» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 794

0 members and 794 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Roger's Cup Unlikely Victims

If you like drama, in one day the Roger's Cup in Montreal had more than most can handle. Yesterday the spectators witnessed not only Jo-Wilfried Tsonga come back from a double break deficit in the 3rd set to over take none other than World's #1 Roger Federer. Then as the dust settled on court walks two more very heavy hitters, Andy Roddick against World's #4 Novak Djokovic, who played pretty good tennis but not good enough to beat the American. Well you would think that's certainly enough shockers in one day for this US Open warm up tournament but you would think wrong because the night match featured World's #2 Rafael Nadal against Juan Martin Del Potro, who added to the thrills of the day by walking away with a victory over Nadal. Well as Dick Enberg would say, "Oh My".

In other Tournament play on the women's side, the immensely popular Kim Clijsters has made her official comeback by demonstrating her dominance over all she faced including this year's French Open winner Svetlana Kuznetsova. This is a strong indication that this years US Open is going to be nothing less than a coin toss on the ATP & WTA.

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

i was shocked at first, but all considered it's not that surprising. Andy Roddick is the world number 5 versus Novak Djokovic one spot higher at number 4. Roddick has shown that he has what it takes. not just at Wimbledon but also back in 2003. Juan Martin Del Potro has defeated a healthy and ready Rafael Nadal just four months ago. I really didn't expect Nadal to win. The biggest shock was Roger losing while only one game away from victory with four tries to do it. We've all seen Roger choke before (especially recently) so even this wasn't overly dramatic.

With new baby girls and the Grand Slam record in hand, Federer is going to have to find a new motivation to be on a tennis court. He nor his children or even grandchildren will ever have to worry about money either, so the only thing motivating him right now is his love for tennis and the chance to increase his lead over Sampras. Those cute little girls probably stay on his mind while he is on the court. He also doesn't have his normal group in the crowd does he? Was his wife there? I would seriously doubt it. It's been a while since he has not had her in the stands. He may need to get a lifesize doll made of her and have it put in the player's box. As for Rafa, he needs a few losses to make him angry so that he can refocus on the game. He'll be back. I doubt he has a ton of matchplay under his belt on hardcourts. With his knee hurting, he probably started back up on clay and then did some minor hitting on hardcourts to get used to the speed and bounce.

anyone want to guess who's going to win the atp 1000 tournament?