» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 713

0 members and 713 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Hey, when you say to really turn on the kick serve, i know you mean the shoulders.. but how much of the torso turns? is it the whole body following the shoulders or just torso?
    I mean really turn, not just your shoulders. Really rotate the trunk as well because if your hips don't turn and your shoulders do, they will only unwind too quickly and pull you out of the upward motion you need. If the toss is correct, it will normally keep you turned throughout the shot. Overhead and around 11:30. You can adjust the number position according to your preferences, but 11:30 is optimal. I tend to turn my feet as well to keep everything inline as well. Now, I stand in the ready position when serving totally normally, but as I step up and turn my body, my feet pivot as well. (I platform serve. Bringing the feet together.) I stayed turned through the shot while still uncoiling hard and up into the ball. That is why the kick serve tends to hurt people's backs a little. You need to do lower back exercises to strengthen that area to avoid any problems......Get the feel of it. I say it is a feel shot and that will make more sense to you when you start hitting it just right. Your hand snapping up and around the back of the ball is the key thing you need to feel.......

Quote Originally Posted by tennisking1 View Post
    I mean really turn, not just your shoulders. Really rotate the trunk as well because if your hips don't turn and your shoulders do, they will only unwind too quickly and pull you out of the upward motion you need. If the toss is correct, it will normally keep you turned throughout the shot. Overhead and around 11:30. You can adjust the number position according to your preferences, but 11:30 is optimal. I tend to turn my feet as well to keep everything inline as well. Now, I stand in the ready position when serving totally normally, but as I step up and turn my body, my feet pivot as well. (I platform serve. Bringing the feet together.) I stayed turned through the shot while still uncoiling hard and up into the ball. That is why the kick serve tends to hurt people's backs a little. You need to do lower back exercises to strengthen that area to avoid any problems......Get the feel of it. I say it is a feel shot and that will make more sense to you when you start hitting it just right. Your hand snapping up and around the back of the ball is the key thing you need to feel.......
    And that's actually why I was asking. After an hour a practicing kick serves, my back begins to feel sore. I bet I need to get more of my body into it as well, not that mine is that bad.. just that it could get better for sure. Good work once again, TK.

Hey, I have another question. I'm not extremely tall, but I want to hit hard 1st serves. (just 5'6) I know justine henin uses the party stance and puts her entire body into it, and that works for her. However, other players... williams sisters... they use pinpoint stance+ party stance and hit pretty good serves too. (the hardest lol) what would you guys recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by 03White View Post
    I understand that placement is more important then just power, but I'm wondering, TK, when you were a pro, how did you manage to accelerate your serves more/ add more spin.
    I've hear about supination (sp.?), but I'm not really sure how that works.

OH, and LT, that cobra sere is certainly helping, ty

What is a cobra sere?

Cobra serve. LT showed a video on how to accelerate your serve on the page.

OK, Thank You.

Found the vid...thanks again.

I think I actually already use a technique similar to this, and I think of it as a bullwhip action. The looser I am the better it works, and as soon as I tighten up, it stops working. Cobra is an excellent name for it though. I first learned how to do this similarly from one of Oscar's lessons to improve my 2nd serve with more spin (which it did). Are there differences between the two that I should be aware of? One way for more power and the other for more control (spin)?

I also remember back in the 70's, the Armitradge (sp) brother's looked like they would whip their racquets when they served. It was a beautiful sight watching them serve under the lights at night as their highly polished metal racquets would flash smoothly over their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Chips2000 View Post
    Found the vid...thanks again.

I think I actually already use a technique similar to this, and I think of it as a bullwhip action. The looser I am the better it works, and as soon as I tighten up, it stops working. Cobra is an excellent name for it though. I first learned how to do this similarly from one of Oscar's lessons to improve my 2nd serve with more spin (which it did). Are there differences between the two that I should be aware of? One way for more power and the other for more control (spin)?

I also remember back in the 70's, the Armitradge (sp) brother's looked like they would whip their racquets when they served. It was a beautiful sight watching them serve under the lights at night as their highly polished metal racquets would flash smoothly over their heads.
    Interesting Chip. Do you have a video demonstrating the 'bullwhip' serve? The cobra serve works great for second serves as well. I just hope 03White sticks with it.. It can be tough to sacrifice now for later.

^I am trying to stick with it. It's sort of difficult, but hey since i have aspirations to be a pro, i ought to get used to making sacrifices.. lol.
    To my earlier question.
    I am using the cobra serve, but I wonder if you have recommendations for what stance I ought to use.
    Party-current
    Pinpoint-don't think i will
    Pinpoint hybrid-am considering.
    Thanks.

Interesting Chip. Do you have a video demonstrating the 'bullwhip' serve? The cobra serve works great for second serves as well. I just hope 03White sticks with it.. It can be tough to sacrifice now for later.
    Sorry, but I don't. I just call it that to remind myself of the action that it feels like to me. I just got Oscar's updated DVD set, and will keep in mind to find where I originally saw (or maybe read about in his book) the techniques he was teaching. I gave my old set to a newcomer to tennis, and have just started watching the new ones. I will also study the Cobra serve to find out if it can improve on my technique. but I am initially thinking it is the same motion with a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by 03White View Post
    ^I am trying to stick with it. It's sort of difficult, but hey since i have aspirations to be a pro, i ought to get used to making sacrifices.. lol.
    To my earlier question.
    I am using the cobra serve, but I wonder if you have recommendations for what stance I ought to use.
    Party-current
    Pinpoint-don't think i will
    Pinpoint hybrid-am considering.
    Thanks.

Good Don't expect substantial gains and you'll be fine. Slow down your motion while using the cobra so that your muscles can build memory. If you try to push it without laying the fundamentals, you could injure your arm, shoulder, or back. After a month of practice, matches, and analysis, everything will come together. As far as your stance.. are you sure you don't step into your serve? The party stance otherwise known as the platform stance allows one to impart more spin naturally. I would definitely keep the party stance especially since you're 'only' 5'6". Lastly, I think the platform (party) stance compliments a serving grip unlike the pinpoint. And I certainly wouldn't change now that you're learning the cobra serve unless you really want to entirely change your service game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chips2000 View Post
    Sorry, but I don't. I just call it that to remind myself of the action that it feels like to me. I just got Oscar's updated DVD set, and will keep in mind to find where I originally saw (or maybe read about in his book) the techniques he was teaching. I gave my old set to a newcomer to tennis, and have just started watching the new ones. I will also study the Cobra serve to find out if it can improve on my technique. but I am initially thinking it is the same motion with a different name.
    That would only make sense. If they are different, I bet the end result is still the same - to simply accelerate the racquet head more effectively.

I would like to know what people think of the abbreviated serve employed by Roddick.

Here's a slow motion analysis:

Ain't he on roids? -
    Why am I fighting to live, if I'm just living to fight
    Why am I trying to see, when there aint nothing in sight
    Why am I trying to give, when no one gives me a try
    Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die?
    -Tupac Shakur