though. It basically brings together two, or sometimes four people in a gladitorial type encounter, where only the winner(s) survive. I think it was Bud Collins who said that tennis was "Boxing , but without the blood."

You could also compare it to playing physical chess, where two (or four people), hopefully of the same level work out ways to overcome the obstacles on the other side of the net, this can be done, technically, tactically, physically or mentally.

It can also develop into some sort of addiction, so you gotta keep it in perspective.

Happy Valentine's Day to you all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4qklUCixAA&sns=em

THE TENNIS GUY

Tennis for me is all about being a sport for life. I started playing tennis 30 years ago and love it as much now as I did back then. There are so many people that I competed against over the years that never had fun playing tennis. They took it too seriously and could never live up to their expectations. I currently work as a full-time tennis coach in Ireland and my objective is to get as many children playing at a young age. I wish to promote tennis as a fun way of getting exercise, a game that you can continue to play long after retirement from work.

Research has shown that tennis is one of the healthiest, least injurious sports youngsters can play. It is lifetime sport. It builds self-confidence and self-esteem. It teaches self-discipline, self-reliance and respect for others. But, above all, it provides a good way of performing physical exercise whilst having fun. It provides a sporting activity that can be played for life. It can be played and is played by many people from age 6 to 90. It has many benefits from a physical and mental standpoint. On the physical side, it helps to build aerobic fitness, speed, co-ordination/agility and upper and lower body strength. From a psychological point of view it teaches many vital lessons for life.· Ability to deal with adversity/stress· Importance of discipline/work ethic· Ability to win with grace/lose with honour· How to problem solve· Importance of sportsmanship/fair play· How to develop independence/accept responsibility for actions.· Importance of team work (doubles)· The social/interaction skills necessary for life.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickTennis View Post
    Research has shown that tennis is one of the healthiest, least injurious sports youngsters can play. It is lifetime sport. It builds self-confidence and self-esteem. It teaches self-discipline, self-reliance and respect for others. But, above all, it provides a good way of performing physical exercise whilst having fun. It provides a sporting activity that can be played for life. It can be played and is played by many people from age 6 to 90. It has many benefits from a physical and mental standpoint. On the physical side, it helps to build aerobic fitness, speed, co-ordination/agility and upper and lower body strength. From a psychological point of view it teaches many vital lessons for life.· Ability to deal with adversity/stress· Importance of discipline/work ethic· Ability to win with grace/lose with honour· How to problem solve· Importance of sportsmanship/fair play· How to develop independence/accept responsibility for actions.· Importance of team work (doubles)· The social/interaction skills necessary for life.
    Great words! any tennis lover should read this.
    Thanks PatrickTennis

Quote Originally Posted by Russianbackhand View Post
    Great words! any tennis lover should read this.
    Thanks PatrickTennis
    agreed. for me, tennis has helped me realize the importance of humility.

Tennis is all about good performance + not giving up meaning that you have to put it all together even if you lose.