» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 405

0 members and 405 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Need help, forehand and mental troubles.

Okey, hey again!

Today i played first round in a competition in Sweden and i play'd against a guy that i won over last year. I did win this time too, but it was tough and the annoying thing is that i'm 20 times better then him.
    Anyways to the problem, we played on plexipave and the final score was 1-6 6-2 6-1. During the first, second and half of the last one i couldn't hit ONE SINGLE FOREHAND that was good! It's a wierd feeling that i get, it's like my right arm turns into spaghetti (lol) and it feels like the pressure of the rack is 33 pound and it's so annoying, the balls either goes into the net or out!
    I know the problem, it's all in the head, but it's impossible to get it out and i have no idea how to do it.
    My backhand goes fine and i have no trouble to go on the ball and hit it, but on forehand my arm locks itself and i do just get over topspin and the ball goes down the net. I use alot of topspin on my forehand and i guess that's why i have to go on the ball for every hit and not choke.

Later i play'd double on clay and i probably did my best match i have ever play'd, i don't know how i did but in that match i didn't have the feeling and i could hit every ball really well. (Had alot more self belive)
    Please help me, anyone give me some tips how to avoid those moments, or prevent them from comming. I really want to develop my game!
    I got second round tomorrow and i hope someone could give me some good advice for tomorrow.

Thanks! / Erik
    Last edited by Erik; 09-17-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Okey, hey again!

Today i played first round in a competition in Sweden and i play'd against a guy that i won over last year. I did win this time too, but it was tough and the annoying thing is that i'm 20 times better then him.
    Anyways to the problem, we played on plexipave and the final score was 1-6 6-2 6-1. During the first, second and half of the last one i couldn't hit ONE SINGLE FOREHAND that was good! It's a wierd feeling that i get, it's like my right arm turns into spaghetti (lol) and it feels like the pressure of the rack is 33 pound and it's so annoying, the balls either goes into the net or out!
    I know the problem, it's all in the head, but it's impossible to get it out and i have no idea how to do it.
    My backhand goes fine and i have no trouble to go on the ball and hit it, but on forehand my arm locks itself and i do just get over topspin and the ball goes down the net. I use alot of topspin on my forehand and i guess that's why i have to go on the ball for every hit and not choke.

Later i play'd double on clay and i probably did my best match i have ever play'd, i don't know how i did but in that match i didn't have the feeling and i could hit every ball really well. (Had alot more self belive)
    Please help me, anyone give me some tips how to avoid those moments, or prevent them from comming. I really want to develop my game!
    I got second round tomorrow and i hope someone could give me some good advice for tomorrow.

Thanks! / Erik
    Ok, here is how to fix your issue. Find a plexipave court before your match and hit with a friend. Spend a good 20-30 minutes hitting and play some tiebreaks. Now, play the ball only and keep your head on the contact point while going for the heavy topspin. Think about the word "up". What do you need to do to hit the heavy topspin correctly? Hit "up". Everytime. Do not change that tactic, even when going for your winners. Always hit up on them and use your topspin. Keep those feet moving as well. They need to move even more on surfaces you are not comfortable on. You will do fine. Just go out there and play your game, win or lose. Good luck........Let us know how you do...........Move your feet extra on that plexipave.....

i do wonder if you were just worn out. if you are malnourished to some extent, it's easy to lose your balance and touch. Maybe eat what you did before your clay court match.

Okey guys, thanks! i let you 2 know later today how the matches goes:P

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    i do wonder if you were just worn out. if you are malnourished to some extent, it's easy to lose your balance and touch. Maybe eat what you did before your clay court match.
    The match was on the morning and i did eat breakfeast before it, so i don't think that was the case because i wasen't tired or anything:S. In the last compeition i had the same experience that i had yesterday, in the first round.
    Last edited by Erik; 09-18-2009 at 12:19 AM.

Okey guys, thanks! i let you 2 know later today how the matches goes:P

The match was on the morning and i did eat breakfeast before it, so i don't think that was the case because i wasen't tired or anything:S. In the last compeition i had the same experience that i had yesterday, in the first round.
    One more thing. Make your biggest thought be about your movement. Don't think about your forehand and anything else. You know what to do. If you think about moving like a cat and having super quick feet and perfect balance, you will find that many of your issues go away. Bjorn Borg baby!

