» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 739

0 members and 739 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

How do you keep a lead...?

So im always in this situation in matches:

Im a break or two up winning a bit comfortably, playing ok. Then a couple on minutes later it seems to be level again and im having to fight really hard to win the match/set.

This is happening virtually every match I play and because of it im loosing some matches that i would hope to win.

I need to be able to turn the pressure on more on the opponent when I am winning.

Is there any advice that anyone can give me to help keep a lead..?

Talking Reverse positions

Usually when you are behind, you become more aggressive. i think if you apply this in play it will be an advantage

For me, the key is to play one point at a time and only play the ball. Know what you do well and use it. Many people get analysis paralysis when playing a match. Don't. What will help more than anything is this. Eyes on the ball and only the ball. Your head must stay on the contact point. Do not look up to see where your opponent is. That is irrelevant. You only play the ball. And once you decide where you are doing to hit your shot, do it! Don't second guess yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    For me, the key is to play one point at a time and only play the ball. Know what you do well and use it. Many people get analysis paralysis when playing a match. Don't. What will help more than anything is this. Eyes on the ball and only the ball. Your head must stay on the contact point. Do not look up to see where your opponent is. That is irrelevant. You only play the ball. And once you decide where you are doing to hit your shot, do it! Don't second guess yourself.
    excellent response! your remedy is a very simple way to deal with it, yet that's what makes it so effective. i apply that even to my serve. i tell myself everytime - toss and watch. meaning toss it where you need it; if it takes a few tries then so be it. And watch the ball. i've served many aces using this ultra simple approach.

The key in tennis is balance. Period. As a player gets nervous or frustrated, they begin thinking about their opponent and they immediately want to know where they are. Big mistake. As you pull your head out of your shot, it will transfer weight up and over which is pulling out of the shot. It also causes the inner ear to have to do more work to keep your balance. If you keep your head down on the shot and stay behind the ball, you will alleviate those problems. Besides, as many matches as I have played, I don't ever remember having to hit my opponent with the racquet. So why keep my eye on them? Ball only........