» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 593

0 members and 593 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do the pros use a flat serve ever?

Does anybody know the answer? I'm sure Ivo Karlovic has a flat serve, but what about more average sized pros (5'11" - 6'2")? Placing even the least bit of top spin on a serve creates a noticeable decrease in speed (especially during a heavy top spin or kick second serve).

Yes, but what most people call flat have some spin on them, since at 9.5 feet off the ground there is almost no straight angle to the service box.
    This video kind of helps:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe4MomUhq5k

Yeah not much room for error there, and Federer is about average height for a male pro. He is definitely coming up on the ball to some extent. Are you saying that particular serve would probably be considered flat? thanks for the video.

I'm saying most of Federers first serves are flat or slice. The same applies to most touring pros I think. I just wish someone could explain the spin on a flat serve as it's something that kind of baffles me. If it sounds like I'm not quite sure what I'm talking about it's because I learned this stuff from watching tennis on tv ;<
    Last edited by clock-; 10-10-2009 at 12:46 AM.

okay, i hear ya. that particular of serve of Feds is a mixture of a top spin and slice serve (probably 8 to 2) instead of 7 to 1 -or- a true kick serve of 6 to 12.

here's a great video from FYB explaining the kick serve:

You'll have to go through several of his videos to get the whole story. I actually learned the kick serve with some success through watching this video and a few others.

I learned spin serves from FYBs videos, and by hitting myself in the head with a lot of balls before I found the right contact point. This video in particular:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xbC31AQqSg
    I would say the third serve is "flat". The thing I like is you can see all the spins Federer puts on the ball, and tell how he does it by the angle of the racket at contact.

Quote Originally Posted by clock- View Post
    I would say the third serve is "flat". The thing I like is you can see all the spins Federer puts on the ball, and tell how he does it by the angle of the racket at contact.
    Great video. High rate of frames per second

That is absolutely as flat as they come. Federer would be a less likely person I'd expect to see a flat serve from. Good work finding that. So that settles my question

I learned spin serves from FYBs videos, and by hitting myself in the head with a lot of balls before I found the right contact point. This video in particular:
    Note in this clip of Roger serving how (especially in the 2nd and 4th example)
    he hits across the ball from left to right, imparting topspin, and how high the ball kicks after the bounce on those serves.
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

You're right.. the guy has to reach above his head!

Hit Up

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    You're right.. the guy has to reach above his head!
    A most amazing tip: hit up on the serve. ?! Yes, up. You will note that when a club player hits a first serve into the net he will automatically hit up on the second serve to correct and be sure the next ball goes over the net. He probably doesn't know he's doing this, he just instinctively does it to get the ball over the net and in the service box. Watch and you will see this every time (unless he double faults - LOL). You can learn to use your triceps instead of your shoulder to drive the serve motion, which will impart more power and prevent injury.

A fantastic drill is to hit a bucket of balls over the fence from outside the court about 20 or more feet away. This forces you to hit up on the serve or the ball won't clear the fence. Then go on the court and start serving. You will be shocked to see that the ball lands in the box. I have used this drill with students from as young as 6 years old up to seniors. Players are shocked at how it works. It builds confidence. It proves that you must hit up on the serve (not down).

When you have gotten the feel of hitting over the fence from far away try standing close to the fence (within 10 feet or less) and see how close to the opposite side of the fence you can land the ball. Hit up and at contact move the racket from left to right. This drill teaches ultimate spin for a killer kick serve. You will laugh at your opponents screaming in frustration at this high-bouncing, top and sidespinning kicker. For this and other drills go to:
    http://www.tennisteacher.org/Lucy/Fr...hapter%21.html
    How good can your game get? You too can play like the Pros with The Wegner Method.
    Discuss The Wegner Method here at TW in the MTM forum or visit www.tennisteacher.com for more info.

So how do you get them to fast enough that people can't stand back and tee off on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis Angel View Post
    A most amazing tip: hit up on the serve. ?! Yes, up. You will note that when a club player hits a first serve into the net he will automatically hit up on the second serve to correct and be sure the next ball goes over the net. He probably doesn't know he's doing this, he just instinctively does it to get the ball over the net and in the service box. Watch and you will see this every time (unless he double faults - LOL). You can learn to use your triceps instead of your shoulder to drive the serve motion, which will impart more power and prevent injury.

A fantastic drill is to hit a bucket of balls over the fence from outside the court about 20 or more feet away. This forces you to hit up on the serve or the ball won't clear the fence. Then go on the court and start serving. You will be shocked to see that the ball lands in the box. I have used this drill with students from as young as 6 years old up to seniors. Players are shocked at how it works. It builds confidence. It proves that you must hit up on the serve (not down).

When you have gotten the feel of hitting over the fence from far away try standing close to the fence (within 10 feet or less) and see how close to the opposite side of the fence you can land the ball. Hit up and at contact move the racket from left to right. This drill teaches ultimate spin for a killer kick serve. You will laugh at your opponents screaming in frustration at this high-bouncing, top and sidespinning kicker. For this and other drills go to:
    So how do you get them to fast enough that people can't stand back and tee off on them?
    I have a kick serve, but as clock mentioned, some people like to tee off on them. Until I can get some more depth on the serve, I will be using a top spin serve. Thanks for the tip TA. I will try that tomorrow.

The idea is to get the ball to bounce so that it kicks up and sideways; the receiver has to wait an eternity and even then it might take an unexpected turn and be way above his ideal strike zone, so he will be in a defensive, not offensive mode. He'll be lucky to get the ball in play, meanwhile, you're ready for his weak, defensive return.

most amazing tip: hit up on the serve. ?! Yes, up. You will note that when a club player hits a first serve into the net he will automatically hit up on the second serve to correct and be sure the next ball goes over the net. He probably doesn't know he's doing this, he just instinctively does it to get the ball over the net and in the service box. Watch and you will see this every time (unless he double faults - LOL). You can learn to use your triceps instead of your shoulder to drive the serve motion, which will impart more power and prevent injury.

So when hitting a kick serve is it normal to keep the racquet face a bit closed?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis Angel View Post

so i finally got the opportunity to try this out. first i must say it was fun. it didnt take long for me to adjust my serve to make it over the 10ft high fence. now i measured the distance from me to where my ball needed to drop for it to be a good (in the service box) serve. only once did it drop in the imaginary box aside from when i would take mega amounts of power off. i just couldnt get enough top spin on it. i was hitting up into the ball as best i could. any suggestions?