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    One more thing. Make your biggest thought be about your movement. Don't think about your forehand and anything else. You know what to do. If you think about moving like a cat and having super quick feet and perfect balance, you will find that many of your issues go away. Bjorn Borg baby!
    Right, so now i play'd the matches. First tennisking, i would like to thank you about the "saying up" thing on forehand that you said. It worked very well! I guess my next step is to get more aggressive, and start to kill some shots. I'm mostly defence, but i got the winner shot but i'm just to scared to use it cause of the risk missing it:S. What could i do to improve it? Just train harder? and go for the shot on training? But it's still not the same as it will be when it's a real match;\.
    I won the first one on clay 6-0 6-0 (that was in the B class). In the A class i play'd against a guy whos 28th (i think) in Sweden (1991) on plexipave.
    The final score was 6-2 1-6 6-4. I lost and played to defensive, specially on my forehand. But i guess i did better then yesterday, but i shoulda have won this match, had 4-3 0-40 in hes serve, in the third set.

Right, so now i play'd the matches. First tennisking, i would like to thank you about the "saying up" thing on forehand that you said. It worked very well! I guess my next step is to get more aggressive, and start to kill some shots. I'm mostly defence, but i got the winner shot but i'm just to scared to use it cause of the risk missing it:S. What could i do to improve it? Just train harder? and go for the shot on training? But it's still not the same as it will be when it's a real match;\.
    I won the first one on clay 6-0 6-0 (that was in the B class). In the A class i play'd against a guy whos 28th (i think) in Sweden (1991) on plexipave.
    The final score was 6-2 1-6 6-4. I lost and played to defensive, specially on my forehand. But i guess i did better then yesterday, but i shoulda have won this match, had 4-3 0-40 in hes serve, in the third set.
    Congratulations on the clay win. What grip are you using on your forehand? Don't change the way you swing. Always keep it low to high. If you use a western grip, you may want to go a touch toward the semi-western on the shots you want to be winners. It's very normal to vary your grips at times and if you adjust your grip just ever so slightly, you will not have a problem. Sometimes, defensive players go to extreme topspin western grips and that is okay, but you have to be able to flatten that ball out ever so slightly for winners. You need to find a partner or coach who is willing to play tiebreaks or points where you are doing nothing but attacking every shot possible. That's tough to do, but you will get better and better at it as you do it more and more. After each game, play a consistency game where you try to hit 50 balls in without a miss and then rotate and play the aggressive game. Do not push the ball in the consistency game either. Hit it. You will eventually play like you practice. As for a game plan, between points, you should be deciding exactly where you want to go with your first shot. Even if your opponent hits a great shot, your focus on hitting that shot will keep your mind on a task and not panicking that your opponent just hit a good shot. Do not play your opponents game, rather get out there and dictate how you want the match to go. That means a game plan before each point is played (at least a general idea, because there will be times when your opponent hits a great shot and you will just clap), but when you have time, you need to have a pattern of how you want to hit. Waiting to decide where you want to hit the ball when the ball is upon you is a recipe for disaster. Ask me about any of this if you have any questions.

Congratulations on the clay win. What grip are you using on your forehand? Don't change the way you swing. Always keep it low to high. If you use a western grip, you may want to go a touch toward the semi-western on the shots you want to be winners. It's very normal to vary your grips at times and if you adjust your grip just ever so slightly, you will not have a problem. Sometimes, defensive players go to extreme topspin western grips and that is okay, but you have to be able to flatten that ball out ever so slightly for winners. You need to find a partner or coach who is willing to play tiebreaks or points where you are doing nothing but attacking every shot possible. That's tough to do, but you will get better and better at it as you do it more and more. After each game, play a consistency game where you try to hit 50 balls in without a miss and then rotate and play the aggressive game. Do not push the ball in the consistency game either. Hit it. You will eventually play like you practice. As for a game plan, between points, you should be deciding exactly where you want to go with your first shot. Even if your opponent hits a great shot, your focus on hitting that shot will keep your mind on a task and not panicking that your opponent just hit a good shot. Do not play your opponents game, rather get out there and dictate how you want the match to go. That means a game plan before each point is played (at least a general idea, because there will be times when your opponent hits a great shot and you will just clap), but when you have time, you need to have a pattern of how you want to hit. Waiting to decide where you want to hit the ball when the ball is upon you is a recipe for disaster. Ask me about any of this if you have any questions.
    So you think lots of training will make those winner shots better on match too? I'll try that thing with game plan today, jesus there is so many factors to think of in tennis. I wish i had my own coach, that was only focusing on me and not everyone else as our trainers does, i guess you need a coach to get somewhere today? Is that right? Did you have a coach on your road?
    You could coach me! (jokes):P But seriously, are you working as a coach today? You seem to know alot, so you should do that.

