» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 515

0 members and 515 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Foot placement during serve

i've been trying to some extent imitate Gael Monfils' serve - mainly his foot placement. I'm receiving criticism from some of the people I play with.. They are not particularly good at tennis, but watch it semi-regularly. Watch this video if you don't know how Monfils serves. Tell me if you think it is not a good idea to try to serve in this fashion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMCk1OK4Lw0
    Last edited by Lawn Tennis; 08-10-2009 at 11:38 PM.

Anything that feels helpful to you is good. People have different ways of doing things. Whatever feels better, more efficient and natural is OK. Try it and if you like it, keep it; if you don't then drop it.
    Oscar Wegner
    www.TennisTeacher.com
    THE LEADER in modern tennis teaching methodology.

Tippy Toes

I like Oscar's remark about trying it and if it works, go ahead and use it. Will your friends still be criticizing you if your serve improves?

Monfil's serve stance is similar to Roddick's with the feet close together at the start of the serve, flat palm of toss hand towrd the sky and deep knee bend. But, Monfils doesn't get as high up on the toes as Roddick (see first clip). The commentator mentions that Andy hits up on the ball and pronates his forearm as recommended by Oscar, but fails to notice the racket moving across to the right and that his racket approaches the ball with the edge using his triceps as if throwing a hammer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T__9ZuSID4w

If the tippytoe stance with deep kneebend works maybe you'll get a serve like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXL-gtksKY8
    Last edited by Tennis Angel; 08-22-2009 at 01:30 PM.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

Marinero o Capitan?

Hey Lawn Tennis,

Are you a Sailor or the Captain? Sailing is Oscar's other passion!
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Anything that feels helpful to you is good. People have different ways of doing things. Whatever feels better, more efficient and natural is OK. Try it and if you like it, keep it; if you don't then drop it.
    Great answer. What works for one doesn't always work for all. Besides LT, Monfils has a pretty good serve to say the least. If you like it, emulate it.

thanks for all the feedback people. while i could only dream that my serve were as good as Monfils, it won't stop me from trying. some of the critics i play with are telling me that by serving like that, i have to exert to much concentration on balance.. and that i look like im falling into the shot.

Tennis Angel: a very nice older man i play tennis with invited me to come sailing with him. it was a lot of fun even though the winds topped out at just 5 mph.

Serve the way you want, but why pick a motion used by less than 5 out of the top 1,000 players?
    Wouldn't it seem more appropriate to copy the serve of Federer or someone in the top 10?
    Most players start out stanced 18" apart, then pinpoint to feet together, to get the forward momentum of the body moving during the strike.
    If you have Monfil's talent, go for his serve. Most people don't.