» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 584

0 members and 584 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lead tape

lead tape

I am playing recreationaly tennis for about 14 months,have Dunlop 3hundred 16x19 racquet,tecnifibre redcode 1.25 strings,Strung Weight: 10.8 Ounces
    Balance: 33.75cm / 13.3 Inches (HL)......
    thinking about puting some lead tape to the racquet head,maybe gaining some stability..
    open to all opinions

what about your shots don't you like? is this a consistency issue?

I strongly recommend lead tape. You will get used to the weight of the racquet. It will increase stability and allow the racquet to "plow" through the ball. Light racquets tend to cause arm issues. I personally use racquets that are customized to 14.5 ounces. Volkl Quantum 10 Tours........

wow, 14.5 oz! that's some heft. where do you normally put the extra weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    wow, 14.5 oz! that's some heft. where do you normally put the extra weight?
    At 3 and 9 o'clock. 4 three inch pieces of lead tape on both sides of the racquet. (2 on one side and then 2 on the other, then 2 on the otherside and another two on the opposite same side.)

it sounds like that would make the sweet spot much stronger but only slightly larger. maybe i should try that.

it sounds like that would make the sweet spot much stronger but only slightly larger. maybe i should try that.
    It's basically like making a 200 lb. linebacker into a 250 lb. linebacker. It really makes the racquet more stable and makes the racquet feel a little more "buttery" as it goes through the ball.

so one last question on lead tape. what kind of balance do you think your racquet had once you applied lead tape? if it were about 6pts head light, i would imagine that an ounce of weight added to the head would create more of an even balance.
    Last edited by Lawn Tennis; 08-21-2009 at 10:20 PM.

so one last question on lead tape. what kind of balance do you think your racquet had once you applied lead tape? if it were about 6pts head light, i would imagine that an ounce of weight added to the head would create more of an even balance.
    It became head heavy. The only way to tell what will work for you is to try it out on your racquet.

i use two 5" strips at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. the only thing im afraid of is adjustment. let's say i don't like the head heavy feel.. how difficult will it be to adjust back to normal? just something i need to consider.

i use two 5" strips at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. the only thing im afraid of is adjustment. let's say i don't like the head heavy feel.. how difficult will it be to adjust back to normal? just something i need to consider.
    Just peel it off. It isn't an issue. However, make sure you stretch your wrists extremely well and lift weights to strengthen yourself and your forearm. Nothing paid off for me as much as lifting weights and getting stronger. My racquets feel light to me. That wrist stretching is super important.........

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    Just peel it off. It isn't an issue.
    i didnt mean taking the lead tape off. i meant weilding a lighter, head light racquet (the adjustment from a head heavy to head light racquet). for some reason when i change even small things on a racquet my game requires modification.

i didnt mean taking the lead tape off. i meant weilding a lighter, head light racquet (the adjustment from a head heavy to head light racquet). for some reason when i change even small things on a racquet my game requires modification.
    Oh, sorry. The only way to do that is to experiment and see what fits you. I just use the heavier racquet for the extra stability and power. Headlight feels good until you begin playing with big hitters and then it feels like the racquet is going to get knocked out of your hand and the ball lands shorter. You will get used to a heavier racquet if you give it time and have a little patience. However, you still should hit with a racquet that feels good to you and not because I said that the heavier racquet is better. If the heavier racquet feels weird or makes you doubt your game, don't do it.......

most tour pros use headlight rackets because it allows for more control, and they can create the power on their own. Head heavy rackets are for those who wish to increase the stability and power behind their strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by DeFaB View Post
    most tour pros use headlight rackets because it allows for more control, and they can create the power on their own. Head heavy rackets are for those who wish to increase the stability and power behind their strokes.
    I was a tour player. Most of us put massive amounts of lead tape on our racquets. Sampras had a 15 ounce racquet and Muster used a 15.5 ounce racquet. All were head heavy after the lead tape. Warren Bosworth always got my racquets after I received them from Head racquets. I know he had Sampras, Lendl, Courier, Muster, and dozens of others as clients as well. The racquets that come from the manufacturers are just not stable enough to keep from torquing in your hand when hitting big, heavy shots. Many of the manufacturers are now making the pros racquets exactly how they want them right at the factory these days. Reason is, is that lead tape looks terrible. (Babolats looks pretty good) The manufacturers don't want their racquets looking bad on worldwide television. That might keep them from selling. I wasn't a big enough name to get my own manufactured racquet. Oh well, lead tape worked fine for me.........
    Last edited by tennisking1; 08-23-2009 at 08:41 PM.