Thanks once again tennisking!

- Erik

So you think lots of training will make those winner shots better on match too? I'll try that thing with game plan today, jesus there is so many factors to think of in tennis. I wish i had my own coach, that was only focusing on me and not everyone else as our trainers does, i guess you need a coach to get somewhere today? Is that right? Did you have a coach on your road?
    You could coach me! (jokes):P But seriously, are you working as a coach today? You seem to know alot, so you should do that.

Thanks once again tennisking!

- Erik
    Keep it simple. It isn't terribly hard at all. You get used to it. And , oh yes, the winner shots will get better as you practice them. Part of it is getting the confidence to hit them and the only way to get that confidence is to practice them enough to where you feel good about it. Also, when training, lift weights and strengthen yourself. It will make a HUGE difference. I don't mean lift like a bodybuilder, but you need to lift weights. Strengthen your lower back and abdominals as well as everything else. The stronger you are, the more control you will have over your movement, your body, and your racquet. Also, as you get stronger, you will increase your swing speed which will increase power and rotation on the ball. This will make a very noticeable difference. It will really help with your balance. Here is what I am saying to sum it all up: I liken this to traveling to a destination. You are trying to get somewhere. You have to make a plan and have direction in order to get there (your game plan. Both a long term plan and match plans). In order to get there, you have to have a good, reliable vehicle (your body. Lifting weights, sprints, and running will make it strong and reliable) as well as put good gas in it (good food). I am looking to get back into coaching full-time. I got a bit of burnout and started working in the bank industry, but I still work with college players on the side. I want to get back into real coaching though. Sweden seems like a cool place and I know the women are considered to be the most beautiful in the world. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe I need to be coaching over there.........

Okey man, thanks! You've help'd me alot

Sweden seems like a cool place and I know the women are considered to be the most beautiful in the world. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe I need to be coaching over there.........
    Yes you should! xD and yes the womens are very beautiful (not everyone but the most are lol) you should coach me to the atp's:]. Na, but it really is a great country. I'm thinking of collage after this year (last year now in a tennis highschool here in sweden), I'm not sure yet though but as i really want to succee in tennis i guess that's the way i have to go. I could train my as off everyday, but the hard part with tennis is that you have to be two peoples and i don't think anyone in this school have the motivation to play 6+ hours each day like i do. It's so annoying, if i just had someone to play with i would defently definietly spend my time alot more then i do now (training around 2-4 hours today).
    That's the bad part with Sweden, most of the peoples are very lazy (specially in the north) and i guess that's why we never becomes those "very" good players. BUT I WILL! one day, i hope.
    I guess i'm one of those guys who need a coach.

