» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 543

0 members and 543 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

NEED HELP: Cheaters in tennis matches

Okay, so just last week we were playing a serious tournament match.
    Now, because we are the 'advanced' group we have to umpire and score out own matches (by 'we' I mean the two players me+opponent).
    The girl I versed wasn't a very good runner and when I hit a volley she ran in but the ball double bounced. On the second bounce she hit it and I called out 'double bounce' but the girl started yelling and saying it wasn't a double bounce. then her mother came in and started arguing so the point went to the girl, this happened another 3 times.
    This is a very upsetting case and because none of the people watching realize it there is nothing I can do.
    How can I stop people from doing this?

obviously waasnt a very serious match if :
    1. the girls mother had access to the court
    2. your doing it in a group situation?

was it just training? cos who cares.

1. She wasn't in the court.
    She was just a spectator.
    By 'came in' I don't mean physically, I mean hypothetically, into the conversation.
    It wasn't a group situation, either.
    It was a singles match, not training.
    And, it was actually quite serious, whoever lost the match was eliminated.
    Why am I fighting to live, if I'm just living to fight
    Why am I trying to see, when there aint nothing in sight
    Why am I trying to give, when no one gives me a try
    Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die?
    -Tupac Shakur

After the first one occurs, you get an umpire/linesman. Don't argue, don't show any emotion. Just treat it like a job and get someone to officiate.

just remember - cheaters never win. so you won!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robyna View Post
    Okay, so just last week we were playing a serious tournament match.
    Now, because we are the 'advanced' group we have to umpire and score out own matches (by 'we' I mean the two players me+opponent).
    The girl I versed wasn't a very good runner and when I hit a volley she ran in but the ball double bounced. On the second bounce she hit it and I called out 'double bounce' but the girl started yelling and saying it wasn't a double bounce. then her mother came in and started arguing so the point went to the girl, this happened another 3 times.
    This is a very upsetting case and because none of the people watching realize it there is nothing I can do.
    How can I stop people from doing this?
    This is a problem that occurs quite often is Local Self-Called Tournaments. When I say, "Self-Called" I am referring to Matches that the two or Four Persons have to call the Lines, Faults, Score, etc. themselves. I suspect you even had to retrieve your own balls during play.

* I have seen on several occasions within Local tournament Rules, that you can actually employ the help of Bystanders in the Audience if two or more are willing to help out in calling shots. They do need to have a good knowledge of the Rules and that needs to be established before you select them.

Prior to a match, it is perfectly ok to approach a few Onlookers and ask if any would like to help out officiating the Game? More than likely you will get several people who won't mind helping out because it makes people feel important. But you then must say, we need to ask some basic question to determine your knowledge of the Rules. You can decide on what to ask between yourself and the other Players but I would suggest standard questions like"

1. Do you know how Tennis is Scored?
    2. Do you know how Tie-Breakers are scored?
    3. Do you know what happens in a tie-breaker every 6 points?
    4. What happens during active play when a Player touches the Net?
    5. If debris comes onto the Court during Play?
    6. What is the meaning of 'Let' when someone is serving?
    7. On a Player's second serve, how many times can they serve the ball of each time the ball touches the net before it enters their opponents service box?
    8. Do you know the meaning of a Foot Fault?
    9. Can a Receiving Player stand anywhere they want awaiting a serve?
    10. How many points does a Player need to win a Tie-Breaker?

Of course there are many more situations that an Official needs to know but if a person knows these questions you can rest that they probably would be a good candidate for helping out.
    __________________________________________________ __________

If that is not an option then the only other thing you can do is establish before the Match begins that in a dispute on a line-call you will agree to simply replay the point. Replaying a point is probably the very best way to resolve a problem like the one you had because you are basically saying, we both are firm in the way we saw it and this is a comfortable solution to our disagreement.

Good Luck - Let us know the next time you have this issue

Coach
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Tennisking1: Yes, I've showed as little as emotion as I can. And thank you, that is a good idea.

Lawntennis: Yeah! (: Even though she still didn't win, if she had won she wouldn't have actually won the game.

Coach: Yes, thank you so so so much! Those are all great questions and a wonderful idea! and yes we actually do have to do everything for ourselves however I have seen spectators willing to volunteer so I think it could be a solution.
    Why am I fighting to live, if I'm just living to fight
    Why am I trying to see, when there aint nothing in sight
    Why am I trying to give, when no one gives me a try
    Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die?
    -Tupac Shakur