» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 517

0 members and 517 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Are you a believer ??

Ok... So Whats everyones view on aliens you know life beyond earth, reincarnation and ghosts... I myself believe in them all... What about everyone else...?

i think it would be silly to think we are the only ones in the universe. it's so massive. i don't know how intelligent or unintelligent these life forms may be, but there's no doubt in my mind there is something out there.

I believe that there is life beyond Earth. There are far too many planets in the universe, hundreds of billions, for Earth to be the only one that just happened to end up with life on it.

When I was in college one of my professors did an analysis and determined, based on mathematical probability, that there are at least 50,000 planets in the known universe which are capable of supporting life as we know it.
    TennisW.com Network Administrator
    www.TennisW.com

i suppose he has employed the theory that the universe is still expanding and at the speed of light...

Do you guys realize that when a person passes that they have proven that a release of energy is detected. No kidding. A form of energy (the soul?) going somewhere. I am a firm believer in God and His goodness. Why should we believe we are the only ones anyway? I think the answer is too big for us to comprehend. I find it very inspiring though the number of doctors and such who firmly believe in God. If there is one profession that would test my beliefs, it would be that profession. If we were created in God's image, it must mean that God has an imagination. And if God has an imagination, I am sure He created more than just us on this one planet. Once He got the ball rolling, many things were created that we are just learning about.

Cool... So im not the only one who believes... Everyone seems to believe in life beyond earth but what about reincarnation...?

i think this life that we know has a one-way door. in other words, reincarnation is just wishful thinking made up by people who can't imagine anything beyond this world.

I never understand why we born - then die. What's the freaking point of that.

I really enjoy every very day of me living (although at the moment is pretty painful) but the thought of I will die after x years really bugs me.

I believe in god and because I am more of a christian, so the reincarnation thing is pretty much out of the picture for me.

I probably should of mentioned im catholic... I dont know why but i find it easier to believe in reincarnation rather then heaven having pearly gates and st peter on the gate and all this... I do believe in heaven just also believe in reincarnation... Its probably cos of my sister dying at birth... I just think she deserved to live and i kind of hope reincarnation exists but anyway... Who believes in ghosts...? I do...

Quote Originally Posted by andylo View Post
    I never understand why we born - then die. What's the freaking point of that.

I really enjoy every very day of me living (although at the moment is pretty painful) but the thought of I will die after x years really bugs me.

I believe in god and because I am more of a christian, so the reincarnation thing is pretty much out of the picture for me.
    I think it is a leap of faith. We come here to learn and interact with only the belief in God and His words that try and help us along and keep us on the path that is best for us. We establish an identity while we are here with a name and stories to tell. We then die and move on with an actual knowing of who we are. My uncle was a quarterback with the San Francisco 49ers back in the 60's and he contracted Lou Gherig's disease from the "vitamins" they gave him when he would get injured. He fought it for 6 years and then one morning, he brought his wife and kids into the den and told them that the Lord had come to him in the night and said that he would be leaving the next night. He was content and so sure of it. His family put it in the back of their minds. He kissed them goodbye that night and when they awoke the next morning, he had passed. How could he have been so sure? I believe. His family sure does too. (You can google him. Bob Waters and type in football as well. Pretty inspiring story.)

Lots of people told me they rather not knowing when they will die.

To me if I am going to friggin die anyway, tell me when please! So I can plan my life a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    i suppose he has employed the theory that the universe is still expanding and at the speed of light...
    The professor's number of planets that could support life was based on the estimated number of planets in the universe and the random probability of having the right combination of elements that could support life.

If I'm remembering correctly, he gave all elements the same probability. So, it was basically a permutation of the known number of elements, then the percentage of the combinations which could sustain life (as we know it) and finally multiplied by the approximate number of planets.

That was just a very rough random estimate.

It would probably be more accurate if the estimated quantities of all the elements could be considered as well. For example, if there is 10x more hydrogen in the universe then that probably means the chance for hydrogen to be present is 10x more likely, so that would change the random chances of it being present.
    TennisW.com Network Administrator
    www.TennisW.com

Thats very interesting john... Does if work in a university or where...? Sounds really good...

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The professor's number of planets that could support life was based on the estimated number of planets in the universe and the random probability of having the right combination of elements that could support life.

If I'm remembering correctly, he gave all elements the same probability. So, it was basically a permutation of the known number of elements, then the percentage of the combinations which could sustain life (as we know it) and finally multiplied by the approximate number of planets.

That was just a very rough random estimate.

It would probably be more accurate if the estimated quantities of all the elements could be considered as well. For example, if there is 10x more hydrogen in the universe then that probably means the chance for hydrogen to be present is 10x more likely, so that would change the random chances of it being present.

i'm with ya on the view that there is more life out there. but i find it hard to put any trust that theory simply because it is a very rough estimate based on rough estimates at best. still, that's interesting.

I don't believe for one minute that we (humans) are the only sentient beings in the Universe. And having said that, I'd sure as heck like to meet and play tennis with an "alien"