» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 511

0 members and 511 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Top 10 Greatest comeback matches of the decade

Greatest comeback matches of the decade - Women

Sportsworld can easily be considered the best source of dramatic entertainment. An entertaining match does not just call for power and technique, but the drama that spellbinds the spectator with the nail-biting tussle. Unlike the drama we seek in other sources of entertainment, there are no pre-decided scripts here, no direction, just pure tenacity and the WILL TO WIN.

The history of tennis has witnessed many such occasions where the expected 'vanquished' has come from the brink of defeat to rejoice in 'victorious' mirth. The past decade has seen some of the best matches and with these leading ladies in-charge, there sure has been plenty of room for on-court emotions and classic display of that elusive - never-say-die' attitude that made these tennis players, a lot more than just a STAR.

Let's take a look at the 10 greatest comeback matches of the decade (2000-09) -

Serena Williams beat Elena Dementieva 2009 Wimbledon semifinal -

No Tennis-list can ever be complete without a mention of one of it's most driving force, Serena Williams. There is a reason, why Serena is such a power to reckon with. And there is a reason, why she has such a huge number of Grand Slams in her kitty. The last of her 11 Grand Slam victories didn't just come at the expense of 5 time Wimbledon champion Venus Williams, it also included the mighty Russian Elena Dementieva, who looked in phenomenal form throughout the tournament. Serena lost the opening set in a tight tie-break but bounced back to win the second 7-5 to level the match at one-set a piece. The third set saw a real scuffle between these power women as both Williams and Dementieva looked in punishing form to win their initial service games. It was Dementieva who drew first blood then to race to a 3-1 lead just to watch Williams strike harder than ever to get the break back. After saving a match point at 5-4, Williams screamed in sheer excitement, thereby clearing her intentions about the match. The third set went on for 14 games with Williams grabbing the decisive break in the second last game to close the 6-7(4), 7-5, 8-6 victory to reach the final, where she beat elder sister Venus to win her third Wimbledon crown.

Check out the complete list...!

ah yes.. comebacks. i'm tired of the tennis channel showing "the best of five chokes". i want to see "the best of five comebacks". that semi match was great. too bad Venus was somewhat injured in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    ah yes.. comebacks. i'm tired of the tennis channel showing "the best of five chokes". i want to see "the best of five comebacks". that semi match was great. too bad Venus was somewhat injured in the final.
    And the top three matches, they are all apt in their own ways.. buit i wish they could include Venus Davenport Wimby 05 final... that was awesome, one of the best matches ever

i'll have to see if i can find the match. i've only recently started to watch tennis. it's sad i missed such a great athlete, Davenport, in action.

Who is the writer?

The writer of this news piece, Rohit Sharma, i must say i have seen a lot of his articles on this site, the ones on Serena and Roger Federer were really good.....!