» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 511

0 members and 511 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

ESPN Should Dump Brad Gilbert

I call Brad Gilbert the new Bud Collins. We've all seen Bud Collins in his flashy, idiotic pants and mismatched shirt standing with a microphone in his hand and making insanely stupid comments. Well, Brad Gilbert is exactly like him. Brad Gilbert, as a commentator for televised tennis on ESPN, is a disaster. He makes the most ridiculous and inane comments I have heard since Bud Collins prowled the sidelines back in the 80's. I watched the Hewitt/Del Potro match and got so tired of hearing Brad call Leyton Hewitt "Rusty Hewitt" that I was ready to pull my hair out. Then, after the match, he's sitting in the studio with the other tennis commentators and he's got on a gawd-awful, ill-fitting suit jacket with a fancy handkerchief sticking out of the pocket. Agghhhhhhh!! Please, ESPN, your Wimbeldon coverage stinks because you show too many jock-sniffers and not enough tennis. Don't make it any worse by inflicting Brad Gilbert on your audience.

I have to laugh at your post. I agree with you but to a much lesser degree on every point. The only thing you forgot to mention was his unmistakable voice. If I had the opportunity to elminate his position as a commentator, I really wouldn't do it. He brings so much history to tennis. Plus, he is funny in a strange way.