» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 558

0 members and 558 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

I guess being a Seeded Player .....

Means very little these days it seems at this year's US Open 2009

This is where Bookies begin to pull their hair out. This far, it appears this Open is all about Serena Williams but the way it's been going, I'd say the front runners are:

Serena Williams
    Kim Cjlisters
    Svetlana Kuznetsova

In that order
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

upsets are good for tennis, but too much of anything is not.

I'm off to play tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    upsets are good for tennis, but too much of anything is not.

I'm off to play tennis.
    Very good point LT - as much as I appreciate the accomplishments of Melanie Oudin, to see her take out the Marquee Players may not be so good for ticket sales.

Thank God we still have the Top Guns on the Men's side and they are looking good. I find it interesting that when the Media begins to Crown Andy Roddick and Andy Murray as the hands down favorites for winning, that's like the Kiss of Death for them.

Maybe one year the Commentators can keep their predictions closer to home. There's nothing wrong with saying, "The way Andy Roddick & Andy Murray have been playing, they should go deep in the tournament this time around" I can accept that but these people take it a little too far. They pretty much tell you that Roger Federer & Rafa Nadal have little chance of winning with the conditioning that Murray & Roddick have put into their games.

I know people love an upset but come on people, Roger Federer is the holder of 15 Grand Slam Titles which is extremely hard to come by especially in today's game and the next highest number of Sam Titles comes from Nadal. And still the Commentators have the nerve to dismiss them as washed up.

I'm amazed that not one of them including the usually level headed John McEnroe came even close to getting it right this year. I'm not ready to say this looks like Rafa's year to win because the Dark Horses in Del Potro, Djokovic and Verdasco are still looming large over this year's tournament and you can't count out Tsonga who could fiind himself in the Finals should he get lucky.

On the ATP side, of the Top 15 Seeds we've only lost 2 Seeded Players. Whereas on the WTA side, of the Top 15 Seeds, 9 Seeded women have gone packing for home. And of the Top 15, Melanie Oudin beat 2 Seeded Players, who isn't even seeded.

Lastly, regardless of whether Serena Williams wins this Title, Dinera Safina will remain the #1 ranked Player in the World. And should Melanie win this title, that would only place her in the Top 20. Actually she'll be around 23 in the World. Ya Gotta Love It ...

Coach

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Lastly, regardless of whether Serena Williams wins this Title, Dinera Safina will remain the #1 ranked Player in the World. And should Melanie win this title, that would only place her in the Top 20. Actually she'll be around 23 in the World. Ya Gotta Love It ...

Coach

are you suggesting that Oudin should be higher than 23 if she wins the Open?