» Stats

Members: 13,751
Threads: 3,124
Top Poster: Lawn Tennis (1,095)
Welcome to our newest member, RX48

» Online Users: 529

0 members and 529 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 1,727, 02-25-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Open: An Autobiography by Andre Agassi

I'm going to show you an excerpt from Andre's book [Open: An Autobiography] which is due for release on November 9th that is causing hoopla in the Media this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Agassi
    Andre Agassi used crystal meth while he was playing professional tennis, according to a new autobiography to be released next month.

The Times of London plans to serialize the book and released details on Tuesday which describe how Agassi came to use the drug and how he avoided discipline by the ATP.
    In 1997, Agassi was struggling with his game and with his decision to marry actress Brooke Shields. His assistant, identified as Slim, introduced him to the drug, according to the excerpt.
    "Slim is stressed too ... He says, You want to get high with me? On what? Gack. What the hell's gack? Crystal meth," Agassi recounts in the book. "Why do they call it gack? Because that's the sound you make when you're high ... Make you feel like Superman, dude.
    "As if they're coming out of someone else's mouth, I hear these words: You know what? F*** it. Yeah. Let's get high.
    "Slim dumps a small pile of powder on the coffee table. He cuts it, snorts it. He cuts it again. I snort some. I ease back on the couch and consider the Rubicon I've just crossed.

Ru•bi•con ( roo“bi-kon”) n. 1. A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment. [Latin Rubic Rubicon-Rubicon, a short river of north-central Italy, the crossing of which by Julius Caesar and his army in 49 B.C. began a civil war] *None of Agassi’s triumphs have ever seemed impossible or even improbable to me.

"There is a moment of regret, followed by vast sadness. Then comes a tidal wave of euphoria that sweeps away every negative thought in my head. I've never felt so alive, so hopeful -- and I've never felt such energy," Agassi says.
    Andre Agassi has always been my favorite Player on many fronts. He came on the scene pretty much the way I thought fit him. He was like the Ali of Tennis, somewhat loud & flashy but fully capable of backing it up. For me, being a devoted baseline player, I enjoyed the style he brought to the game so I don't have many words of criticism in his direction.

In this book, Andre speaks of doing Crystal Meth and enjoying it. But what if anything does crystal meth do for your game? I played a Final's match once in Ariz. that I was unaware of. Previous to getting the call to play the match, I drank a beer or two knowing nothing of the impending battle. So I get a call inquiring if I might be interested in filling in for a Player who couldn't fulfill his obligation to play a Final's Match. The other Opponent apparently showed up and with that could have simply walked up to the Desk to claim his prize, however given I said Yes I will play, they informed him they found a substitute who would play him and he agreed. This of course meant in order for him to claim the Winner's Trophy, he had to win the match.

This shouldn't have been a problem since a drank a couple of beers in our 98 degree temperature. But for some reason, I found myself very relaxed, cooled down and expecting nothing other than hitting a few balls for fun. He didn't stand a chance and the ending score proved it. Nothing having played any of the Tournament matches, I blew him away, got the Trophy and T-Sheet and basically embarrassed him bigtime.

So my point is this, we're only talking about a couple of beers here. Andre's poison was Meth, I suppose anything that relaxes you could be considered against regulations if it enhances your ability but does it really do that?

What's your take on this?

Coach, you're back again. Congratulations on your win while in a stooper.

Andra Agassi dropped in the rankings around that time, didn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Tennis View Post
    Coach, you're back again. Congratulations on your win while in a stooper.

Andre Agassi dropped in the rankings around that time, didn't he?
    Yes I believe you are right given Meth does not enhance your game as I said before, it actually slows you down mentally (not physically). But I don't think Meth had anything to do with his drop. Agassi wasn't on Meth nor took that much to make a real difference in his game, which is why I'm wondering what was his point in mentioning it in the first place(?)
    The only acceptable loss is when your opponent was better than you on that given day.
    It is never acceptable to lose when your opponent was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Yes I believe you are right given Meth does not enhance your game as I said before, it actually slows you down mentally (not physically). But I don't think Meth had anything to do with his drop. Agassi wasn't on Meth nor took that much to make a real difference in his game, which is why I'm wondering what was his point in mentioning it in the first place(?)
    Ok, I see. I haven't read the book. The fact that he only did it once means he likely didn't have to withdraw and/or recover as you are insinuating. I heard a couple weeks ago Agassi stated that Federer and Nadal's reign is coming to an end. Now we hear this. Maybe he just wanted the spotlight again

There is nothing relaxing about meth. It creates a cocaine-like euphoria and speeds you up. Supposedly it last for hours. That is why truck drivers tended to use it. It kept them awake so they could drive long routes without stopping. Agassi had bad company and it affected him. He had a bad moment and tried something he shouldn't have tried. He used it for awhile as he was in a depressed state in his life and was looking for something to make him feel better about himself and his surroundings. I like the fact that he had the guts to confess and it probably made him feel a lot better about himself once he came clean. Anyone screaming about Hingis (I used to be her traveling hitting partner and I never knew she knew what a drug was.) or any of the other players who have tried drugs? At least he didn't say that he kissed someone and the meth got into his system. What a farce. Agassi is a good guy who has had some issues in his past. Name someone who does have a skeleton or two. Tiger Woods just dropped the ball didn't he?

TK, I completely agree with you. Andre is like the 95% of the world's populations: a person who makes mistakes, tries to learn from them, and has good intentions beneath the human errors we are all susceptible to. The man has made a real effort to help others and still is which life is all about.