» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 496

0 members and 496 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Thread: Backhand.

Backhand.

Hello, I am just looking for advice on what backhand i should decide to stick too. I have a fairly solid two- hander and one. However my one hand is much more comfortable for balls with little pace, low balls, and approach shots, where as my two hander is good for muscling through high balls and serves, as well as changing directions. What i am wondering is should i stick with a two hander over the one because i am not that tall (5 ft 7) and lots of balls hit deep with topspin can come out of my contact range.
    The shortest person i know on the mens tour right now david ferrer uses a two hander.

Quote Originally Posted by DeFaB View Post
    Hello, I am just looking for advice on what backhand i should decide to stick too. I have a fairly solid two- hander and one. However my one hand is much more comfortable for balls with little pace, low balls, and approach shots, where as my two hander is good for muscling through high balls and serves, as well as changing directions. What i am wondering is should i stick with a two hander over the one because i am not that tall (5 ft 7) and lots of balls hit deep with topspin can come out of my contact range.
    The shortest person i know on the mens tour right now david ferrer uses a two hander.
    I would suggest going with what is more comfortable to you. The two hander may give you more leverage as you are not as tall. You know the weaknesses that you have on your two hander (little pace shots, low balls, and approach shots). Practice all of those shots over and over and then practice them some more. As for approach shots, use your one-handed slice or two handed drive. Pick one and go with it though. You will develop analysis paralysis if you think about it too much. The key will be to heavily practice your weak shots until you are hitting them well and you are comfortable hitting them. Good luck with it..........

Thank you very much for your insight.

I sometimes find it helpful to use a ball machine and just practice my backhands until my arm is too tired....then I switch hands

Quote Originally Posted by DeFaB View Post
    i wonder if any pros regularly use both. i know sometimes a two hander will switch to one when they need the extra reach but never use it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    i wonder if any pros regularly use both. i know sometimes a two hander will switch to one when they need the extra reach but never use it otherwise.
    I've only seen a two-handed player use one hand on the dig shots and the slice off the backhand side. It's best to choose one and stick with it. If you give yourself too many choices, you won't know which one to choose when it comes down to using it in a match. Keep it simple.

Almost every top mens pro who uses a two handed backhand also employs the one handed slice/underspin for low balls, change of pace, and wide gets.
    From Nadal to DJ, Roddick thru Safin, every one uses the one handed slice occasionally.
    So use both.

yes, i definitly would never use a two handed slice if i were a two handed backhand. The reach is limited and its just akward. What i refer to when saying one handed or two handed is the topspin shots.