» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 767

0 members and 767 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Question about service return

I started playing tennis recently with a friend and sometimes he hits his second serve so lightly that it cannot be touched without stepping into the service box. I am under the impression that you cannot step into the service box when returning a serve until the ball hits, but the hit is so soft that the second bounce isn't very high (maybe a foot or slightly less). I guess that I could stand right outside the service box on his second serve, but when I do that he doesn't hit it this way which makes it nearly impossible (for me anyways) to return from this position. Is what he does legal (I'm assuming it probably is) and if so does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks

You can stand in the service box if you want. You needn't wait for the ball to land. But you must let it bounce, before you touch it.

The only way you could be called for standing in the service box is if someone who serves hard complains about it, on the grounds that it's dangerous for you to stand in that close and you are just trying to interfere with his shot by making him fear that he'll hit you. He'd have a legitimate complaint. But that violates the Hindrance Rule, not any rule that says you must wait till the ball lands to move into the service box. And in this case you must, so go ahead.

Talking

i love henin!shes the best