» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 789

0 members and 789 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    To my good friends LeeD & TennisKing ~

Surely a good argument to the mechanics of watching the ball upon contact has more to do with getting back to the basics which is what one needs to do whenever you find yourself having trouble on the Tennis Court. But it's the same as active awareness of your footwork and/or positioning as well.

The more advanced (better) you get at this the less you have to think about it. It just occurs during play. We all know this, any 3.5 Player knows this but we tend to forget when shot production is going off or you find yourself pulling up on your shots or hitting up off the back leg because we get so hung up on watching the ball, we watch it too long.

The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    To my good friends LeeD & TennisKing ~

Surely a good argument to the mechanics of watching the ball upon contact has more to do with getting back to the basics which is what one needs to do whenever you find yourself having trouble on the Tennis Court. But it's the same as active awareness of your footwork and/or positioning as well.

The more advanced (better) you get at this the less you have to think about it. It just occurs during play. We all know this, any 3.5 Player knows this but we tend to forget when shot production is going off or you find yourself pulling up on your shots or hitting up off the back leg because we get so hung up on watching the ball, we watch it too long.

I will never believe anyone will watch the ball too long. It is inevitable that one will look up upon finishing contact, but watching the ball in is truly one of the things that I coach (and always did). Does it work for me? I am still a 6.0 to 6.5 player who breaks the seventh main string from the bottom every single time I break a string. I rarely hit the ball outside of a very small area on the racquet. I break strings daily. I rarely have bad days when I play and I attribute most of that to actually keeping my eye on the ball. Many may say, "well, you are at a level where that matters more" and I say that I only got to this level because of good training techniques. Heck, I say try both ways. Try keeping your eyes on the ball and your head down and see if you hit better shots than you do when you pull your eyes off the ball and pull out of the shot. Time for the classic Pepsi vs. Coke comparison! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    I never mentioned anything remotely close to "watching with the corners"...

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    As with most other ball sports, lots of "knowledgeable" people would say to watch it into the strings/hands/glove/wicket/stick....
    But reality is, you only have to track it from it's source thru to within 3-5' of your recieving end..ie your racket.