» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 685

0 members and 685 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Here, I mentioned just few cases of abusive behaviour by parents, parents/coaches, coaches, referees, and tennis officials.

Abusive behaviour will always exist;even if everything goes perfect everybody on the way to become professional is abused one way or another.Professional tennis (especially while one climbs) is like that.Nobody can avoid getting scars on the way to become professional tennis player.This abuse is normal;one would say professional risk.

Question is just how to stop abuse which is not necessary?The abuse which is not mandatory, excessive abuse which may have permanent negative consequences on player¨s mental and physical health.

In my opinion the best way to minimize this abuse is to have national tennis federations which are well organized with set rules led by competent tennis people .The better national tennis federation the less abuse in national tennis.

www.mytennistory.com

In Depth Description of Bringing a Child Up a Competitive Ladder with Advices and Recommendations
    Last edited by Bubo; 08-19-2009 at 09:40 AM.

There is one more thing which I would like to say about abusive behaviour.In my opinion they are three main reasons which trigger this kind of behaviour:

- lack of knowledge and experience, and abusive behaviour serves as protection
    - personal problems (lack of self esteem)
    - extreme stress

Abusive behaviour is almost impossible to avoid, but a coach¨s duty is that he/she from time to time look back and analyse what was going on so that in the future is able to behave in better way.

Here, there is another important point to make;never attack player as a person, but instead his actions or behaviour.

www.mytennistory.com

In Depth Description of Bringing a Child Up a Competitive Ladder with Advices and Recommendations
    Last edited by Bubo; 08-19-2009 at 09:41 AM.

So, TK1, are you suggesting a junior player perfect technique, and then go to an academy?

Quote Originally Posted by 03White View Post
    So, TK1, are you suggesting a junior player perfect technique, and then go to an academy?
    Yes, I do believe that is best. There needs to be more personal attention when developing the strokes. Once they are strong and in place, however, academies are great. Lots of competition and getting used to being around good players. It's kind of like living at a tournament. Beginners need good foundations and I would recommend you checking out any academy you were interested in and seeing if they have a beginner program. Many do, many don't.

Oh, tk, I've had a problem when I've been practicing on a ball machine.
    The balls come really, really fast, and I could hit them, but after I hit, the racquet starts to fall out of my grip. If i grip really hard, then my wrist hurts.
    Have you any suggestions?

Oh, tk, I've had a problem when I've been practicing on a ball machine.
    The balls come really, really fast, and I could hit them, but after I hit, the racquet starts to fall out of my grip. If i grip really hard, then my wrist hurts.
    Have you any suggestions?
    Make sure your racquet is not too light. If the ball is coming really hard, a lighter racquet will not be as stable. Also, try the Wilson Pro Overgrips. I use the perforated ones. They have small holes and actually work extremely well in keeping the racquet from turning in your hand. Your arm will get stronger as well.

Would you consider 10.1 oz too light? (unstrung)
    I alternate between the Prince 03 White and Prince 03 Hybrid Hornet MP.

Would you consider 10.1 oz too light? (unstrung)
    I alternate between the Prince 03 White and Prince 03 Hybrid Hornet MP.
    Too light. 10.1 ounces is way light in my opinion. There should be something more in the 11.1 ounce or greater area that would work better for you. It will make the racquet more stable and you will get used to the weight the more you play with it. It will benefit you in the long run. I promise..................

The problem is that I can't afford a new racquet at this time. (I pay for my own) Should I just add lead tape?

The problem is that I can't afford a new racquet at this time. (I pay for my own) Should I just add lead tape?
    It's a good idea. Try starting with four 1 inch pieces at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the head. That should help. Be patient if it feels heavy. Your arm will get used to it and it will eventually get easy. Keep the topspin up as the head-heavier racquet will send the ball long without that topspin. You will be able to hit a heavier ball eventually......

Quote Originally Posted by Bubo View Post
    Here, I mentioned just few cases of abusive behaviour by parents, parents/coaches, coaches, referees, and tennis officials.

Abusive behaviour will always exist;even if everything goes perfect everybody on the way to become professional is abused one way or another.Professional tennis (especially while one climbs) is like that.Nobody can avoid getting scars on the way to become professional tennis player.This abuse is normal;one would say professional risk.

Question is just how to stop abuse which is not necessary?The abuse which is not mandatory, excessive abuse which may have permanent negative consequences on player¨s mental and physical health.

In my opinion the best way to minimize this abuse is to have national tennis federations which are well organized with set rules led by competent tennis people .The better national tennis federation the less abuse in national tennis.

www.mytennistory.com

This is a very interesting discussion. The Fair Play Principle. (But first my credentials) In a previous life I was a tennis coach (but now I am involved in football youth development (soccer = football). I live in Australia, but have managed to travel to many parts of the world on sport-related matters. Anyway…

These issues of parents, coaches, officials, governing bodies abusing the established Codes Of Conduct is a definite parallel in both sports. (All sports in fact).

It is quite clear that a problem at the root of this issue is simple injustice. It appears that only the extreme Code Of Conduct abuses are addressed or even taken notice of. Consequently, the result is that pushy parents, coaches etc DO SUCCEED. All that these Code Breakers have to do, is avoid making bomb threats and they will remain free to do as they please. And to compound the issue, Governing Bodies are either complicit by failing to recognize this (eg = injustice) or, as unfortunately is the case in some instances, these Governing Bodies are actually involved in creating & supporting an unjust system. (eg. = injustice without a chance of appeal because you are affectively appealing to the same people that are a party to your grievance.)

I am not someone that is in favor of strict enforcement nor zero-tolerant Draconian measures. Considering myself something of a “realist”, these issues are something one needs to be aware of, and one needs to accept them as “practical issues” that will remain in the background of player development. Strategies to counter the negative effects are utmost in my “realistic” approach. Nevertheless, I applaud this discussion. I wish there was more.

Transparency & accountability would obviously help. Publicity and discussion also.