» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 626

0 members and 626 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Hi and let's chat

I can be emailed at eztennisswing@yahoo.com. I have watched with amusement the debate over Oscar Wegner. Two years ago I switched to teaching his system with incredible results. I have met Oscar personally and believe I know his method as well as almost anyone in the United States given I have been studying tennis theory much of my life looking for the answer I should have had in 1990 but was warned to stay away from by the leading coaching authorities of the time. Today, all leading coaches, and I have a picture of Van DeMeer and Oscar together I took at the US Open last year, all use his stuff and I was shocked to see Dennis talk about his videos with such high praise given I know how differently they taught for years. I was first USPTA certified in 1984 and Oscar was surprised at how well I remembered the Tennis Magazinie review of 1991 which savaged his method and has since been proven wrong. I note www.tennisone.com just did a nice tribute to Oscar as their slo mo vidoes show top pros hit using his techniques and so they now claim "history proved him right." Oscar didn't need video to find that out, as Bud Collins noted on public record a new breed of topspin players started showing up in Spain in 1973 coached by Oscar Wegner. I have never found Oscar to exaggerate anything. Borg could choose any coach to make his comeback or praise anyone. Why did he praise Oscar so? Because he knew the truth of modern tennis. To Tennisparent, I would like to address a few points for you also, in particular. I hope I can provide a helpful point of view to maybe fill in our American USA obsession with science and technical explanation for a game that I am now convinced is played on a "spiritual" or "somewhere closer to the subconcious" level. I welcome any questions, objections and concerns. I have heard them all before or had them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by teachestennis
    I can be emailed at eztennisswing@yahoo.com. I have watched with amusement the debate over Oscar Wegner. Two years ago I switched to teaching his system with incredible results. I have met Oscar personally and believe I know his method as well as almost anyone in the United States given I have been studying tennis theory much of my life looking for the answer I should have had in 1990 but was warned to stay away from by the leading coaching authorities of the time. Today, all leading coaches, and I have a picture of Van DeMeer and Oscar together I took at the US Open last year, all use his stuff and I was shocked to see Dennis talk about his videos with such high praise given I know how differently they taught for years. I was first USPTA certified in 1984 and Oscar was surprised at how well I remembered the Tennis Magazinie review of 1991 which savaged his method and has since been proven wrong. I note www.tennisone.com just did a nice tribute to Oscar as their slo mo vidoes show top pros hit using his techniques and so they now claim "history proved him right." Oscar didn't need video to find that out, as Bud Collins noted on public record a new breed of topspin players started showing up in Spain in 1973 coached by Oscar Wegner. I have never found Oscar to exaggerate anything. Borg could choose any coach to make his comeback or praise anyone. Why did he praise Oscar so? Because he knew the truth of modern tennis. To Tennisparent, I would like to address a few points for you also, in particular. I hope I can provide a helpful point of view to maybe fill in our American USA obsession with science and technical explanation for a game that I am now convinced is played on a "spiritual" or "somewhere closer to the subconcious" level. I welcome any questions, objections and concerns. I have heard them all before or had them myself.
    No prob, I'll email ya.

Hi, methods and way of teaching....

I have not been coaching 20 years or so, may be half the time or less but I learn from experiences that the old method taught everything that may co ordinate the shot but may be they forgot that after all we have to make sure we hit the ball and hit it towards a desired target, that to me is basic tennis. I saw oscar's dvds and everything, it has some sense and I use it along with whatever I know and it makes whatever I know better. It's not that I would use exactly what he says but to my understanding I try to make someone's tennis learning simple and fun and it works.

I have a question to parents that send kids to tennis academies. I live in new york state and had a really interesting conversation with my director. They believe that in a group lesson all kids should be "moving their feet" at all times and we're looking at a 2 hour lesson. I am told by my director that parents are watching my court and why in the hell are those kids waiting for their turn not moving their feet. My friend on the next court made the kids do push ups as a punishment for not moving their feet and the director told him to cut it out, I yelled loud enough and repeated enough as well to make the kids move their feet but it's quite hard for a kid to move feet for two hours constantly. My director told me that kids might be thinking of me like "F*** you" because I am yelling to make them move their feet and am not giving them consequences for not moving their feet and I believe they would because I am making them do something that is useless waste of energy. My director told me that he would not pay me if I am not doing my job which makes me wonder if my job is to make sure kids play games challenging to their level and learn something from what I may know or make sure I beat the crap out of the kid's energy level in two hours by forcing them to move their feet that last half an hour the kid does nothing but push the ball and try not to chase it because he's getting cramps from moving his feet for an hour or more. I wanna know if parents really want their kids to be moving their feet constantly and is it o.k. if the lesson looks like a lesson and doesn't actually do anything to improve a kid's game. I know that the kids that take private lessons with my director are pretty good at their game and some of them end up getting 100 % scholarship in college but I also see the kids that are just the same as they were about 3 months ago with not a bit of difference in their game.