» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 531

0 members and 531 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis Angel View Post

Try it - Richard Williams did and got pretty good results...

Is it not a little too brave to place Williams in this context

!www.mytennistory.com

In Depth Description of Bringing a Child Up a Competitive Ladder with Advices and Recommendations
    Last edited by Bubo; 08-29-2009 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis Angel View Post

Oscar also offers a certification program for parents to insure proper application of his methodology, whether the child is being coached by the parent or someone else.

We desagree completely on the issue of tennis complexity.You say that is simple and easy, and I say it is very complex and difficult.

Every one who is in tennis knows how difficult is just get a kid to play over a net using proper form!

To do something more is more and more difficult.

Good coaching is good teaching, and this requires a lot:

- right coaching phylosophy,
    - good communication skills,
    - understanding athletes¨a motivation
    - knowledgeable, motivated, and emphatic coach.

Besides that, a coach has to know subject matter very well.There is not substitute for a thorough understanding of techniques, tactics , and knowledge associated with tennis.But one needs to know more than being able to apply these skills as an athlete.One needs deeper understanding.One needs to be able to take apart and put back together the techniques, and tactics - to see them from different angles, to apply, adapt, integrate, and critically evaluate them for each athlete.

Coaches who are master teachers do far more than just present the techniques and tactics;they provide their players with real understanding about them.They help them understand how each technique and tactic fits into the total picture of the sport.They strive to provide them with insight so they can make intelligent decisions about how to perform.With better understanding , players are able to take greater responsibility for their own learning.

All these cannot be so simple and easy so that one certification program will do it.

I had many parents who share your opinion.They would see me teaching their kids, and they would see how much progress they made so it seemed easy to them;so they can do it themselves.Why would they pay me money when they can do it themselves?Pretty soon they found out that it is not that easy, but it was too late because of their poor judgement their children were out of tennnis for good.

They were not able to replicate what they saw me do it, the same as parents who take your certification program would not be able because they do not possess through understanding of techniques, tactics, and knowledge associated with tennis.

www.mytennistory.com

In Depth Description of Bringing a Child Up a Competitive Ladder with Advices and Recommendations
    Last edited by Bubo; 08-29-2009 at 08:22 AM.

I never experienced such a joy as when I taught my daughter tennis.As you two (parent and kid) make progress, I think this joy multiplies.I do not know if there is better feeling than to make professional player (and decent human being ) Sneakers out of your child.The problem is that very few parents are aware of this fact at the time when is happening so they do not experience it at its fullest at the time of happening.The reason for that is enourmous stress which takes part in bringing a child up the competitive ladder.

Oscar's Theory of Simplicity

Quote Originally Posted by Bubo View Post
    We desagree completely on the issue of tennis complexity.You say that is simple and easy, and I say it is very complex and difficult.

Every one who is in tennis knows how difficult is just get a kid to play over a net using proper form!

To do something more is more and more difficult.

You are right, Bubo, I couldn't (respectfully) disagree with you more! You are very knowlegable so I won't debate your success or your reality, but for me and for thousands of successful professional coaches around the world, the beauty of the system we teach is it's utter simplicity, which frees the player to operate on a computational level very different from the "complexities" of the mind. This system has been developed with tremendous care, thoroughness and expertise over a 40 year period, and it is constantly evolving, but it's basic tenets hold fast and true. It draws from the techniques of the greatest experts in the sport, the best players in history. In fact, these experts often could'nt even put into words what they do. Modern tennis methodology makes it possible for players of all ages and levels (from preschoolers to pros) to draw on this data without complicating and, thereby, destroying the player's feel. For more on how the "complicated" game of tennis has been perpetuated but is finally being replaced with the "power of simplicity" read the "Real History Of Tennis" http://www.moderntenniscoaches.com/f....php?f=20&t=13
    Last edited by Tennis Angel; 09-18-2009 at 06:40 PM.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

Hi. I'm trying to teach my 4 year old son right now! I keep it very very basic. I only make the lessons 20 minutes because that is about all his attention can handle. So far I have worked on his timing the ball and hitting. I don't care where he hits the ball, just hit it. Now I'm trying to teach him to place it. That is harder Anyway. Good luck with your kid!

Quote Originally Posted by patsensei View Post
    Hi. I'm trying to teach my 4 year old son right now! I keep it very very basic. I only make the lessons 20 minutes because that is about all his attention can handle. So far I have worked on his timing the ball and hitting. I don't care where he hits the ball, just hit it. Now I'm trying to teach him to place it. That is harder Anyway. Good luck with your kid!
    Have you seen the blow-up punching bags that stand up on their own after being blown up? They have shapes such as people and animals. If you can find two of them, buy them and use them as targets. If it's windy, they can be hard to get to stay in one place, but they are awesome for getting little ones to concentrate on hitting to a target. If they hit the target 5 times, they get a prize. It obviously doesn't have to be the blow-up dolls, anything will work, but those things really do add a bit of fun to the session. I learned that from Pat Cash's head coach back in the day.