» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 526

0 members and 526 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Question What happened to Federer?

Everyone post here how they feel Juan Martin Del Potro was able to upset Roger Federer at the US Open '09.

Here's mine: Martina Navratilova mentioned in the fourth set of the final that Roger needed to start using his slice again. I agee with her on that, but I also feel there was an even more under-used shot. Federer has the best drop shot currently on tour. To top it off, Del Potro struggles to get droppers. Not one time did Federer use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Everyone post here how they feel Juan Martin Del Potro was able to upset Roger Federer at the US Open '09.

Here's mine: Martina Navratilova mentioned in the fourth set of the final that Roger needed to start using his slice again. I agee with her on that, but I also feel there was an even more under-used shot. Federer has the best drop shot currently on tour. To top it off, Del Potro struggles to get droppers. Not one time did Federer use it.
    Federer lost the match because he let his pride get the best of him. He was determined to outhit the 20 year old Del Potro. He seemed a bit perturbed by Del Potro's continuous late use of the re-play line system. Did you hear him chew the umpire out about it? Federer just seemed very determined to outhit Del Potro, regardless of the consequences. Federer didn't make good use of his kicker or his slice serves. He ended up hitting 2nd serves the entire match instead of take a slight bit off his first serve and making use of his spins. Funny thing is is that Federer uses the most underpowered racquet on the tour besides the Head Prestige, so it isn't exactly smart to go out there and try to outhit a big guy using a more powerful racquet. Oh well, hopefully that will be a lesson learned.

I think you're right TK. Not only did he try to out hit him in the rally, but also with serves. Roger should have used his finesse Yes I did hear him arguing with the umpire - shame shame.

28 year old legs don't recover as quickely as 20 year old legs. Both had matches on sunday and had to come back and play on 24hrs of rest. However it's good to see such a humble guy(del potro) come away with this victory. I love federer's game but del potro earned this victory. They are both class acts and postive role models for our lost youth in the U.S. to look up to!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by markiev37 View Post
    28 year old legs don't recover as quickely as 20 year old legs. Both had matches on sunday and had to come back and play on 24hrs of rest. However it's good to see such a humble guy(del potro) come away with this victory. I love federer's game but del potro earned this victory. They are both class acts and postive role models for our lost youth in the U.S. to look up to!!!!!
    Fed did have about five less hours of recovery, because he had a later match. Regardless, i don't think either player had a problem with back to back matches. They both seemed to cover the court like they just had a few days off.

Del Potro more than earned that victory. He took out the bizarre Marin Cilic, the warrior, Rafael Nadal, and the seemingly unstoppable Roger Federer.

It was nice to see that when Del Potro's big serve wasn't working, he started hitting 110 mile an hour first serves and Federer had a terrible time returning them. It really is all about placement. We will see how Del Potro handles the fame and fortune now. The women of Argentina are hard to say no to. So are the dance clubs. We shall see if he can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    I think you're right TK. Not only did he try to out hit him in the rally, but also with serves. Roger should have used his finesse Yes I did hear him arguing with the umpire - shame shame.
    that was funny
    and it was only a small argument.
    i get that he'd do it.. it was quite a important match. and i agree with him - it was late to challenge. in the aus open they had this whole row about that lady who versed Jankovic challenging to late but here even though it was a final they allowed it.
    Last edited by Robyna; 09-17-2009 at 01:21 AM.