Okey man, thanks! You've help'd me alot

Yes you should! xD and yes the womens are very beautiful (not everyone but the most are lol) you should coach me to the atp's:]. Na, but it really is a great country. I'm thinking of collage after this year (last year now in a tennis highschool here in sweden), I'm not sure yet though but as i really want to succee in tennis i guess that's the way i have to go. I could train my as off everyday, but the hard part with tennis is that you have to be two peoples and i don't think anyone in this school have the motivation to play 6+ hours each day like i do. It's so annoying, if i just had someone to play with i would defently definietly spend my time alot more then i do now (training around 2-4 hours today).
    That's the bad part with Sweden, most of the peoples are very lazy (specially in the north) and i guess that's why we never becomes those "very" good players. BUT I WILL! one day, i hope.
    I guess i'm one of those guys who need a coach.
    Too bad i don't really know anyone over there with any pull in tennis. I would definitely come over there and coach. I used to coach with a guy named Rickard Berg at Hopman Academy, but I haven't seen him since 2000 and he had made his home over here in the states. Tell you what, you find me a position that pays well over there and I will come over there and show you guys how its done. Best thing to do is to have a coach and two players to be trained at the same time. 2 on 1 drills and such. I bet that tennis school is pretty cool. Probably close to the same as Bollettieri and Hopman. Are the coaches all Swedish? Hmmm.....It would be interesting to coach in Sweden. I like cold weather anyway. Hot women and cold weather........What a great combo......

Too bad i don't really know anyone over there with any pull in tennis. I would definitely come over there and coach. I used to coach with a guy named Rickard Berg at Hopman Academy, but I haven't seen him since 2000 and he had made his home over here in the states. Tell you what, you find me a position that pays well over there and I will come over there and show you guys how its done. Best thing to do is to have a coach and two players to be trained at the same time. 2 on 1 drills and such. I bet that tennis school is pretty cool. Probably close to the same as Bollettieri and Hopman. Are the coaches all Swedish? Hmmm.....It would be interesting to coach in Sweden. I like cold weather anyway. Hot women and cold weather........What a great combo......
    Yeah it would be cool to have you as coach but i'm not really sure if i'm in the position to find you a position unfortunately. We have like 4-6 trainers (two of them are only here a few weeks) employeed and yes all of them are swedish coaches. What collages do you coach for right now?

Yeah it would be cool to have you as coach but i'm not really sure if i'm in the position to find you a position unfortunately. We have like 4-6 trainers (two of them are only here a few weeks) employeed and yes all of them are swedish coaches. What collages do you coach for right now?
    I just work with guys who are on different college teams. Usually juniors just before they head to their first year of college. I work with them for a few weeks and mostly on weekends. Not enough for me. I am looking to go back to it full time and get out of the financial industry. Sweden needs some outside coaching. You guys used to be the powerhouse back in the 80's, but it seems like they haven't really pulled in much coaching talent from outside of the country. You may need to tell your coaches what you need to work on and/or find someone to train with you that wants to be really good. The best way to learn is to teach. No kidding............

I just work with guys who are on different college teams. Usually juniors just before they head to their first year of college. I work with them for a few weeks and mostly on weekends. Not enough for me. I am looking to go back to it full time and get out of the financial industry. Sweden needs some outside coaching. You guys used to be the powerhouse back in the 80's, but it seems like they haven't really pulled in much coaching talent from outside of the country. You may need to tell your coaches what you need to work on and/or find someone to train with you that wants to be really good. The best way to learn is to teach. No kidding............
    Yeah i know, with Mats Willander, Stefan Edberg and Bjorn Borg. That's true, they don't take any coaches outside of the county, maybe that's what they should do. I acctually found a guy and asked him yesterday, and he said yes but i'm not really sure, how much do i have to train every day? What did you train in my age? 4h ea day? including strength and stamina? 5h? I did read your training schedule as a pro tennis player, was that what you train'd at my age too?

I've thought about the forehand issues and i think that when my backhand is so safe (i do hardly never miss with it) and i really go in for the ball, it makes me feel comfortable on that side and i'm thinking, please let the ball go on my backhand when the opponent hits. But if i got 3 backhands in a row, and the fourth ball goes on my forehand and i know for myself that i can do that over top right down the net and in the same time i also know that if i don't hit it with lenght he will probably makes it even harder for me to go for the next shot that comes. So that just makes my forehand far away from feeling comfortable. But what i thought about what i could do on training, is that i should go around and stop hitting that backhand that feels comfortable and instead go in for that forehand (not on those super cross's or straight shots that i have to take with my backhand, but the rest) cause my forehand is alot better. Maybe if i do that and train that alot i will get use to it and do the same thing on match. What do you think? Does it sound okey?
    Last edited by Erik; 09-20-2009 at 09:29 AM.