» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 508

0 members and 508 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

How do I play recreational tennis?

I know it doesn't sound right. But IMO: recreational tennis more difficult than competition tennis.

With the comp. tennis. You serve hard, put effort on ground stroke to setup volley, step up, step up again and finish your opponent on the net. Finish! Then do it again.

With recreational tennis... I personally find it quite difficult. All the time being you just trying to keep the ball... in play Often the ball return without speed.

Case 1: If you just carelessly try to bounce it back, it will either get under the net; Or goes a tack too high and your partner usually find it hard to return the shot and if one does, it will be even higher!

Case 2: If you put extra power to rip thru the shot with top spin, sometimes it is too hard for the partner and they can't return it!

Case 3: Slices - they usually mis-judge how the ball will react to the ground. Return a rather poor one and repeat the scenario of Case 1 or just air swing.

Has anyone have any insight on how to keep the ball in play in the recreational environment?

i know what you're saying. i still play with a group of people i have out-grown. it keeps my footwork in check. i will assume that you just want to have long rallies regardless of pace. try hitting your shots with very little top spin and pace.. and always hit it to their forehand. also, try playing more of a mini-tennis game.. keep the balls short.

Correct assumption LT. I am still 1/2 arse about my top spin control but the mini tennis is a good idea. Thanks